Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fingal County Council Staff Officer/Assistant Staff Officer

Options
  • 28-09-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,

Just wondering did anyone else apply to Fingal County Council for the Staff Officer/Assistant Staff Officer positions that came up at the beginning of August?

Anyone heard from Fingal Coco?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mulligja

Hi, got an invitation to do an assessment now until October the 12th for the Staff Officer role.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Loubox

mulligja wrote: »
    Hi, got an invitation to do an assessment now until October the 12th for the Staff Officer role.

Got one too! Did you do it yet? I'm going to sit down tonight and give it a bash!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LK Rose

Hi,
    I applied for both too but haven't heard anything. Should I be worried? or are they doing it in batches..

LK Rose wrote: »
    Hi,
    I applied for both too but haven't heard anything. Should I be worried? or are they doing it in batches..

Not sure how they are doing it to be honest! I got an email from Talent Central (staffline) on 12th of this month to complete a situational assessment for the assistant staff officer job as well, this was to be done by today.

Have been invited to interview for 2nd week of November. EDIT: For Staff Officer

• Advertisement

Got the same myself, booked myself in for interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FancyPants101

Hey - i'm new! Does anyone have any advice regarding interviewing with FCC - I have no experience with public job interviews? And have heard they are quite different?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Hey - i'm new! Does anyone have any advice regarding interviewing with FCC - I have no experience with public job interviews? And have heard they are quite different?

Know as much as you can about the council, it seems to be what they focus on.

They ask stuff like what you would do if you were in charge.

It's a very odd interview. It's almost as if they are looking for a very specific sort of person.

Tell them what a great job the council does.

That would be my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FancyPants101

Thanks a million! It’s seems very generic and almost pot luck in relation to preparation material ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Thanks a million! It’s seems very generic and almost pot luck in relation to preparation material ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Did you get an email with interview material on it? Personal effectiveness/purpose and change etc?

• Advertisement

The preparation materials and the interview were VERY different the last time around.

Blanchguy wrote: »
    The preparation materials and the interview were VERY different the last time around.

Oh no really? Not that they sent an awful lot, just four headings!
    Was this for the staff officer or assistant staff officer if you don't mine me asking?

Assistant staff officer. I got the impression I was competing against a lot of internal applicants. I've done a good few public sector interviews. Fingal was a bit of an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭JacenSolo

Can I ask a stupid question. This is my first time going for a staff officer position and I am interviewing for the role next week. My stupid question is how many positions are they hiring for? Just the 1 or multiple roles?

So if say 100 applicants are put forward for an interview and lets say 10 of them are shortlisted for the 2nd round, are they then only looking for 1 of those 10 or do they wait until they need to fill like 5 position so 5 of the final 10 are offered a role.

JacenSolo wrote: »
    Can I ask a stupid question. This is my first time going for a staff officer position and I am interviewing for the role next week. My stupid question is how many positions are they hiring for? Just the 1 or multiple roles?

So if say 100 applicants are put forward for an interview and lets say 10 of them are shortlisted for the 2nd round, are they then only looking for 1 of those 10 or do they wait until they need to fill like 5 position so 5 of the final 10 are offered a role.

They are hiring multiple people, so those placed hire in the panel will be offered roles on a rolling basis up until all position filled. The amount of position available isn't known.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brianfitz543

Just wondering if anyone had any feedback on the interviews. What was asked etc.

Just wondering if anyone had any feedback on the interviews. What was asked etc.

If it's staff officer they asked the standard interview questions, teamwork, leadership, conflict, motivation etc. You need to provide examples from your experience.
    They asked a lot of questions and didn't give a lot of time to answer but they did say at the start be concise and to the point.
    It was about 20 mins long but it flew by. They took turns, so one turned off their camera and took notes while the other asked questions, had about 10 mins with both.

Passed prelim for Assistant Staff Officer! Best of luck to those getting their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My sister went for this campaign, placed 200 on the panel. She got Expressions of Interest about 3 weeks ago, and submitted her order of preference, but has heard nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Hi just bumping this up as these jobs on the Fingal website.
    Any advise for applying for a staff officer role? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Oceanadecola

Posting on this to see if anyone applied for the recent Assistant staff officer post. If so, has anyone heard anything, or does it take a long time?

Posting on this to see if anyone applied for the recent Assistant staff officer post. If so, has anyone heard anything, or does it take a long time?

I re-applied as didn't get SO last time, I've not heard anything yet but a friend applied for the Clerical Officer position at the same time as I applied for SO and he heard off them today about doing the assessment. Last time I applied it was around 2 months from time of application to receiving the assessment and another month after that for the interview.

Loubox wrote: »
    I re-applied as didn't get SO last time, I've not heard anything yet but a friend applied for the Clerical Officer position at the same time as I applied for SO and he heard off them today about doing the assessment. Last time I applied it was around 2 months from time of application to receiving the assessment and another month after that for the interview.

Was it a tough interview?

Was it a tough interview?

Yes, I thought so. The work experience part was standard, that was fine but they asked so many questions about strategic plans and initiatives, at times I found myself having to say I don't know. I spent the few days before familiarising myself with the things going on in my area, and the councillors who serve, made notes and went through their website etc but it obvs wasn't enough.
    That was my 1st interview in 14 years so I'm sure nerves/zoom etc all played into my experience of it, others might feel different!

Yes, I thought so. The work experience part was standard, that was fine but they asked so many questions about strategic plans and initiatives, at times I found myself having to say I don't know. I spent the few days before familiarising myself with the things going on in my area, and the councillors who serve, made notes and went through their website etc but it obvs wasn't enough.
    That was my 1st interview in 14 years so I'm sure nerves/zoom etc all played into my experience of it, others might feel different!

Ive applied for the staff officer position, I believe its extremely difficult to get in at this level.
    I applied last year and didnt pass the online assessment so well done you.
    Any hints/tips for that? I thought I was answering the Qs honestly but maybe I was thinking about what I thought I should click.

Ive applied for the staff officer position, I believe its extremely difficult to get in at this level.
    I applied last year and didnt pass the online assessment so well done you.
    Any hints/tips for that? I thought I was answering the Qs honestly but maybe I was thinking about what I thought I should click.

Well if that last interview is anything to go by I'd well believe that.
    I can't remember a whole pile about the assessment tbh, I did the one for the executive officer competition last year too and I read advice that said don't be afraid to escalate a problem to the next grade higher and that stuck with me. For the most part though I'm sure I answered it honestly too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 becauseofcait

I got an email today about taking the assessment. But out of curiosity what do you mean by strategic plans and initiatives? Can you remember how those questions were asked?

I got an email today about taking the assessment. But out of curiosity what do you mean by strategic plans and initiatives? Can you remember how those questions were asked?

They asked how had I prepared for the interview, I said familiarised myself with councillors, looked at the website etc and I was asked to describe some of the strategic plans that are in place at the moment.
    Good luck with your assessment!

Just finished the assessment, found it tough and took a lot longer than 45mins!!

• Advertisement

Did anyone get the feedback? I did well in some areas but low in others. I dont think that gave an overall result though did it?

Advertisement