Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second hand estate car

• 17-06-2021 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations for a second hand estate car for under e13k.

I am considering: Skoda Supurb, Ford Focus, VW Passat

I have a young family and really need the boot space, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

For space the superb is top of its class and is rated very highly .

Petrol , Diesel or does it matter?

I would throw an eye on the Mégane tourer also but it wouldn't be as big as the superb

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

I would prefer petrol but they are like gold dust for the money i am looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I have a seat leon st (estate) for the past few years and never had any issues. It's the 1.6 diesel version.

My only issue with it is that it doesn't have sat nav, mine is a 152 and I think they had them from 2016

Some Mégane tourers in that price range . You will talk a bit off the list price on carzone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

For the early millenials and Gen x reading this, Estate cars were a longer and more practical version of a saloon/hatchback, now almost extinct due to the "SUV", that offers less space and ride comfort !

Anyway saying that would you consider a Toyota Prius MPV 1.8 Hybrid?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-prius-65pw-zero-deposit-1-8-vvt-i-hyb/27948192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you’re looking at Mondeos, have a look at the hatchback versions too, the boot is gigantic and well shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

For the early millenials and Gen x reading this, Estate cars were a longer and more practical version of a saloon/hatchback, now almost extinct due to the "SUV", that offers less space and ride comfort !

Anyway saying that would you consider a Toyota Prius MPV 1.8 Hybrid?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-prius-65pw-zero-deposit-1-8-vvt-i-hyb/27948192

Au contraire, sales up over 60% compared with only a 1.6% rise in saloon cars.

Far higher year on year rise versus all other common body styles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Au contraire, sales up over 60% compared with only a 1.6% rise in saloon cars.

Far higher year on year rise versus all other common body styles too.

Here are the top selling estates this year, only the bottom half are actually estates.

3-E8-DD6-CA-861-F-40-C3-A255-3306-A94972-C8.jpg

If you want petrol up your budget to €15k and get yourself a Dynamique Nav 2017 Megane Tourer.

If your hard set on the budget I'd try go into a 1.6 diesel civic estate or a decent spec Octavia.

There can be serious value had buying private

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you’re looking at Mondeos, have a look at the hatchback versions too, the boot is gigantic and well shaped.

Id agree with Colm here. I've gone from a 3 series estate to an insignia hatchback to fill a gap till I decide on my next car. Insignia is managing the bikes and whatever crap thrown in no problem. Few friends have superb's and can really load them up

• Advertisement

Peter T wrote: »
    Id agree with Colm here. I've gone from a 3 series estate to an insignia hatchback to fill a gap till I decide on my next car. Insignia is managing the bikes and whatever crap thrown in no problem. Few friends have superb's and can really load them up

Superb estates are the biggest boot in terms of volume by a decent margin over many of the others. you would need to go to a merc E class estate or similar for comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking for recommendations for a second hand estate car for under e13k.

I am considering: Skoda Supurb, Ford Focus, VW Passat

I have a young family and really need the boot space, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I know plenty don't like them but I bought a Hyundai i40 estate 5 years ago. I love it and other than servicing and tyres it hasn't needed anything. Comfortable car to drive, and great boot space. Friends with newer diesel cars have been surprised at how quiet and smooth it runs.

The lack of cupholders is frustrating but that aside I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

I know plenty don't like them but I bought a Hyundai i40 estate 5 years ago. I love it and other than servicing and tyres it hasn't needed anything. Comfortable car to drive, and great boot space. Friends with newer diesel cars have been surprised at how quiet and smooth it runs.

Are you still in the Garda Siochana or have you moved on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Are you still in the Garda Siochana or have you moved on?

Got the car and the Coppers Gold Card and moved on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Peter T wrote: »

And so few estates these days have a vertical back window or even close - unless you really do need to pack the boot above the window line, a hatch might be just as good.

That said, I do prefer estates myself - looks and better rear headroom (sometimes). Never understood why anyone would buy anything else but viva la difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wouldn't touch one tbh. Between chocolate gearboxes and Disposable parking brakes it's not a car id buy tbh.

listermint wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch one tbh. Between chocolate gearboxes and Disposable parking brakes it's not a car id buy tbh.

Had a saloon version 2015 face lift. Was a great car to drive loads of spec but the interior was a bit rattley if I'm being honest and the cup holders are a big no no. I found it great for what I needed and it will definitely be cheaper than a superb

You could try Mazda 6 or if you know what your looking for see if there's a older 320D/A4/V60 in your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Something a bit different
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-tourer/28214251

The advantage of the estate vs the equivalent hatchback is no big spoiler across the back window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

Had a saloon version 2015 face lift. Was a great car to drive loads of spec but the interior was a bit rattley if I'm being honest and the cup holders are a big no no. I found it great for what I needed and it will definitely be cheaper than a superb

You could try Mazda 6 or if you know what your looking for see if there's a older 320D/A4/V60 in your price range.

:eek::eek:DO NOT buy this, or at least, have a trawl through the threads on them here previously!! :eek::eek:

Advertisement