Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing school for 3rd year

• 18-06-2021 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just wondering if anybody has ever changed their child's secondary school in 3rd year or is it even a possibility?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anything is possible and people move children between schools for many reasons, but it can be a bit messy for the school the child is going to. There are many considerations such as subject options, foreign language choice, level your child is doing (and would like to go into) in each subject, already established classes and groups etc.. It's far easier for the new school to take them after the JC, ideally to do TY, so they get a sense of the child to help them choose correctly for LC.

Short answer, it's possible but can be disruptive for the school and for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I had 3 students come into my 3rd-year class this year from different schools. Some adapt and fit in straight away, but I think it would be much easier to make the move in TY when it's all new and classes are mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skirwan36

Thanks for replies. My reasoning is - we moved when my son was due to enter 6th class- he didn’t mind doing one year in local Irish school but really wanted to go back to original district to continue his second level education through Irish. We obliged his request as he had his heart set and is a very good school.

But It’s been a trek and difficult with a very large family to get him to and from school and no local school bus. The long hours travelling and very early mornings and late evening collections are killing us. His current school is in a different county.

The new school has a local bus service and would work much better with our family in every way. We have 8 kids, 6 in school (3 different schools - preschool, primary, secondary with 4 different collections).
    He is a good student and takes change very well.

Is there a new junior cycle now - would results be transferable?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shin123

Hi my daughter changed school last September for 3rd year, I was lucky that the school agreed to take her as they said they don't usually take newbies in during exam year.

It was the best decision for her, she is so much happier now. I teach junior cycle myself and we take students in for 3rd year every year.

My advice would be to contact the school and ask for your son's cba's, he would have completed these throughout 1st and 2nd year, I know a lot of time was lost due to covid but I'm sure he has completed some of them.

Look into the subject choice in the new school also as he may have to sit something he hasn't done before, my daughter had to take on French which she had never studied before but thankfully the exams were cancelled so she didn't have to sit it.

I hope this helps and that everything works out for you both :)

Advertisement