Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

250,000 Ton UK Export Market Gone

• 17-06-2021 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

The UK just finalised and signed a deal with Australia which means they supply beef to the UK.

According to reports the UK imports 250,000 tons of beef every year from the EU. Approx 80% of that is Irish beef.

Next year those 250,000 tons will be slashed to approx 30,000 tons and reduced further.

All reports in UK news outlets. None in RTE or other. No talk here either.

Nobody knows......Nobody cares?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Yes, hormones in Aussie beef are giving UK consumers something to think about at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jun/06/nearly-half-of-australias-cattle-is-treated-with-growth-hormones-is-it-safe-to-eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Bog Trotter99

Yes, hormones in Aussie beef are giving UK consumers something to think about at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jun/06/nearly-half-of-australias-cattle-is-treated-with-growth-hormones-is-it-safe-to-eat

Well thats up to them, but my point is Irelands beef export market to the UK has now gone, because the Australia deal has just been signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Australian beef is the dearest globally at the moment, and that's before shipping costs, so no need to panic yet

The deals done. EU beef aint allowed on their shelves after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Are you sure about this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well thats up to them, but my point is Irelands beef export market to the UK has now gone, because the Australia deal has just been signed.

Try grounding your options in facts for a start!

The market is not gone, you just have a new competitor, one that is physically far a way, not as cheap as you think and not offering the same quality.

From the announcement of a trade deal to the point where trade flows smoothly takes years rather than overnight for a start.

And while you have a new competitor in the UK market, you just go preferential treatment on the 160 tones the UK used to export to the EU plus the new trade deals with Canada, Japan etc…

It will take years to see the impact of all these deals on the market, but it certainly will not be the 250k ton headless chicken dance you are suggesting, most likely it will have very little impact in the end.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Baseless nonsense or provide a factual link, especially since it would breach WTO rules and the trade deal with the EU.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Try grounding your options in facts for a start!

The market is not gone, you just have a new competitor, one that is physically far a way, not as cheap as you think and not offering the same quality.

From the announcement of a trade deal to the point where trade flows smoothly takes years rather than overnight for a start.

And while you have a new competitor in the UK market, you just go preferential treatment on the 160 tones the UK used to export to the EU plus the new trade deals with Canada, Japan etc…

It will take years to see the impact of all these deals on the market, but it certainly will not be the 250k ton headless chicken dance you are suggesting, most likely it will have very little impact in the end.

Well if its as simple as that why have they spent months working out the deal and signing it today.

Read the UK news if it was just a case of .........."listen cobber just send a few tons over to us and we will see what we can do".

Baseless nonsense or provide a factual link, especially since it would breach WTO rules and the trade deal with the EU.

There is no trade with the EU. Havent you noticed they are all most by WTO at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

I wonder can the EU now revisit the quotas for New Zealand.
    New Zealand has a fixed EU quota of 1300 tonnes of beef and 228,000 tonne of lamb which harps back to when britain join the EU.
    idk what the quota for Australia is but its time to start evening out the playing field.
    On the plus side, it would be a good time to take the UK share of processed/cooked foods that go into the EU now that they will have Australian beef in the system they will not be able to supply into the EU themselves.
    Also it would be a good time for the Irish beef industry to go Organic and also reduce the herd size and move to a more premium product, ontop of which they should be eligible for EU support to do this since they would be losing the UK market

End of this year according to Liz Truss a UK Gove minister who has co signed the deal..

Of course if you are better informed we can all rest easy.

Bog, you are very wound up, go for a walk and get some fresh air.

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Bog, you are very wound up, go for a walk and get some fresh air.

I'm cool. I'm not a beef farmer. :)

I just wondered why when this was in the UK news why isn't in the RTE news or you lot talking of it. But I see of tonight the Irish farmers groups are getting very vocal about it in tonights Irish news sites.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40316342.html

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

I wonder can the EU now revisit the quotas for New Zealand.
    New Zealand has a fixed EU quota of 1300 tonnes of beef and 228,000 tonne of lamb which harps back to when britain join the EU.
    idk what the quota for Australia is but its time to start evening out the playing field.
    On the plus side, it would be a good time to take the UK share of processed/cooked foods that go into the EU now that they will have Australian beef in the system they will not be able to supply into the EU themselves.
    Also it would be a good time for the Irish beef industry to go Organic and also reduce the herd size and move to a more premium product, ontop of which they should be eligible for EU support to do this since they would be losing the UK market

Jesus, read the Brexit thread and the U.K. are screwed and tough now they’re a third country! One deal and there’s calls for evening up the playing field. Way to play into the Brexiteers hands of EU bullies!

And what’s this processed meats so can’t sell to the EU, sure they’ll just use their own livestock for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Will that beef not have to come to the Uk frozen? That would surely lessen its value.

Jesus, read the Brexit thread and the U.K. are screwed and tough now they’re a third country! One deal and there’s calls for evening up the playing field. Way to play into the Brexiteers hands of EU bullies!

And what’s this processed meats so can’t sell to the EU, sure they’ll just use their own livestock for that!

Not a chance that would wash.
    In reality it's going to do as much harm to the UK farmers if not more. Their beef is going to be seen as hormone infested Gazel meat now too.
    Once you let imported beef in then your beef is then classed as the same.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Will that beef not have to come to the Uk frozen? That would surely lessen its value.

No, it comes in chilled containers, probably just carcass beef unprocessed for Larry's factories in the UK.

Not a chance that would wash.
    In reality it's going to do as much harm to the UK farmers if not more. Their beef is going to be seen as hormone infested Gazel meat now too.
    Once you let imported beef in then your beef is then classed as the same.

You’ve completely missed my point but I think you know that too! LOL.

Also the U.K. imported 1766 tonnes of Aussie beef in 2019 and doesn’t appear to have done them any harm.

• Advertisement

Ok blah blah blah.

But where does that leave O'Malley with his prized herd of Angus ready to go January 2022?

Ok blah blah blah.

But where does that leave O'Malley with his prized herd of Angus ready to go January 2022?

What are you even giving out about. What i said hasn’t got a thing to do with what you’re angry posting about!

Also, I wasn’t even talking to you! It’s quite obvious you’re up for arguing with everyone, I’m not interested thanks.

Also the U.K. imported 1766 tonnes of Aussie beef in 2019 and doesn’t appear to have done them any harm.

I think I have missed your point sorry.
    Probably nothing wrong with Aussie beef, idk is hormone beef healthy, there must be something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

This has been coming since the Brexit vote. Why are you so shocked ??

You can still sell to UK but you have to compete with Australian beef.

What are you even giving out about. What i said hasn’t got a thing to do with what you’re angry posting about!

Also, I wasn’t even talking to you! It’s quite obvious you’re up for arguing with everyone, I’m not interested thanks.

Hey that was an error on my part. I was I thought quoting the poster you was.

I'm not arguing anything. Just wondering why a UK obsessed Irish media has not mentioned a thing about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

No, it comes in chilled containers, probably just carcass beef unprocessed for Larry's factories in the UK.

40 days for a container to get from oz to UK.
    Long time for the chiller no?

Hey that was an error on my part. I was I thought quoting the poster you was.

I'm not arguing anything. Just wondering why a UK obsessed Irish media has not mentioned a thing about this.

Because it isn’t good news.

U.K. delays ending lockdown restrictions, top of RTE. U.K. cases rise due to delta variant, top of RTE. Increased travel restrictions for passengers from the U.K., top of RTE.
    DUP in tatters in the North, breaking news and top of RTE.

Bad news because U.K. signs trade deal with Oz……SSSSHHHHHHHHHH

This is how MSM works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I presume so same as NZ legs of lamb comes in here which are glorified turkey legs. I have bought turkey legs that were larger and had more meat on them.

40 days for a container to get from oz to UK.
    Long time for the chiller no?
    Yes it is,
    I know the south American stuff was coming in chilled carcass form up to 21 days hanging.
    They will probably go down the route of vacuum packed which is good for 12 -14 weeks max.
    Either way it'll a poorer standard of beef by the time its on the plate. Might be good enough for Burgers etc and thats a large part of the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't think we have to worry about it too much for the next few years as at the moment Australia has currently one of the highest beef/cattle prices in the world. Unfortunately (for beef farmers) due to their unpredictable weather beef/cattle prices sway between high & low extremes.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-14/how-high-can-cattle-prices-go-in-year-of-the-ox/13134676

Edit to add - It's great to see so many new posters contributing on Farming and Forestry - that's what makes it one of the most popular forums on Boards.

Advertisement