Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Mobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭deezell

There is no requirement to top up your 20euro plan every 28days, unless you're dependent on plan benefits, buying an addon will also last 28days, ie 5gb for 5euro, 100min for 5eur! If this is all you need, why topup by 20 for extras that will not be used, I've been using it like this for past few months with no issues. It's a major advantage of Vodafone payg! No bills, direct debits, just buy what you need ,

I thought that model was long since gone, where you topped up in cash, then used that to pay for calls texts and data per usage. I recall when phones would stop working eventually if you only used them sparsely to receive calls, if you hadn't made a minimum topup payment. What you are saying is Vodafone, one of the best networks, are effectively offering a €10 per (28 day) month plan with 100mins and 5Gb data, and you're a Vodafone customer, not a restricted MVNO customer. It sounds feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

What you are saying is Vodafone, one of the best networks, are effectively offering a €10 per (28 day) month plan with 100mins and 5Gb data, and you're a Vodafone customer, not a restricted MVNO customer. It sounds feasible.

In a word yes....it's effectively 29 days as it's a full 28 days plus the rest of the day on which the add on starts.

AFAIK, add ons don't have to be concurrent...which would mean that a data add on could start today and calls add on could start a week later and each lasts for 28 days with separate expiry dates.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    In a word yes....it's effectively 29 days as it's a full 28 days plus the rest of the day on which the add on starts.

AFAIK, add ons don't have to be concurrent...which would mean that a data add on could start today and calls add on could start a week later and each lasts for 28 days with separate expiry dates.

Hope vodafone are not reading this. No-one is offering a provider plan for a tenner. My legacy Eir plan was 1Gb and 200 mins which I never used up, and it was €15. They screwed me for tiny data overruns the occasional month. Post plan is great, but I'll never exceed 50Gb, or even 5 probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭bronkobilly

There is no requirement to top up your 20euro plan every 28days, unless you're dependent on plan benefits, buying an addon will also last 28days, ie 5gb for 5euro, 100min for 5eur! If this is all you need, why topup by 20 for extras that will not be used, I've been using it like this for past few months with no issues. It's a major advantage of Vodafone payg! No bills, direct debits, just buy what you need ,

will it just take the ad ons without a price plan as three wont unless u put the twenty on and then buy more ad ons

will it just take the ad ons without a price plan
    Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

will it just take the ad ons without a price plan as three wont unless u put the twenty on and then buy more ad ons

Make sure you topup using amounts under 20, as 20 in one go will activate your monthly plan,

Make sure you topup using amounts under 20, as 20 in one go will activate your monthly plan,
    This is the topup method described on vodafone site, you specifically request the add on with a text, I'm assuming you first add a generic cash topup for the amount, say, topup by a fiver, then 'spend' it on 5Gb data by texting "5DATA" to 50233 .
    556054.jpg

I'm assuming you first add a generic cash topup for the amount, say, topup by a fiver, then 'spend' it on 5Gb data by texting "5DATA" to 50233

Exactly.

This is what's shown under top up history in My Vodafone for add on transaction...
    Payment method Buy From Balance
    Channel SMS
    Voucher code N/A
    Amount €5.0

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Alternating between An Post Mobile and GoMo in an area where the 4G signal is quite good from both, I've found that the line is consistently much better with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Thinking of moving to An Post as Vodafone trying to tinker with my plan if I upgrade. Figure even leaving the new extras aside, if I buy the phone myself and it lasts 20 months I'll be saving 20 euro per month thereafter. 20 months is probably a decent life for a smart phone though!

Anyone any update on using a wifi hotspot on android and also what is roaming in the EU like for both data and calls / texts. Both of these would be important to me, the hotspot just to send emails and open files on laptop when away from wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

I'm with post Mobile and have an android phone.

Never had any issues with using the hotspot. Would often use it with the kids tablets if we're out for a spin or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Birka

Does wifi calling and VoLTE/4G calling work with iPhones on Post Mobile? Vodafone don't offer it on their PAYG plans so I'd like to be sure that it'll work properly before I switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭captainneutron

The only cheaper branded network that are offering this is Gomo

VoLte is used for calls on android, if your phone is enabled in the mobile network settings. Works on an S9, but not available on my previous S7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Do you have to subscribe to a plan with postmobile or can you just topup as you need to (whenever you run out of credit) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Does anyone know how the An Post network compares to Eir? I'm currently on Eir 30 day sim only, An Post looks to be half price for the same service. I hate the thoughts of switching but will make the move if the coverage is as good as Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you are in a position to bundle your Eir Mobile with Eir Fibre Broadband/TV, Eir offer an in-bundle price of €9.99 for the 30-day Sim-only account. It's a very competitive price. The price will go up after 12 months if you don't renegotiate, but I call them up each year to renew the bundle, and they always give me the €9.99 price for the next 12 months.

Regarding coverage, An Post use Vodafone's network, so if Vodafone coverage is good in your area, An Post is probably ok also. However, Eir is the only network that fully supports WiFi calling, and this is a lifesaver if you have bad indoor coverage anywhere, as it allows you to create your own coverage indoors. Not sure if An Post support WiFi calling? Vodafone have a limited version of WiFi Calling, but it may not be available to An Post customers. Now that International travel is possible again, WiFi calling will also allow you free calls when roaming outside of EU, if you have access to WiFi.

I switched from an old Eir legacy plan, when they messed up in data charges, charging me ad much as €3 day for a few Mbyte though I had lots of daya left in my measly 1Gb monthly allowance. Two months and zero response from their appalling customer service was the final straw. Rotten Eir coverage in my area made it an easy decision when I discovered postmobile was on Vodafone.

Eir wifi calling wouldn't work on my S7, I was told by Eir the software would only be added to original Eir plan purchased phones, but could be retrofitted by sending the phone to Eir service agents in Sandford, about €40 and phone gone for a week. I didn’t bother. My new (used) S9 didn't have it installed either, so I couldn't check out Postmobile/Vodafone but as I write, the option has appeared since I last looked, probably following a recent android upgrade. I've just turned it on there, now I'll have to figure out how to test it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks both, I've never used wifi calling, just had a look there and I see it's available on my phone but sure if you have wifi you can call people through whatsapp so I'm not sure of the benefit...!

I guess there is no way to know what the vodadfone/An Post coverage in my area is until I switch. Will investigate further!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

WhatsApp & Vodafone both off air this evening, so count yourself lucky to be still on eir!

You make a reasonable point regarding the difference between WhatsApp & WiFi calling. The advantage of WiFi calling is that you can make and receive normal calls and texts vs WhatsApp which only lets you call other WhatsApp users. There may not be a lot of difference for personal calls, but generally you can't call your GP, Hospital, Bank etc on WhatspApp, and more importantly - they can't call you.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Is there still no way to hotspot on an iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I’ve tried everything but can’t find a way to enable it.

You used to be able to do it using the Apple Configurator app on Mac to generate a profile with hotspot settings and send it to the phone but that method is disabled in recent iOS versions.

Regarding Wifi calling. I enabled that but it isn’t actually working. When I try to call Voicemail with zero cellular bars but full Wifi coverage the call always fails.

Would consider moving to the Eir €9.99 plan to get wifi calling. Not sure if tethering is included with them though.

Looks like Gomo also support it now.

I've been wondering where you might have WIFI but no Vodafone coverage in order to need WIFI calling, and apart from being abroad outside the EU, I can't see the need unless the roaming charges are horrendous.

If you have a modern router that supports sip telephony, its possible to install an app that makes your mobile a handset for your landline no. My mobile rings for landline calls while I'm at home. I also have a Virtual Private Network to the router set up on my mobile, so if I turn this on while abroad, my sip phone software enables, and I can make and receive home landline calls while sipping a Tequila in Acapulco.

That last bit is hypothetical alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭KildareP

Vodafone has plenty of blackspots around North Kildare for example, zero coverage around me on Vodafone while Three and Eir both have full signal across 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G.

Vodafone also appears to geoblock access to wifi calling from outside of Ireland so it is useless as a means of avoiding paying for roaming charges.

Its all relative to your distance from a mast in a rural area, especially in low population spots. Even north Kildare, major commuter zone that is is, has vast tracts of lightly inhabited areas in and around the bog of Allen, so it's easy to be fringe of one provider or another. Its exactly where I live, and the Eir signal is almost non existent at my home for calls, zero for data, even if you get up on the roof. The comreg coverage tool is accurate in my case. It didn't matter much when I was in the city all day, but it was their issues with incorrect charging, billing and their well publicised non existent outsourced customer service, (unless you like interacting with a completely indifferent and uninformed agent in Dehli), that was the last straw.

Try setting up a VPN to your home router when abroad, then your network connection is effectively your home far as the WiFi calling software is concerned. If you have to make essential commercial calls while abroad and the only numbers are all 1800 or 1850 or whatever, you can spend 20 minutes on hold listening to greensleeves safe in the knowledge that you're not being gouged by an extortionate roaming rate for accessing these numbers types from abroad. The only issue I can see is the strength of the geolocation module in the WiFi calling software. If it uses your satellite location, and it insists that this be on, or if it interrogates the local cell masts to discover where it is, then It may not work at all. I wonder does it work in airplane mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

What are the an post voice mail settings. Can you extend the ring time.

Advertisement