Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damaged TV during redecorating

Options
  • 05-06-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is right forum, if not please move

We are getting the house painted and i have just noticed that the TV was damaged at some point, there are now lines showing on screen when it is on, and the looks like a bend in the screen.

What normally happens in these situations, does a painter knock off the value of the TV off the bill (or cost to fix if possible) or do we have to make a claim against the painters insurance assuming he has some? We moved the majority of items in the house ourselves, but there were some items we couldn't, and they advised us that they would take them down off the walls etc.

Although it is a few years old, it would have cost ~700 to buy, so it's not cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Hope this is right forum, if not please move

We are getting the house painted and i have just noticed that the TV was damaged at some point, there are now lines showing on screen when it is on, and the looks like a bend in the screen.

What normally happens in these situations, does a painter knock off the value of the TV off the bill (or cost to fix if possible) or do we have to make a claim against the painters insurance assuming he has some? We moved the majority of items in the house ourselves, but there were some items we couldn't, and they advised us that they would take them down off the walls etc.

Although it is a few years old, it would have cost ~700 to buy, so it's not cheap.

How old was the TV?

And how difficult was it to move it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Have ye made the painters aware of the damage and what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is there any actual physical damage to the TV?

Could it be just a problem with the reconnecting of the cables when the TV was reinstated after painting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd say you've no hope of getting the painters to pay for some/all of the damage. No harm mentioning it to them though I suppose.

Personally I'd just put it down to had luck and get it fixed or replaced. Try a local electrical retailer, they might be able to get it fixed. Most times however, they'll advise to replace as the cost of repair could be dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 csonb20

Are you covered for accidental damage under your home insurance policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

You're going to expect him to just knock the price of a new telly off the bill just because you say there are lines on it now that weren't there before?

How does the painter know the telly wasn't always like that? There isn't any proof anything the painters did damaged the TV - unless they got paint on it.

I'd say you're in for a big surprise considering you seem to be assuming he's just going take responsibility for this damage and pay it. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Having cctv would be the only way in proving this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Forgot about this thread, painter took quick look at the TV, accepted the damaged and asked how much we want and tool it off the bill - nice to see some decent trades people still around, from reading this thread you'd swear i had no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

So how much did he allow you for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Forgot about this thread, painter took quick look at the TV, accepted the damaged and asked how much we want and tool it off the bill - nice to see some decent trades people still around, from reading this thread you'd swear i had no chance.

It's great that you got sorted. He must have known he damaged it. Fair play to him for taking responsibility.

What people are saying is that if he said he did nothing to it there us very little you could do about it. You would need to prove that he damaged it .
    Either way he should have insisted on you taking all the stuff out

• Advertisement

Either way he should have insisted on you taking all the stuff out

^^^^^ this.

He will on his next job.

weird that it wasn't just moved

it's not as if Tv's aren't really lightweight these days

even if mounted on wall should be simple enough to take off

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

glasso wrote: »
    weird that it wasn't just moved

it's not as if Tv's aren't really lightweight these days

even if mounted on wall should be simple enough to take off

+1 most brackets these days come in two sections with either a clip or single bolt to seperate the vesa mounted section attached to the TV; Frome the remaining bracket.
    Even the Aldi brackets do that. As I've fitted one in my son's room and there's nothing wrong with it; just as good as others which I spent over 70 euro on. Just difficult to get a bracket with a 50x50mm vesa for a 28" TV but the Aldi bracket has that bolt formation where others didn't and only cost 12 euro at the time.

Advertisement