Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dogtanian Returns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

My childhood nostalgia is making me consider going depending on reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Considering that's the first I heard of it, I'll probably just leave it. That and the fact I don't see it in the upcoming listings near me.

I remember that was my first exposure to the musketeers story so was wondering why Dogtanian was spelt strange when I saw the book it was based on in our school library

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Considering that's the first I heard of it, I'll probably just leave it. That and the fact I don't see it in the upcoming listings near me.

I remember that was my first exposure to the musketeers story so was wondering why Dogtanian was spelt strange when I saw the book it was based on in our school library

Up there with the best cartoons ever. Will it appeal to the latest generation of kids I dunno, but I bet there will be a lot of parents bringing the kids to see it with them as opposed to the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

There be a trailer (and it's in the local Omniplex this weekend - preview weekend)

Not a fan of the animation. Or voice acting. Or the fart joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

absolutely hated the original series. possibly in part because it might have replaced the excellent X-men cartoon on the Den.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A childhood favourite !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Niska wrote: »
    There be a trailer (and it's in the local Omniplex this weekend - preview weekend)

Not a fan of the animation. Or voice acting. Or the fart joke.

I was going to post about the animation myself.
    I hate that style, it reeks of cheapness to me and while I know that animation is pricey...
    Surely there is a better option?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ugh, that's looks awful. There's better animation on CBeebies.

Just a cheap movie to occupy the kids during the summer holidays. A 90 minute snooze in the dark for the adults. I've been there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This looks really terrible.

Low budget animation, voices and script by the looks of things. The farting horse joke sums up the type of movie it will be I feel.

I know the original was not Shakespeare type stuff, but there was a maturity to the cartoon in itself (I may be looking back through rose tinted glasses).

This movies comes across as that weird awkward french/canadian comedy cartoons that have been made recently. Written by someone who has no kids and thinks they understand kid humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

What's with the voice acting??? Sounds terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I can't believe there were only 26 episodes of the original TV show. In my memory there were 100+ episodes that I saw as a youngster.

I love the aesthetic of the original but I can't see too many modern releases going out of their way to replicate the style and tone of those early 80s Euro-Japanese animations (eg this, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ulysses 31) that I adored back in the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sandokan or Dogtanian?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hated the original and the main character so it's a no from me.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I love the aesthetic of the original but I can't see too many modern releases going out of their way to replicate the style and tone of those early 80s Euro-Japanese animations (eg this, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Ulysses 31) that I adored back in the day.

There is a modern Mysterious Cities of Gold since it was revived in 2012.

So who keeps getting the Dogtanian song in their when they see this thread?
    "One for all and all for one..."

Sandokan or Dogtanian?

Willy Fogg

There is a modern Mysterious Cities of Gold since it was revived in 2012.
    I did not know that, 3 additional seasons and while it's solely produced in France it apparently sticks closely to the look and style of the original.

I did not know that, 3 additional seasons and while it's solely produced in France it apparently sticks closely to the look and style of the original.

Haven't watched yet but have season 2 on BluRay and season 3 by other means.
    Season 2 English dub debuted on Kix of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That theme music made me smile now I need Oliver Platt Charlie Sheen and Keifer Sutherland to reboot their classic with Chris O'Donnell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I can't believe there were only 26 episodes of the original TV show. In my memory there were 100+ episodes that I saw as a youngster.

There must be more than 26 episodes. They did a second season (or at least in my mind it was a second season) where Dogtanian is a bona-fide Muskahound. Involves a plot regards infidelity between the King of England & the Queen of France if I recall.

I cannot see Ulysses 31 being made today - at least not aimed at a childrens audience. Dark as f00k; but such a great introduction to Greek mythology for kids.

As for this Mysterious Cities of Gold reboot; I did not know this and must seek it out. Such an amazing series.

I really need to watch that film. I know the song by Adams/Stewart/Sting.

As for Dogtanian, I was thinking as well that there were more than 26 episodes then remembered there was a sequel series as well

Had a quick look and both series on youtube if you're bored
    Dogtanian And The Three Muskehounds
    The Return of Dogtanian

Mods, please delete if you don't think they're legit

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    As for this Mysterious Cities of Gold reboot; I did not know this and must seek it out. Such an amazing series.

That's the funny thing. It's not a reboot. It's the continuation coming about 30 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That's the funny thing. It's not a reboot. It's the continuation coming about 30 years later.

Oh right, so "season 1" is the original series, and season 2 is a continuation albeit modern one?

Yep. So just a 29 year gap between season 1 and season 2. Probably the longest gap between seasons. :)

My "there were only 26 episodes of the original TV show" was based on Wikipedia not referencing The Return of Dogtanian mentioned above which has another 26 episodes.

I guess young me didn't realise they were classified as two separate series.

Yeah, I don't remember 2 separate series but do remember it took a while before he got the job and then another while after.
    Kinda like Prince Valiant, if I remember correctly

Lemming wrote: »
    I cannot see Ulysses 31 being made today - at least not aimed at a childrens audience. Dark as f00k; but such a great introduction to Greek mythology for kids.
    I remember finding it quite unsettling. Looking back it probably wasn't suited to my age at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like yet another one of those shovelware animated films, a co-production of a half dozen countries with no discernable expense, cohesion or effort made. But there's a market for this drek all the same, just check any morning schedules of cinemas and you'll see them. The dogtanian element is just someone smart enough to glom onto the nostalgia gorging going on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd love a Ulysses 31 reboot done by the Blood of Zeus team it would be great

Advertisement