Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant recommendations for visitors?

• 15-06-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    We'll be staying in Galway city for a couple of nights in mid July and are looking for some restaurant recommendations.

We haven't been to Galway for nearly 20 years so we're thinking of doing Fat Freddys for old times sake as well as going to Zappis.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks (and hope you don't mind me asking OP)

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

furiousox wrote: »
    Hi All
    We'll be staying in Galway city for a couple of nights in mid July and are looking for some restaurant recommendations.

We haven't been to Galway for nearly 20 years so we're thinking of doing Fat Freddys for old times sake as well as going to Zappis.

Any other suggestions?

If not looking for fancy seating try Napolis. Delicious, sold by the (big) slice or entire pizza., Mainly take away bit have a few seats.

Not pizza related but try Handsome Burger, best burger I've ever had....
    I think there's a thread in this forum re restaurants but Kai, Dela (brunch), Cava to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from someone else's thread.

What type of food do you usually like? Steak? Mexican? Italian? Japanese?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Italian would be first choice followed by Indian then maybe a Steakhouse.
    Mrs isn't a big fan of fish dishes unfortunately.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Italian would be first choice followed by Indian then maybe a Steakhouse.
    Mrs isn't a big fan of fish dishes unfortunately.

Il Vicolo for really good, modern Italian food. Their pastry chef is currently on the Channel 4 Bake Off: The Professionals series, so dessert is recommended.
    The Indian restaurants here are much of a muchness, we prefer Tulsi, others prefer Eastern Tandoori, others Kashmir.
    Any of the gastropubs would do you a decent steak e.g. The Dail, 1520, Pucan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you're out Salthill way I'd suggest La Collina and Spiced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

New Indian opening across the road from Kashmir by the looks of things its a Spiced too, not sure if they are moving from salthill or its another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

As you like fish look at menu of Seafood bar at Kirwans Lane. They do more than just fish. And also Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Hi All

Any other suggestions?

Always had a soft spot for Venice for Italian.
    Brasserie has close to the best steaks in Galway in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Have family visiting later in the year so just been looking, Cooke's seem to have a nice diverse menu with good reviews, Caprice looks like it would be lovely for lunch/brunch but haven't tried either, if anyone could verify please?

Have tried Capones a few times, love it, nice relaxing atmosphere and used to have blues/jazz music not sure what the case would be now with Covid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Paddico

biko wrote: »
    Moved out from someone else's thread.

What type of food do you usually like? Steak? Mexican? Italian? Japanese?

In Galway for a few days so looking for Galway food myself as I get plenty of the above where I live.
    Any recommendations for good ol fashioned Irish food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Paddico wrote: »
    In Galway for a few days so looking for Galway food myself as I get plenty of the above where I live.
    Any recommendations for good ol fashioned Irish food?

Pubs serve that sort of thing usually. The Quays, Huntsman and Cookes restaurant come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pubs serve that sort of thing usually. The Quays, Huntsman and Cookes restaurant come to mind.

Yup. Also McSwiggans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yup. Also McSwiggans.

I was just thinking about the steak sandwich in The Cellar Bar the other day. I'll throw in Dáil Bar as well. Been meaning to get back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Went to Kai and it was excellent, thanks all!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 22 daniel_h

Had lunch there yesterday for the firsts time since the aul Covid. Was excellent as well. Have never been disappointed there.

Advertisement