Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 7 : French GP (Paul Ricard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

FIA now highlighting turn 6 for track limits but looking at the session, seems that there's a dip on the apex on turn 5 that's unsettling the cars as they approach turn 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Nice insight there from Rosberg on what is happening at Mercedes and with Lewis. Speaking from experience you would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nice insight there from Rosberg on what is happening at Mercedes and with Lewis. Speaking from experience you would imagine.

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hijpo wrote: »
    Can it be definitively said that merc cars are not the same?

Not on the basis of one weekend. Only had practice so far. I'd say if Lewis asks for a new chassis, he will be given it - Bottas was told to have more confidence in the car.

What did he say?

The other lads were talking about the chasis change, how they have four, but one was more or less wrote off in Imola.

Brundle was of the opionion that Mercedes rotate the chasis and that was why Lewis got Bottas' one.

Niko said he reckons Lewis would have requested it and told the team he wanted to try it out to try and figure out what was wrong with his car.

It hasn't made much of a difference now that he has it and Niko reckons that will have affected Lewis even more, that it will be in his head now about is it the car, or what is it?

Something along those lines from memory, I just think Niko will know more than Brundle about the internal workings of the Merc team and maybe even Hamilton's mind.

*disclaimer - this is from memory (in case i come across as a Lewis hater) , I just like listening to Rosberg.

• Advertisement

I am getting a bit tired of these red flags, we were getting some nice camera and chopper work of Gasly and then his team mate Tsunoda in the barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Red flag early doors. Yuki Tsunado going off.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Tsunoda hasn’t exactly been lighting it up this season. I know he’s a rookie but he’s been having a mare for the most part.

Some shudder there on the replay, you can see the car was all locked up, that has to have caused some major damage you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

He needs to get a move on, taking forever to clear his car and get going again.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Tsunoda hasn’t exactly been lighting it up this season. I know he’s a rookie but he’s been having a mare for the most part.

Well it’s been a fine line with him. When he lines it up he’s shown some glimpses of real talented but when it goes wrong it goes really wrong.

That rear wing looks in a bad way.

Looking good for redbull.

Horner reckons Merc have about a half a second from fp3 when they play all their hand - he never said if redbull were running full tilt.

Max nearly 7/10ths clear of both on the first run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hijpo wrote: »
    They said bottas was running a higher power mode than Hamilton. What's the point of that? They are restricting there potential championship winner with a lower power mode and a potentially worse chassis??

Then both had the same power mode there and bottas was still two tenths quicker apparently.

I have 13 minutes of FP3 left to watch.

engine modes aren't legal anymore though

Decent lap from Hamilton there to go with 2/10th's - probably won't see him again in Q1.

Ferrari struggling a bit, LeClerc in particular.

Schumacher bins it for another red flag.

Disaster of a session for Lance Stroll.

Stroll : “Should I go this lap ?”

Team: you’ve no choice.

That sums Stroll up in a nutshell, he put in a decent effort on his first run but has it deleted for exceeding track limits. Has speed but makes too many mistakes at times when it counts.

And qualy over with Schumacher in the barrier, shame for Mick his first run was impressive ahead of both Williams.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Russell was on a flier on that lap. Was only 0.3 off Max after S2

Red flags to me used to be for serious issues on track but they seem to be used for any time a driver goes off.

• Advertisement

Schumacher gets into Q2! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Disaster for Stroll.

It is kind of mad that we've seen 2 red flags in Q1, there looks to be so much space

That hit for Mick had the look of a gearbox killer. Be amazed if he doesn't have to take a new one

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Red flags to me used to be for serious issues on track but they seem to be used for any time a driver goes off.

Aye but the alternative is a load of messing with drivers going faster through the yellow flag zone and pretending that they slowed down enough.

With how much technology has advanced I don't understand why the red can't "roll" around the track. Much like on the opening lap there's a crash at turn 1 and instant safety car. Sure just let them race til the last few corners and we might get some excitement.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Disaster for Stroll.

It is kind of mad that we've seen 2 red flags in Q1, there looks to be so much space

There is space off the track but it’s like every track is going to be treated like Monaco and Baku(where given the tightness of the circuit need red flags at times).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The problem these days is that track marshals have to enter the track. No driver is going to be able to set a fast lap on double yellows anyway. So it's not a bad idea to neutralise the track for safety reasons.

I do agree that it would be better if the clock could be reset somewhat to get in a warm up lap before a flying lap.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

They really need to review the rules around cars causing red flags and then benefiting from them. First LeClerc in Monaco, now Schumacher. Nothing against either driver, but it seems to me inherently wrong that they can benefit from stopping a session while the likes of Stroll today get hugely disadvantaged by it. Even if they just add 2 minutes to the remaining time to give those on a flying lap at the time their chance to complete it would be fairer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

duploelabs wrote: »
    engine modes aren't legal anymore though

You're just now allowed crank up the engine for quali and then tune it down for the race

The Mercs might be running different power depending on the condition of the engine, or differences in the setup necessitating a higher engine mode

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There is space off the track but it’s like every track is going to be treated like Monaco and Baku(where given the tightness of the circuit need red flags at times).

Aw no, I absolutely understand why they need the flags to protect the marshalls - I meant that it's mad that we've seen 2 cars in the barriers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Get in there Checo!

Advertisement