Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax on Staking

Options
  • 14-06-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

I know this has come up before but how are people treating taxes for staking rewards now?

Guidance is not clear but from what I can gather it's classed as income that you declare at the end of year and not capital gains. Is that about right?

If so from when do you calculate your tax?

Say you get 1000 tokens per month as staking rewards, are you liable for the EUR equivalent at the time you get them (even if you don't convert) or is it only when you cash out?

For example say over a year you get 12000 tokens but you don't convert to EUR, is it still classed as income and so you pay your income tax on it, or is it only when you convert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Elessar wrote: »
    I know this has come up before but how are people treating taxes for staking rewards now?

Guidance is not clear but from what I can gather it's classed as income that you declare at the end of year and not capital gains. Is that about right?

If so from when do you calculate your tax?

Say you get 1000 tokens per month as staking rewards, are you liable for the EUR equivalent at the time you get them (even if you don't convert) or is it only when you cash out?

For example say over a year you get 12000 tokens but you don't convert to EUR, is it still classed as income and so you pay your income tax on it, or is it only when you convert?

Dividends/interest from staked coins are almost certainly treated the same as any other interest/dividend generated from holding an asset i.e. it is subject to income tax (at the market value of the coins at the time of receipt) when recieved.

They will subsequently be taxed under cgt rules when they are disposed of. (On the balance of the gain I.e.sellig price less market value at date of receipt)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Dividends/interest from staked coins are almost certainly treated the same as any other interest/dividend generated from holding an asset i.e. it is subject to income tax (at the market value of the coins at the time of receipt) when recieved.

They will subsequently be taxed under cgt rules when they are disposed of. (On the balance of the gain I.e.sellig price less market value at date of receipt)

Problem is tracking the stake rewards as some places give it daily, some weekly, some with no value at all.

I'm been playing with a few exchanges, wallets to see what suits me best and I might stick with Celsius as the main place now as its weekly and it gives both the coin and the coin value.

Advertisement