Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia Ceed 2012 1.6 petrol automatic advice

Options
  • 13-06-2021 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi lads,

got my eyes on this one: glassen.ie/car-details/?2850105 (carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/ceed/fpa/202106023383505)

seems fairly priced when compared with other options on DD or carzone for the mileage and year.

It's an import with FSH it says, motorcheck.ie came out clean (a part from few failed MOT tests due to tyre wear and windscreen wipers back in the day; and "Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened" which I suppose has been taken care of meanwhile).

Petrol seems legit option for me as I won't be doing many miles, but would prefer a reliable drive with not too much of headache that is cheap to insure (first time buyer in ROI, 15+y driver). I narrowed the search down to Kia Ceed and Toyota Auris (maybe Hyundai i20/i30 even) with a budget of around 6Keuros.

Appreciate all the advice, particularly any thoughts on auto vs. manual on these ones.

p.s. crawled through "buying used car in Ireland" thread, it's a gem, huge thanks to all who are contributing!

Thanks

Mike

Comments

There's been so many posts in the last few weeks about people buying cars within the 5-10k budget range and I offer no apologies for repeating my suggestion to look at the current private market as there seems to be better value for money if you narrow it down to what vehicles you like.

Personally I can't see the value in paying €6k in paying for a 9 year old car with 150k kms on the clock - one thing that really sticks out to me on that car you linked was that the front licence plate is bent and not even sticking on properly, purely a cosmetic issue but nonetheless suggests a lack of quality control to me.

The reality is €6k won't get you a lot of car, you'd be looking at a 2012/2013 max with a petrol engine and I'd be looking at a 1.3 Honda Civic/Jazz with some spec and service history and you'd get better value going for a manual in my opinion. I wouldn't be going for a 9 year old Kia or Hyundai as they can't compete with the Honda / Toyota of that generation although if you could come up the years you'd be on the right track looking at them

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deckboy

Thanks for the perspective Zylias. I saw the front plate thing. Also the panels above front right wheel seem slightly off.

You're right, my options are limited with 6K in the current market situation (brexit, higher 2nd hand car prices...). Which is why I look for something reliable that would take me from A to B without troubles (hence the Ceed and Auris; Jazz is something I haven't considered - thanks for that tip). I have no preference for dealers - the only advantage being a warranty during which I can have the vehicle thoroughly checked and not end up with a lemon.

Question re. mileage (for the above models and 2012/2013 makes): on what max kms/miles number should I limit my search to? If a car is well taken care of, and accounting for approx. 15K kms per year in Ireland, 150 kms seems legit for a 9-10y old drive. Just trying to get my head around the economics here in Ireland.

One more thing (maybe in general terms): what's my main advantage for petrol over diesel? service/maintenance costs or something else? economy wise I don't mind the fuel pricing considering the amount of driving I'm gonna take.

Any thoughts on this one:
    donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-jazz-1-3-2012/27830729
    ?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We were considering this particular car, but what put us off was the gearbox, it’s a DSG style twin clutch job, which is great. But they’re so rare that if it ever went wrong it would surely be a main dealer only job.

Lovely car,

Basic enough spec but if it has history I'd be interested. But nowhere near that price. I'd go €4k max.

Lovely car,

Basic enough spec but if it has history I'd be interested. But nowhere near that price. I'd go €4k max.

I think you need to look at what prices cars are now. That’s about the only new shape Ceed for that money in the country.

Spec wise, that’s one of the better ones, has backup camera, bigger wheels etc.

It’s gone now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

colm_mcm wrote: »
    We were considering this particular car, but what put us off was the gearbox, it’s a DSG style twin clutch job, which is great. But they’re so rare that if it ever went wrong it would surely be a main dealer only job.

Are they dsg? I was in one it was a minicab in the UK and it definitely a slushbox type auto, the driver loved it but said it was thirsty for cab work.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are they dsg? I was in one it was a minicab in the UK and it definitely a slushbox type auto, the driver loved it but said it was thirsty for cab work.

That shape were available in both slushomatic and DCT.
    The 1.6 GDI engine in automatic was definitely only available with the DCT box.

The old torque converter ones were certainly hard on fuel, but they revised them at some stage on the old pre 2012 model and dropped a few tax classes, so obviously improved efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deckboy

yup, gone. Thanks for the thoughts fellas, I've learned a lot, appreciate it.

Advertisement