Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dennys and Galtee brands being sold to a US entity

• 18-06-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0617/1228804-kerry-group-to-sell-meats-and-meals-business-for-819m/

Kerry Group's shares rose today after it announced plans to sell its consumer foods' meats and meals business in the UK and Ireland to US food company Pilgrim's Pride for €819m in cash.

The meats business includes branded and private label meats, meat snacks, food-to-go and meat-free products in the UK and Ireland.

The brands include Denny, Galtee, Richmond, Fridge Raiders and Rollover.

Big staff numbers
    4,500 staff work in the businesses that have been sold, with around 3,000 of those in the UK.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

No great loss, for all their talk & marketing they aren't even Irish pork sausage.
    No Bord Bia mark on either brands.
    During the horse meat scandal years ago, Denny was the only brand left on the shelves.
    That tells you plenty where they source their raw pork material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Who owns what these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Terry.. wrote: »
    Who owns what these days

I'd say if you saw a list of brands the top 10 food companies in the world own you'd be astounded at the number of products controlled by very few companies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Moved to CA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Kerry Group's shares rose today after it announced plans to sell its consumer foods' meats and meals business in the UK and Ireland to US food company Pilgrim's Pride for €819m in cash.

In cash?! :eek:

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Full of ****ing gristle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Absolute muc

Badum tshhh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tabnabs wrote: »
    In cash?! :eek:]

Cash as a legacy thing, they are probably using Revolut by now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Both Galtee and Denny's have been shyte for a very long time. Support smaller brands and buy locally made products.

Meat has turned to terrible muck over the past 20 years, I eat it at the most 3-4 times a week. I never thought I'd say that, but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They'll do a Cadbury's on it for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ongarite wrote: »
    No great loss, for all their talk & marketing they aren't even Irish pork sausage.
    During the horse meat scandal years ago, Denny was the only brand left on the shelves.

Denny, or their holding company...or whoever, ship chicken in from Holland, slice it and wrap it in packaging saying "made in Co Wicklow".

Buy local from small suppliers, fcuk this misleading bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Kerry Foods bought Galtee in 2009.

Pre takeover Galtee ham was Bord bia approved
    Galtee sausages were 75% pork

And

DairyGold butter was the closest thing to real butter in taste. Now it’s low low ****e see attached

Denny pudding uses Turkey meat instead of pork

We love monopolies here in Ireland

Tayto Crisps purchased by largo and then bought by intersnack which owns KP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Tabnabs wrote: »
    In cash?! :eek:

giphy.gif

It means they aren't paying for it by issuing me shares in the purchaser to the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Moved to CA

California? That’s miles off

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And

DairyGold butter was the closest thing to real butter in taste. Now it’s low low ****e see attached

Never had a problem spreading dairygold or the taste of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

ongarite wrote: »

Denny screams cheap, bland bottom of the barrel meat products. Avoid them at all costs if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Galtee black pudding flavoured toilet cleaner anybody?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I think Kerry/Denny have done a good enough job of that themselves already! Unless they reduce to spam level meat next

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Absolute muc

Badum tshhh

Underappreciated post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

And

It uses a small bit of turkey in addition to pork. But then, if you're fussy about the ingredients of your food, you're probably not the target market for a 1.50 chubb of white pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

They couldn't have chosen a more horrible crowd to sell to... they really couldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Heebie wrote: »
    They couldn't have chosen a more horrible crowd to sell to... they really couldn't have.

Don’t leave us hanging.......tell us more about the buyer:D

Bobblehats wrote: »
    California? That’s miles off

This comment hasn't gotten the recognition it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Marcos

I'd say if you saw a list of brands the top 10 food companies in the world own you'd be astounded at the number of products controlled by very few companies.

Exactly, you can see it here in this video. It looks at the major corporations dealing with every facet of modern life and who the institutional investors are. The bit about the top 10 food brands starts at 1.13. It's eye opening to say the least. These institutional investors hold shares in competing brands whether it be Coca Cola or Pepsico. It's a real spiders web of interconnections, or as the video states, follow the money. It goes deeper, it's a 45 minute video, but they summarise everything into the first 10 minutes or so.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It's breakfast time back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

It's breakfast time back home.

But shaaaan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

And

I have been eating DairyGold all my life. I’d query the authenticity of that photo, because I’ve never seen it light colour (apart from the Light version).

It spreads the same as ever, and melts on toast. I think you may have fallen for crap posted on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

First they took our homes, then they took our rashers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Kewreeuss wrote:
    Don’t leave us hanging.......tell us more about the buyer

I saw an exposée on them recently in Netflix. They're one of the big meat processors in the US, and seem to be just a horrible company. Staff peeing in bottles on the production line because they can't take breaks without getting fired.
    I don't recall all the specifics.
    Grossed me out, and the guy the company is named after seems to be a serious di***ag.

Advertisement