Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toddlers in taxis

• 14-06-2021 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me have u ever had any issue with car seat in a taxi? I know legally they don't have to be used for public transport so can I just carry my 2 year old on my lap? Would some taxis nsist on a car seat or do most let you on without?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You can just place him on your lap, if you are comfortable with that.

Obvs safest option would be to bring a car seat too but not very practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Meeeee79

You can just place him on your lap, if you are comfortable with that.

Obvs safest option would be to bring a car seat too but not very practical.

Thankyou, it's only a short journey so I think it will have to be on my lap with seatbelt around us. Car seat is a monstrosity so definitely not practical. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

On the other side then, I had to get a taxi to bring the little one to creach one day, 3 year old and i just asked him to be here a few mins early popped the car seat in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

As a taxi driver,I've not heard of a driver insisting on a car seat.
    If you have one,and can fit it,no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

When our 5 year old was a toddler we used bring her on 20min taxi journeys no bother. Only piece of advice is to have them on your lap, but don't share a seat belt. If the car brakes suddenly your weight could crush them. I think you can get a toddler seat belt that attaches to you, might be a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Thankyou, it's only a short journey so I think it will have to be on my lap with seatbelt around us. Car seat is a monstrosity so definitely not practical. Thanks for your reply.

I don’t think you should be sharing a seat belt, surely all your inertia in a crash would mean you’d be squashing the child between yourself and the seat belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I bring my 2 year old in a taxi 1-2 times a week. I put him in a baby carrier and put the seat belt around us both and I've never had an issue with a taxi driver yet, I've been doing it about a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

I've taken my toddler in a taxi to the airport pre covid. She was about 1yo. I had her in the sling, on my front, with the seatbelt around me and her on the outside of it. So I would be caught by seatbelt but she not squashed by it.
    I did make sure the taxi stayed away from m50 as I was not comfortable travelling at high speed so we took a slower route through the city.
    While it's not ideal I agree it's not practical to bring the car seat in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭buffin

I had to bring my toddler for a covid test and needed to use a taxi. My car seat is a monstrosity too but I just asked the taxi driver to be a but early and used the seat belt to secure it in. Most car seats can be adjusted to be used without the isofix base. I personally would be too scared bringing him in a car without some kind of car seat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement