Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tuscon PHEV

• 17-06-2021 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was just wondering what are peoples opinion on this , and would it be worth it over the standard hybrid

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

john_doe. wrote: »
    I was just wondering what are peoples opinion on this [Tuscon PHEV], and would it be worth it over the standard hybrid

PHEVs are very controversial here. BEV people tend to hate them & things can get heated when PHEVs use public charging points :D.
    IMO "hybrid" as a term is meaningless these days. It's just a marketing term.

PHEVs can be a great if they suit one's usage profile.
    Hammering up the M7 from Cork to Dublin frequently - useless.
    A regular 30/40/50km commute, Monday to Friday, largely urban - ideal.

That said, if you could manage a PHEV & keep most mileage on the battery, you'd likely manage fine with a BEV.

Nothing wrong with the Tuscon PHEV but consider the new compact SUV BEVs too - ID.4/Skoda etc. Some good options available these days.

Oh, you need home charging for a PHEV too - useless without that.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi

I was just wondering what are peoples opinion on this , and would it be worth it over the standard hybrid

Thanks.

Phev makes sense if you drive lots of short distances with regular (weekly at least) long drives where charging isn't an option. The short drives are where you saved money.

What's the price difference between phev and hybrid? How many km of short drives will you need to do to pay off the price difference?

More and more phev are making less economic sense given the range of 400km+ full EV cars coming online.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Thanks.

Don't see many options in Big SuVs n electric. The Skoda Enyaq suits but is very expensive.
    Also living in country we get a lot of power cuts during year - which would be big concern.

In the PHEV there is the outlander, Tucson, kuga etc which is larger SuV with good boot space for family .
    Commute is 72km round trip , 3 times a week for work and then various with kids.

Commute is 72km round trip , 3 times a week for work and then various with kids.

That's close enough to ideal for a PHEV.
    What's the rough difference in price between the BEV Skoda & PHEV? You probably wouldn't make huge savings with the BEV & if it's €10k dearer, well, that's a lot of money up front.

You'd never get stuck with any of the new longer range BEVs, ID.4 etc. It just boils down to cost IMO & how soon you'd want to commit to going fully electric.
    You know you will soon anyway - lot of money though.

Thanks.

Don't see many options in Big SuVs n electric. The Skoda Enyaq suits but is very expensive.
    Also living in country we get a lot of power cuts during year - which would be big concern.

In the PHEV there is the outlander, Tucson, kuga etc which is larger SuV with good boot space for family .

Tucson is 39k for the basic phev. Big battery enyaq is under 45k. Not a whole lot of difference between them, though as I've said many times, once you start adding some 2021 basics to the enyaq it gets quite expensive. Id4 is another similar sized option at 44k for a better spec than the enyaq with similar range.

But there'll be a big difference between Tucson hybrid and a full EV SUV. So maybe park that

You won't go 72km on battery only. Probably more like half that distance on battery only, and that's assuming the Tucson allows battery only driving at high speeds.

You'd have to sit down and do some maths. Night rate charging is typically 1/5 the cost of petrol/Diesel per km. If it's a phev you might just stick to a day rate, so more like 2/5 the cost of petrol/Diesel. Not all your driving will be electric, so you've to figure out what % will be petrol powered vs electricity and factor that in.

I'm gonna pull a number here and say you might save €500 a year on fuel in a phev, assuming 20k km driven, and half your driving is pure electric. If you have charging at work then you can boost that number a bit more.

• Advertisement

Looks like about 2k different between hybrid and plug in. IMO, go plug in. If your happy to plug the car in when you land home you'll make good savings. You can get the home charger grant too and future proof a bit for free/cheap

I'm gonna pull a number here and say you might save €500 a year on fuel in a phev, assuming 20k km driven, and half your driving is pure electric.

That's the problem these days - the financial incentive/savings just aren't there given the up front cost of new BEVs & even PHEVs.

Having to spend €45k to save €1k on fuel doesn't make sense for most. I actually calculated the tyres on my PHEV (530e, €300 each) cost more than the fuel costs (petrol & electricity) combined.

There's probably very little between overall running costs & acquisition cost between say an ID.4 & Tuscon PHEV. A % lower interest rate on finance could probably amount to more.

I'd suggest seeing the BEV options, driving them & compare to the Tuscon.

Good luck anyway :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

So most phev do 45km on a charge and usually at a lower speed so you are not within the ideal zone meaning you will run on combined or ev then fuel only.

As you have a 40k budget then I would see if a full Bev is achievable albeit costing more and factor in keeping for 7 to 8 years to determine total costs. Your fuel savings should balance out the extra costs if you can stomach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Pricing is from 39k rrp, but you will get a significant discount - most customers will qualify for the 4k eco upgrade so on the road for 36k is feasible and its super value for money at that level. You get 265bhp and All wheel drive plus 50km in range. For somebody doing a 70km commute it would likely mean you could reduce your fuel by at least 50% while having double the power of most petrol or diesel competitors.

Tuscon's are brilliant sellers, hold their value well and this is an all new model so is bang up to date. I personally prefer estates but can't think of anything better in that price point and would definitely consider if I was the OP. The hybrid doesn't seem bad value but for a small bit extra the phev drivetrain and performance is more than worth it.

Casati wrote: »
    Pricing is from 39k rrp, but you will get a significant discount - most customers will qualify for the 4k eco upgrade so on the road for 36k is feasible and its super value for money at that level. You get 265bhp and All wheel drive plus 50km in range. For somebody doing a 70km commute it would likely mean you could reduce your fuel by at least 50% while having double the power of most petrol or diesel competitors.

Tuscon's are brilliant sellers, hold their value well and this is an all new model so is bang up to date. I personally prefer estates but can't think of anything better in that price point and would definitely consider if I was the OP. The hybrid doesn't seem bad value but for a small bit extra the phev drivetrain and performance is more than worth it.

What's the 4k eco upgrade ?

• Advertisement

What's the 4k eco upgrade ?

Probably "scrappage" by another name.

https://www.hyundai.ie/home/offer-page/eco-upgrade.html

Kramer wrote: »

Not really scrappage as it’s an additional
    bonus on the value of the trade in, basically a discount

Kramer wrote: »

Thanks, is it too late to register for SEAI grant that is up on July 1st also for this. I see the grant is halving on July 1st for PHeVs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thanks, is it too late to register for SEAI grant that is up on July 1st also for this. I see the grant is halving on July 1st for PHeVs

It's done by the dealer, if they can get you the car before the cutoff you can get the full grant.

graememk wrote: »
    It's done by the dealer, if they can get you the car before the cutoff you can get the full grant.

My understanding is they don’t need the car, just the chassis number so that might give you more options

Looking at this again .

Top spec 6 month old PHEV comes in at 45k

ID4 basic seems to be hitting 53k , enyaq seems to be coming in around 48k.

Shame the grant is gone on PHEV, but value seems good on 6 month old top spec model , 4WD , heated seats and steering etc.

Be nice if more options in full electric at this price range, the ID4 seems too costly and the Enyaq while nice still good bit more costly where any additional options rack up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Ionic 5 new executive plus or a premium for around this price point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭keanebg1

Toyota Rav4 Phev - 75km range, 306bhp, 50k

https://www.toyota.ie/models/rav4-plugin/index.json

Top spec - do you mean Exec Plus or N-Line?

A new one is just about that price - potentially a bit less if you can still get the €2500 discount that Hyundai had so I think you'd be mad buying a 2021 for almost the same money

Exec Plus , prices them around , price in website is misleading. The 2.5k from Hyundai ain't there and it's around 48/49k new for the model I got , so the 6 month old model was in end 3.5-4k cheaper , my budget was 45 max and payed 44.5, and while I'd love the Toyota again once you add features it creeps up to 53/55k.

Might be mad but was hard pressed to justify nearly 45k for a car and did not want to go above that budget in the end , found something that matches what wanted - a PHEV with all features under 45k.

While electric would have also suited me there wasn't a snowballs id have convinced wife full electric.

• Advertisement
Advertisement