Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Doomofman wrote: »
    God damn, anyone else get constant issues with receiving verification codes on 48? Seems like every other day they're not working

Had to change phones a couple of times recently and had no problem with any verification codes when logging back in to stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

On a seperate company - the 48 network.It has stopped data & call roaming on its network when roaming in Northern Ireland.It had an agreement with EE but there is no connection for calls or internet available since mid May 2020.It was never great coverage before that.Texts are mostly ok,outgoing calls can be made occasionally,internet access impossible.Tried O2 and Vodafone-no go.3 UK no go too.

beachhead wrote: »
    On a seperate company - the 48 network.It has stopped data & call roaming on its network when roaming in Northern Ireland.It had an agreement with EE but there is no connection for calls or internet available since mid May 2020.It was never great coverage before that.Texts are mostly ok,outgoing calls can be made occasionally,internet access impossible.Tried O2 and Vodafone-no go.3 UK no go too.

May 2020? I've been to Northern Ireland multiple times in the past year doing deliveries and 48 worked fine. Could make and receive calls and texts and data worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

dannijuno wrote: »
    Thanks, I think I might bite the bullet and try Virgin. I've had it with 48's speeds. Virgin are doing a 10€ deal at the moment! My 48 is up in a few days.

Can I ask , roughly what speeds you're getting and what county you are in?

I'm currently trying out 48 and it's definitely slower than my other Sims. It always drops to LTE when the others are on 4G, or no service when the others are still getting a poor signal. Speed tests don't show much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭gussieg

surprisingly during the night last night, which would have previously been over 40mbps, getting around 6mbps. hope they havent started throttling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

LTE and 4G are the same , it depends on the handset. Just like a lot of other rubbish they come out with. I'm really browned off with Google , the so called updates they have come out with lately. (That's my rant for the week)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

How many working days did it take for ye to receive the sim? Seem to be waiting ages

buyer95 wrote: »
    How many working days did it take for ye to receive the sim? Seem to be waiting ages

For 48 took 3-4 days. Whichb seemed long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone having a problem with service dropping out? Myself and my wife having no problems at all but my mum saying her phone reception and data drops out around 10 times a day. Could this be a faulty sim or a faulty phone? Phone is pretty much new.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Anyone having a problem with service dropping out? Myself and my wife having no problems at all but my mum saying her phone reception and data drops out around 10 times a day. Could this be a faulty sim or a faulty phone? Phone is pretty much new.

I was having this issue, particularly when trying to make a phone call. Seemed to be an issue moving from 4g to 2g for a call or something. Got a replacement sim, and still had the same issues. Moved to Gomo, no problems since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yep with the last month.
    It's getting worse.
    Several times a day.
    It's currently down with the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

jimmy86 wrote: »
    I was having this issue, particularly when trying to make a phone call. Seemed to be an issue moving from 4g to 2g for a call or something. Got a replacement sim, and still had the same issues. Moved to Gomo, no problems since.

Yeah had the same issue, ended up leaving to Eir for €14.99 which includes unlimited 5G, WiFi calling and 4G calling, no issues since.

Didn’t have the issue on 3 which was strange. Reason I went to Eir was for WiFi calling. Had a few missed calls when indoors due to insulation on all operators which WiFi calling completely resolved.

I’d like if 48 acknowledged this issue as I had to cancel 3 accounts and lost the €7.99 deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

blade1 wrote: »

Yep with the last month.
    It's getting worse.
    Several times a day.
    It's currently down with the last hour.
    Cork981 wrote: »
    Yeah had the same issue, ended up leaving to Eir for €14.99 which includes unlimited 5G, WiFi calling and 4G calling, no issues since.

Didn’t have the issue on 3 which was strange. Reason I went to Eir was for WiFi calling. Had a few missed calls when indoors due to insulation on all operators which WiFi calling completely resolved.

I’d like if 48 acknowledged this issue as I had to cancel 3 accounts and lost the €7.99 deal.

I had the same problem with tesco mobile also on the 3 network, shocking dropping of network etc. I had no problem with 3, and now on virgin mobile with no issues. It appears this issue is common to 48 and tesco mobile. But took me a long time to work out it was neither my settings or my phone!! I feel your frustration. I was just so relieved to work out that it was the network (which I found hard to believe)!!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

tiegan wrote: »
    I had the same problem with tesco mobile also on the 3 network, shocking dropping of network etc. I had no problem with 3, and now on virgin mobile with no issues. It appears this issue is common to 48 and tesco mobile. But took me a long time to work out it was neither my settings or my phone!! I feel your frustration. I was just so relieved to work out that it was the network (which I found hard to believe)!!
    This seems to be due to the fact that the old O2 2G network still operates as a separate network. Whenever my Three SIM switches to 2G, the roaming symbol comes on. For some reason it particularly effects 48 and Tesco Mobile SIMs when they switch to/from 2G.

You could try changing your handset's settings to 4G/3G only and see if this resolves the issue.

I had started to have this recently on my old three/O2 Sim. I've just ported away. Be interesting to see do I still get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The issue with 48 data dropping out/slowing has been going on for a long time
    It is an MVNO on Three, and gets a lower priority. Search the thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116718694

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Quackster wrote: »
    This seems to be due to the fact that the old O2 2G network still operates as a separate network. Whenever my Three SIM switches to 2G, the roaming symbol comes on. For some reason it particularly effects 48 and Tesco Mobile SIMs when they switch to/from 2G.

You could try changing your handset's settings to 4G/3G only and see if this resolves the issue.
    Believe me, I tried everything!! Same phone works perfectly on Virgin and that's where I will stay for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭gussieg

worrying issue for me today. wont connect to certain numbers , some vodafone. can connect via whatsapp, but not by regular phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

IQO wrote: »
    Has anyone traveled outside of Ireland recently with a 48 subscription and Android?

I was in The Netherlands for about 2 days in March, and wasn't able to get any working data connection during my time there. I briefly chatted with the online chat service on 48.ie, who gave me the following roaming details -

Although adding the above details in my phone, it didn't change anything for my internet connection. In the end I gave up and got by easily through readily available wifi - but I was wondering if more people have come across issues like this?

Probably most people stayed in country over the last year - hopefully everyone will be able to travel later this year, so I'm curious if anyone else experienced this and on how to fix this. As I'm now in Ireland I can't replicate the issues from before, but it would be good to get this in order for a next trip.
    Again in The Netherlands, one hour on support with 48 today - seems you can't get faster speeds than EDGE (3G) while roaming on 48 in The Netherlands (chooses the Vodafone network here). Does anyone have successful experiences when roaming in other European countries?

If its not working well now when traveling is open up again, I might switch back to Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Again in The Netherlands, one hour on support with 48 today - seems you can't get faster speeds than EDGE (3G) while roaming on 48 in The Netherlands (chooses the Vodafone network here). Does anyone have successful experiences when roaming in other European countries?

If its not working well now when traveling is open up again, I might switch back to Three.

Did 48 give any reason why only 3G was available? There should be a fair use roaming policy and this should be "roam like at home". If you consistently get 4G at home then 3G isn't going to cut it.

The only way to make them adhere to the EU Roaming regs is to call them out and make a complaint to the regulator.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/internet-telecoms/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭KildareP

basill wrote: »
    Did 48 give any reason why only 3G was available? There should be a fair use roaming policy and this should be "roam like at home". If you consistently get 4G at home then 3G isn't going to cut it.

The only way to make them adhere to the EU Roaming regs is to call them out and make a complaint to the regulator.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/internet-telecoms/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

They most likely don't have a 4G roaming agreement in place - up until very recently Three didn't either.

Similarly, 5G roaming is extremely sparse at the moment (not just amongst Irish networks).

Unfortunately there is nothing that mentions speeds in the EU regs - they could cap all roaming at GPRS access levels if they wanted and still be within the regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

KildareP wrote: »
    They most likely don't have a 4G roaming agreement in place - up until very recently Three didn't either.

Similarly, 5G roaming is extremely sparse at the moment (not just amongst Irish networks).

Unfortunately there is nothing that mentions speeds in the EU regs - they could cap all roaming at GPRS access levels if they wanted and still be within the regs.

I think you are right. It would appear that the current regs are in place till 30 June 2022. After that date the new regs take over which put a bit more meat onto the bones in terms of "roam like at home". In the FAQs it specifically states that if you have 4G at home then 3G whilst roaming would not be acceptable. Also the operators would have to disclose to you what service you are likely to receive in each roaming country eg:5G, 4G, 3G etc. Hopefully 48 and the other MVNOs will early adopt.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/QANDA_21_654

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

..... Does anyone have successful experiences when roaming in other European countries?....

4G in Spain :)

Had to add APN manually ( might have been due to handset rather than network )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭gooner99

3d4life wrote: »
    4G in Spain :)

Had to add APN manually ( might have been due to handset rather than network )

Roaming didn't work for me in the North last week either. What do I need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

muffinhead wrote: »
    I received this email for a spare sim I activated on 1st Feb but haven't used since:
    Hi muffinhead,

Your account will be made inactive soon because of lack of use. Your 48 service will continue for now, but any credit on your account will expire 90 days after your account goes inactive.

Want to keep your account active?
    You can stop this by keeping your account active. Just activate a new monthly membership. If you need any help, just let us know.
    I'll hold out until the end of July before I do anything as that will bring me up to the 6 months.

I got the exact same email today.

Its a spare phone i changed over to 48 because i thought the roaming data would come in handy when things open up again.
    My last membership finished on April 1st, that's less than 3 months, I thought as long as you bought membership every 6 months your account remained active, by the looks of that email its only 3 months.

Anyone left it longer that 3 months? or were the cut off.

mgn wrote: »

Seems common now on many networks. I think Vodafone is the only one with a longer deactivation period. I could be wrong.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Seems common now on many networks. I think Vodafone is the only one with a longer deactivation period. I could be wrong.

Seems to be, its just 48 says in their Q+A section that its 6 months, I've seen other posters on here saying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

mgn wrote: »
    I got the exact same email today.

Its a spare phone i changed over to 48 because i thought the roaming data would come in handy when things open up again.
    My last membership finished on April 1st, that's less than 3 months, I thought as long as you bought membership every 6 months your account remained active, by the looks of that email its only 3 months.

Usually it’s from when you last paid them, not when the membership expired so that’s probably the full 6 months…

xebec wrote: »
    Usually it’s from when you last paid them, not when the membership expired so that’s probably the full 6 months…

The last time I renewed my membership was March 1st so that's less than 4 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The last time I renewed my membership was March 1st so that's less than 4 months.

They'll probably send another mail at end of June saying account is inactive and that any credit will expire after another 3 months (6 months in total since last membership ended). The SIM will still work.

Advertisement