Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stones left on cycle lanes

• 11-06-2021 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Has anyone encountered this? Very small minded, and indeed highly dangerous, thing to do. I am convinced it is being done deliberately on the cycle lane from Sandyford down to Blackrock village. Hopefully it is just kids messing, if it's an adult.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I know on some of the mountain bike pages on facebook, cyclist are warning that people have been leaving huge rocks out on some of the trails on purpose. Pure scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I know on some of the mountain bike pages on facebook, cyclist are warning that people have been leaving huge rocks out on some of the trails on purpose. Pure scum.

"huge rocks" - so therefore, adults must be doing it, or at the very least adolescents. As you say, pure scummery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re the OP, how big are the stones? possibly fallen out of a passing dump truck maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

re the OP, how big are the stones? possibly fallen out of a passing dump truck maybe?

They are small. It's possibly they fell from a truck as there is a lot of construction work in the area, but there were three or four of them directly adjacent to each other in one spot, which is why I suspect human agency. It doesn't seem likely they concidentally clustered in the one spot after falling from a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Any chance they are put there so you get off your bike, then some lads hop out and rob you?
    Similar to the broken glass trick on the canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I came off my bike a few months ago just after the south-bound Wyattville-N11 'overpass-junction' after hitting a fist-sized stone/rock in the cycle lane where it goes through the concrete islands seen on the left here https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2473841,-6.1368095,3a,75y,143.64h,67.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUyY4QikwCpRLko4Ux1oAtw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192. Lost control, went into the curb just past the junction and flew onto the footpath, wrenching my shoulder and ribcage. Shoulder was so bad (though improved a bit since then) that I was/am afraid to have it looked at. Was mad at myself for failing to notice the stone until it was too late, but equally I was thinking that IF it had been put there deliberately I would want the perpetrator convicted of grevious bodily harm and sent to a special place in hell etc. Just a single stone in this case, though, so less likely to have been deliberate, I suppose.

Thank for the heads-up (or down, a it were :p) anyway, OP - which road exactly was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Has anyone encountered this? Very small minded, and indeed highly dangerous, thing to do. I am convinced it is being done deliberately on the cycle lane from Sandyford down to Blackrock village. Hopefully it is just kids messing, if it's an adult.....

Anywhere in particular on that route that we should be looking out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

One of the local cycle tracks is on a route heavily used by trucks, and where ever there's no grass verge it's covered in small stones to an unusable extent.

I swear every time I use it I report it to the council and ask them to sweep it every two weeks or something minimal, but hasn't worked the last 10 times or so.

Anyway, might be nothing malicious depending on the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think its a stretch to say people are leaving stones there - cycle lanes are on the verge and any debris will end up there.

The council does a far better job that people give them credit for - no they arent cleaned out every day, but they do get cleaned out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The council does a far better job that people give them credit for - no they arent cleaned out every day, but they do get cleaned out.
    I've reported gravel, glass, etc on the Nangor Rd cycle path (at Grange Castle & Profile Park) and how at some points, it was almost dangerous. Nothing done :rolleyes:

Councils choose what to do and something like a cycle path will be way down their list of priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cycled phibsboro/church street recently, first time in many months. the (wand protected) cycle lanes there were filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

i cycled phibsboro/church street recently, first time in many months. the (wand protected) cycle lanes there were filthy.

Course they are, you can't get a street sweeper in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Isn't that trail issue more about walkers v cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've reported gravel, glass, etc on the Nangor Rd cycle path (at Grange Castle & Profile Park) and how at some points, it was almost dangerous. Nothing done :rolleyes:

Councils choose what to do and something like a cycle path will be way down their list of priorities.

Until someone injures themselves and takes a claim against the council. Then it'll be on their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are small. It's possibly they fell from a truck as there is a lot of construction work in the area, but there were three or four of them directly adjacent to each other in one spot, which is why I suspect human agency. It doesn't seem likely they coincidentally clustered in the one spot after falling from a truck.
    You should report it to the local council so they can get sweepers out. Also get onto some of the councillors, the more militant the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

How long did it take you to clear the rocks away for the benefit of the next people using the lane?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Course they are, you can't get a street sweeper in there.

They have mini ones and have been using them for cycle lanes, but obviously not regular or widespread enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

There was a large stone left on the cycle path on the N31 just by Stillorgan reservoir, at a pinch point in the cycle lane by the cycle/pedestrian entrance that leads to the luas. Heading towards the N11.

I don't know if it was just because I read this thread beforehand, but it was interestingly rested/placed, it made me think that it was put there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Hurrache wrote: »
    They have mini ones and have been using them for cycle lanes, but obviously not regular or widespread enough.

yeah, they used to use "green machines" for street sweeping, but I haven't seen them in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭con747

If any use you could try these. https://fixmystreet.ie Might get a better outcome.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

con747 wrote: »
    If any use you could try these. https://fixmystreet.ie Might get a better outcome.

I got an update just today from a report I made about stones in a cycle lane in March.

March 2020. Pre-****ing-pandemic.

buffalo wrote: »
    I got an update just today from a report I made about stones in a cycle lane in March.

Fingal, by any chance?

Fingal, by any chance?

Yes. I got another two updates subsequently, so they must be doing a clearing out of old tickets.

Yes. I got another two updates subsequently, so they must be doing a clearing out of old tickets.

Snap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

In April I got an email from someone in Kildare CoCo asking for the exact location of rubbish bags I took a picture of in April... 2019 :eek: They were willing to meet up and everything.

I submitted 3 reports in late April / early May. Balbriggan & Finglas (both Fingal I assume) just got back to me today, but DCC got back to me within 24 hours.

Advertisement