Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Private or dealer on Donedeal?

• 16-06-2021 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I've found a hybrid Civic on DD. This one, to be specific.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-honda-civic-1-3-automatic-new-nct-low-kms/28436751
    Thing is though that the seller is described as private, but (s)he has another ad on the go as well and will consider trade ins for the that one. Also, (s)he is a bit coy about revealing exact location unless I ring on Friday.
    Any alarm bells ringing, bearing in mind that the price seems too low for a dealer to make any money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Motortax.ie says it was traded in to a dealer on 10th June, likely this fella is selling them as a sideline, he has 204 previous ads according to Donedeal. Possibly nothing at all wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Probably a trader and there's nothing wrong with that but I'd be more focused on the condition of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭User1998

Just treat it as a private sale. I wouldn’t be put off by the fact the person is selling cars tho

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Probably a trader and there's nothing wrong with that but I'd be more focused on the condition of the car
    Been valeted to the extent of having the tyres blackened....other one's the same.
    Also, pictured by the side of the road rather than on his own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a 14 year old car so the garage it was probably traded into just sold it on to one of their trade contacts. It may have passed through a few hands before the current seller who bought it to flip it. Donedeal is full of unofficial dealers flipping cars, the one thing to be aware of is that these guys are well experienced trading cars probably more than you are at buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 deckboy

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Been valeted to the extent of having the tyres blackened....other one's the same.
    Also, pictured by the side of the road rather than on his own property.

Reason to be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

deckboy wrote: »
    Reason to be worried about?

The trouble with buying from sellers who just flip cars is that they do this for a living. They’ve been in the sales scenario multiple times a week and have their act down to a tee. They know how to dodge the tough questions, know how to hide issues, and know how to make the sale. The reality is they dont know or care about the history of the car.
    You’re much better off buying from someone who has actually owned the car for a few years, who’s as out of depth selling as you are at buying, where you can gauge their reactions.
    You can tell a lot about a car from analysing the seller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Ce he sin wrote: »
    I've found a hybrid Civic on DD. This one, to be specific.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-honda-civic-1-3-automatic-new-nct-low-kms/28436751
    Thing is though that the seller is described as private, but (s)he has another ad on the go as well and will consider trade ins for the that one. Also, (s)he is a bit coy about revealing exact location unless I ring on Friday.
    Any alarm bells ringing, bearing in mind that the price seems too low for a dealer to make any money?

It's a dealer just not paying taxes etc.
    So it's a private sale.
    Picture at side of road means they want nobody to know location which again suggest a back street dealer not paying taxes.

Bring mechanic with you, study the service history and personally I would contact the garages and check out if real or not.

Advertisement