Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a 2.2 ctdi Honda Civic

• 07-06-2021 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm a considering buying a 2010 2.2ctdi Honda Civic. It is advertised on donedeal for €5450 from a dealer. 170000km with a long nct. Any thoughts on this model and are they worth that kind of money. Sorry It won't let me post a link because I've just signed up to boards. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Haka12345 wrote: »
    I'm a considering buying a 2010 2.2ctdi Honda Civic. It is advertised on donedeal for €5450 from a dealer. 170000km with a long nct. Any thoughts on this model and are they worth that kind of money. Sorry It won't let me post a link because I've just signed up to boards. Thanks for any replies.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-honda-civic-2-2-diesel-new-nct/27842153?campaign=3

Is this the one? It looks lovely, but seems pretty expensive for 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cavan reg and a big rusty towbar on it....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Haka12345

Yeah that's the one. Thanks for posting it there. It looks to be in good condition but is expensive for the age. I wonder what it is worth?

Wouldn't be gone on the towbar on it now might have been dogged by some Cavan farmer..

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

No bother. I'll leave the valuation to some of the more knowledgeable heads around here:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I bought an 07 in 2012 for a few hundred more than that :D

Cars were cheap in the 2012 recession, and are going through an expensive spell now. That one is a bit overpriced but not mental considering it’s from a reputable dealer.

It would want to have a mega warranty to justify the price though, there are a few potential issues on them that could run into 4 figures.

They’re a great car overall, but suspension is on the firm side and the seats are only average.

I think there are probably newer more modern cars out there for the money. That generation civic is quirky though and are worth looking at.
    Hard to justify not buying a €1500 06-07 1.8 instead though

Thanks for the insight Colm. Second hand cars seem to be making crazy money at the minute. I don't think it is really worth that kind money. Anybody have any suggestions on something reliable and with a bit of power for around €5k. Preferably diesel. Wouldn't mind a 2.0 tdi 140 bhp passat either although most of them have high mileage

I’d be all over this, subject to it getting an NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-volvo-s60/28062831

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d be all over this, subject to it getting an NCT

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-volvo-s60/28062831

If that were an estate I'd be all over it like a bad rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

On a price thing, I had one like that but 2009, and I adertised it for sale in 2017 for €5000. No one was interested in getting it for that money then and it was 8 year old car.

I know situation on the market has changed, but 11 year old car now for the same money, even from a dealer sounds very expensive to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

2. 2 diesel is a very heavy power unit in a Civic.
    Reckon there would be a lot of wear & tear on Items such as Steering Rack, Steering Arms, ball joints, etc.
    Need check underneath for Rust etc on sills, wings, etc.
    Not that there's a fault with the Hondas, but the 2.2 seems an unusual power configuration for a Civic.

Track9 wrote: »
    2. 2 diesel is a very heavy power unit in a Civic.
    Reckon there would be a lot of wear & tear on Items such as Steering Rack, Steering Arms, ball joints, etc.
    Need check underneath for Rust etc on sills, wings, etc.
    Not that there's a fault with the Hondas, but the 2.2 seems an unusual power configuration for a Civic.

2.2 has got 140 HP exactly the same power as 1.8 petrol unit very popular in those Hondas.
    0-100km/h acceleration is also very similar for both model (around 8.6s afair)

I totally don't get what engine power could have to do with wear on steering rack, steering arms or ball joints.
    All above seem to wear quicker from driving on bad roads, not from engine power.

Also I had my 2.2 civic until it had 300,000km on the clock, drove it fast, had lowered eibach suspension fitted to it, and never had to change any of the items from your list.

In general my civic reached this 300,000km pretty much faultless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think it's about the diesel probably being a heavier engine. Anyone know what the weight difference between the two engines is?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I think it's about the diesel probably being a heavier engine. Anyone know what the weight difference between the two engines is?

AFAIK there is about 150kg difference.

Anybody have an idea of what that 2010 2.2 Civic would actually be worth?
    Went and test drove a similar 2.2 Civic in a garage in Bray on Saturday drove really well and had a full Honda service history but the body was fairly rough. Price was €4450
    Cant post a link but there's 2007 1.8 petrol Civic on donedeal in greenmile motors for €2650 looks to be clean

Haka12345 wrote: »
    Cant post a link but there's 2007 1.8 petrol Civic on donedeal in greenmile motors for €2650 looks to be clean

They aren’t worth that much. I know prices have gone up a bit but I sold my 07 with a fresh test and a few extras 2 years ago for half that, and that wasn’t giving it away. It’s also a higher spec model than the one in green mile.

960-ED299-3-A24-4688-9-D97-2-B16-EBF3-D208.jpg

There’s no value in buying a 14 year old car from a dealer and paying double.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

I had one for a few years and an accord with the same engine before that. Honestly, regretted selling both.
    They're a great car and a bit of a tardis. The rear seats fold every way.
    Things to be mindful of are clutch and flywheel, timing chain rattles, good service history with correct oil. Honda diesels are fussy when it comes to oil, you'll actually notice the effect on fuel consumption if you use the wrong oil.
    Honda oem parts are expensive but there are some alternatives for that engine now, its almost 20 years old.
    Haven't looked at prices so can't advise on value.

Advertisement