Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outdoor hat

• 29-05-2021 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi fellas. I spend a lot of time outside in both summer and winter and recently found myself looking at photos of my ancestors circa 1890's and all were wearing hats. Bowler hats, wide brim hats, all sorts. It got me thinking, why don't people wear hats more today. I live in the middle of nowhere in the rural south of the country and almost nobody wears hats, bar the occasional old folks with flat caps.

And since I find myself outside a lot, I have to deal with the elements almost every day, regardless of season. Snow, rain, sun beating down, everything. I love practical clothing, and hoods just don't cut it for me, as they blow off too easily and don't keep rain off the face at all (plus, I have to hold the hood to keep it on which means I can't use one of my hands for whatever I am doing).

I really want to get a tough, wide brim outdoor hat like the cattleman from Akubra (aplogies, can't post link but please google image search it). Supposedly they are of top quality and are good for all weather.

I'm just wondering if something like that would be too much for the (occasionally small minded) folks in Ireland. Part of me want's to say feck it and go for it, but on the other hand I really don't want to look like a c0ck trying to look like a cowboy or whatever. I know it's not really a cowboy hat, just a generic outdoors hat, but you know how people can be. Would I get laughed at if I walked into town wearing the likes of that? I am 20 fyi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Is it a bit like this?

205ec892afbffe3c92035b9e68e2956d.jpg

I think with any hat it is purely down to the confidence of the wearer. If you wear it daily to the point your hat is as essential as your shoe you won't even think about it when you go to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I love practical clothing, and hoods just don't cut it for me, as they blow off too easily and don't keep rain off the face at all (plus, I have to hold the hood to keep it on which means I can't use one of my hands for whatever I am doing).

I have a north face jacket with a good that can be tightened to keep it on. Not the crappy string that pulls it round your gave, but an adjustment that keeps it on top of your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I wear a leather Australian bush hat most the year and everywhere I go. Its like US cowboy but more understated. It keeps the sun off and keeps the rain away from my head area and being leather it feels good and is breathable. Its very versatile as it can be rolled up or stored flat in a bag and springs into shape when taken out.

In 5 years of wearing it has become very normal and well known in the local area. I even take it on business trips and my work colleagues and customers love the fact I have a bit of unique character. I have even converted a few of them once they understand the benefits especially my local dog walkers and the local farmers all have them.

Initially I felt a bit self conscious but after a week it felt completely normal and people get used to it very quickly.

Edit: Just checked the brand its a Wombat, also I am in the rural South as well

https://wombatleather.co.uk/product/wombat-soft-distressed-leather-hat/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 VeeGanSausageR

krissovo wrote: »
    I wear a leather Australian bush hat most the year and everywhere I go. Its like US cowboy but more understated. It keeps the sun off and keeps the rain away from my head area and being leather it feels good and is breathable. Its very versatile as it can be rolled up or stored flat in a bag and springs into shape when taken out.

In 5 years of wearing it has become very normal and well known in the local area. I even take it on business trips and my work colleagues and customers love the fact I have a bit of unique character. I have even converted a few of them once they understand the benefits especially my local dog walkers and the local farmers all have them.

Initially I felt a bit self conscious but after a week it felt completely normal and people get used to it very quickly.

Edit: Just checked the brand its a Wombat, also I am in the rural South as well

https://wombatleather.co.uk/product/wombat-soft-distressed-leather-hat/

That sounds great kriss. Aussie style is exactly what I was pooking at. Akubra is an australian company that makes that bush style hat.

What is the leather like in the summer? I was looking at getting a leather one but I heard they can get deadly hot in summer. But leather would be more suited to Irish weather because it is waterproof.

Whereabouts are you living, out of curiosity? Closest town to me is clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have not had a problem in summer either here or in Spain with it getting hot. Anything over 22 degrees and I turn into a sweaty beast but the hat helps, sweat is wicked away. The only time it got too hot was in a heatwave a couple of years ago in Spain where it was high 40’s and not a breeze in sight but a small bit of water in the hat and wave it around for a minute and that really cools it down and your head.

My of my friends swears by Ostrich leather and he thinks its even better than bovine for keeping cool.

I am near Fermoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Akubra " Territory " via AustralianGear.com.

It's a tool. Not a 'Fashion Statement'. It just happens to look unutterably cool! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I've got into hats all of a sudden. I changed to a very short hair cut and am aware of sunburn so I started to wear them.

I got sick of turning the baseball cap to face the sun, so I bought a Dorfman Pacific weathered cotton outback hat for hiking. Its great, very light and my head doesn't get too warm with it.
    Only thing is, if you hike depending on your rucksac, the back of the hat could rub uncomfortably on the bag.

I also have a full on cowboy hat, Jaxson & James comanche. I dont wear it as it is slightly too small but will buy a larger one in the future.

A Deerhunter felt fedora hat is another good buy,but more for colder months.

When you buy such hats you notice more people wearing them it seems. I'm looking forward to moving more rural and being more comfortable wearing them.

Advertisement