Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wheels?

• 14-06-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Started cycling a bit more. Join a nice club and 2 spins a week now. 65-80k evening 100+ sunday
    I like my bike its comfortable and feels fast. I have mavic cosmic elite wheels and have been told it maybe worthwhile upgrading. (I could do with a better garmin too).
    Couple of questions
    How much to budget to gain a noticeably better ride/roll. I'm pretty bad at going uphill as I'm big and carrying a bit of weight. So help here would be best.
    Do I need to worry about clearance of tyres width etc for a wheel fitting my bike?
    Is 2nd hand an OK option for wheels?
    Should I keep my present ones for a while?
    Was thinking something like vision sc 40.
    But a bit worried about carbon and breaks in wet weather going down hill etc .
    I have rim brakes not disc
    Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Imo deal with weight first will make biggest difference. Wheels next if you dont lose weight get big fella wheels broken spokes lose youmore time than anything else. If you lose weight then good wheels ie light weight will make you feel even faster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nothing wrong with Mavic cosmic elites at all to consider upgrading really unless going all in on a big enough upgrade and you really want to.

As above, deal with the weight and just practice at the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

Upgrade the wheels, they will make a difference and you will enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Thabks for for info and I agree but i'm not young so reaching peak ability is not my goal , making life easier is!
    I do understand losing a few kg will help but I'm just about able to fit in a couple of cycles, with kids work garden etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Mavic cosmic elite is ok wheelset. New wheels will save 2 maybe even 3 seconds on a climb. Skipping few junk food portions will save you ten times that. You already cycle enough to lose weight, next step is to watch what you eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Another vote for concentrating on your own weight. Clubs can be snobby places and someone dissing your Cosmic Elites aint necessarily the right advice for you if you want to go faster/enjoy climbing a bit more, but easier to give than saying, "give up the confectionery" for a few months.

OK so the hard truth is the best I think, I'm a bit bad for having an extra biscuit or 2 with tea so will cut that out first.
    The club guys are very decent and don't seem snobbish at all , it's all in my head I think.
    Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd have cosmic elites as an upgrade to most "stock" wheels tbh - they were one of the ones I was looking at to upgrade too.

I'm not going to say don't upgrade - if it makes you happy, do so - but they're not going to make a massive difference to your power to weight which is what matters for climbing.

I'm also not going to say concentrate on you're own weight - you have to have your own head ready for that challenge, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Thabks for for info and I agree but i'm not young so reaching peak ability is not my goal , making life easier is!
    BVKEYhVCEAAPV5W.jpg
    :pac:

I was wondering, for big lads (like myself and the OP) are aero wheels (of similar weight to the existing wheels) a better upgrade than lightweight wheels? Would wheels that let you go faster for the same power output be a better investment than, say, reducing a 100 kg bike + rider weight to a 99.5 kg weight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think when you're looking at that level, just keep exercising and stop thinking that there's a magic wand that lets you go much faster. Keep practicing and you'll get faster because you're getting fitter. However, in order to keep practicing, keep enjoying it!

To answer your question though, have a read through this article: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1467/which-is-faster-aero-vs-lightweight-wheels

ARX wrote: »
    I was wondering, for big lads (like myself and the OP) are aero wheels (of similar weight to the existing wheels) a better upgrade than lightweight wheels? Would wheels that let you go faster for the same power output be a better investment than, say, reducing a 100 kg bike + rider weight to a 99.5 kg weight?
    Notwithstanding the article, on a club/ group spin, you'd probably be at the pace of the group on the flat and then every person for themselves on the climb? So do you really get the benefit on the flats? Solo would be different I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Repeating what some have already said, new wheels won't make a huge difference. Bigger gains to be got in other areas

However, I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. I upgraded the crap wheels which came with my Boardman road bike to Mavic Ksyriums which were a great wheel that I completely wore out. I then bought a second-hand set of fulcrum carbon wheels. Fantastic set of wheels, you do need to be a bit more cautious in the wet, brakes will work but takes a second for them to bite.

Nothing wrong with planning to upgrade wheels. Looking after and upgrading your bike is all part of the addiction, you should end up using it more with the new shiny bits. Don't rush into buying anything, you should get good deals with the industry moving to disc. Avoid the fake Zipps etc... While not all China direct wheels are bad they can look naff with fake logos.

I think when you're looking at that level, just keep exercising and stop thinking that there's a magic wand that lets you go much faster. Keep practicing and you'll get faster because you're getting fitter. However, in order to keep practicing, keep enjoying it!

Honestly the magic wand thing is something I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing.
    I'm happy training moved from tri tt sprints and lone training. The group spins are so much easier and more enjoyable.
    Thanks again for the wise words , very much appricated

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Notwithstanding the article, on a club/ group spin, you'd probably be at the pace of the group on the flat and then every person for themselves on the climb? So do you really get the benefit on the flats? Solo would be different I guess.
    I never ride in a group. But tbh I would probably be better off dropping 10 kg than reading about aero wheels while eating biscuits :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I lost the weight myself a few years ago. Fairly gradually too, then one year a load, in fact too much. I now hover about somewhere that's about right for me. Can go down a bit or up a small bit without needing to worry.

Anyway, losing the weight has allowed me to have that extra biscuit etc now when I want (within reason)

I did the same over a number of years (8 stone-ish over 5.5 years), and like that now have a bit more wriggle room having been in and around the same weight for 3. I probably did too much dieting on the bike though, which meant my raw power numbers were fairly static. If I was going again, that's one thing I wouldn't do - I'd fuel the bike and cut something else (It's still something I struggle a bit with to be honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I don't like people in particular so I love cycling on my own. I have 3 kids and a misses and the only time I get a minute to myself is on my bike.

I bought hunt aero 33 discs few months back. I don't race or do many hills, I dont time myself religiously, count watts etc

The one thing that was instantly noticable on my bike when I changed to carbons was the comfort. The bike is far more comfortable. The bike is nearly a 1kg lighter too and you notice it when you pick it up straight away.

I'd definitely get a set again when my pair come to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭padyjoe

You've got a nice enough wheelset already. To be better on the hills needs more training. It's up to you in the end, what you go for but after a quick search, losing that 300g won't be cheap.
    My example was not a long ago: I went from a 36/36 spokes and 2300g to 24/28/1700g. Yes, it's made me somewhat faster, the bike handles crisper but I'm still no Pantani. From here, I think I have to get down to start training and lose some more weight. I have a practical viewpoint, I want sturdiness, not the look or what the others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Carbon wheels and break pads to suit are not great in wet conditions especially if your coming down hills or any grade of decline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I would advise buy the shiney things and enjoy looking at them :D They probably won't make you go much faster, or make it any easier, but they'll feel nicer.
    That said what you have are a nice set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

eeeee wrote: »
    I would advise buy the shiney things and enjoy looking at them :D They probably won't make you go much faster, or make it any easier, but they'll feel nicer.
    That said what you have are a nice set of wheels.

i heartily agree i love my not so shiny new carbon hoops but just watch the weight limits on some wheels - i think hunt is pretty low.
    the bontrager i have dont have but they are disc so dont need to worry about braking.

Advertisement