Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best cycling club jersey

• 14-06-2021 12:14am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭

so; which club has the best jersey? i certainly don't know nearly as much as many on the forum here, but i do like the dunshaughlin one. there seems to have been a welcome change towards simpler designs in the last few years, or is that just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I’ve always liked the St Tiernans jersey. Tallaght Wheelers I quite like too. And the Marble City Wheelers because it’s black and amber! Reservoir Cogs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

This thread is useless without pics.

And you can't beat the Orwell Wheelers eight-pack 💪

N2E2ZTlhOGYwYzcyMGZhYzkwZjgwOTkyZDAwYzZlNjnBxuKpn308zrTiDfERhri2aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vOTA0Nzg2MjZiYjJjZjc3MmU2ODczYzJmODkwZjI4NDY3YTA0OTc4M2FlNTBlZDQ4MGMxM2MwMjgwOTA0MWU4Zi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Biased of course but I do think the Irish Road Club made a great job of the last revamp.

IMG-20210614-083700.jpg

The Joe Daly kit is really simple but looks great on, to my eye.

FB-IMG-1623656474051.jpg

I think a big mistake clubs make is going for the "budget" cut so you end up with ill-fitting saggy, baggy kit regardless of the wearer. It's well worth going for the modern, race fit style, - full zip, with the slick aerobanding around the leg grippers on the shorts and the waist and arms/cuffs and collar on the jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What I think was the first Reservoir Cogs jersey when it was more like the Reservoir Dogs artwork. I think they've changed it since though?
    fat bloke wrote: »
    I think a big mistake clubs make is going for the "budget" cut so you end up with ill-fitting saggy, baggy kit regardless of the wearer. It's well worth going for the modern, race fit style, - full zip, with the slick aerobanding around the leg grippers on the shorts and the waist and arms/cuffs and collar on the jerseys.
    My club offers both in the club shop, so it's up to the riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

De Ronde van Cork have a nice distinctive one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fat bloke wrote: »
    Biased of course but I do think the Irish Road Club made a great job of the last revamp.

IMG-20210614-083700.jpg
    oh no, that's ugly. i can count six, possibly seven usher logos on it. that's why i liked the dunshaughlin one, it's a nice classic simple design.
    it's like this, but without the rainbow stripes.

555828.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Jerseys without a sponsor > jerseys with a sponsor.
    Original design > rip of a retro or pro kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Everyone is going to say their Club jersey, which is fair enough (but wrong).

The STCC Jersey is the classiest jersey out there and I'm not biased in anyway*. It also makes you** go faster as pictures from the weekend testify.

Greally-600x326.jpg

*not an actual fact

**apart from me

Other than that I've always liked this one

gaybo-old.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i like ours (probably the only one that does !)555830.jpg

I can tell you what the ugliest jersey out there is but I don't want to upset anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Everyone's gonna pick their own club!
    In fairness Sundrive has famously had the best kit in the country for years - other clubs have moved their kit closer to their design over the last few years (the retro, simple look).

Otherwise I like the 905 kit and the Dan Morrissey kit, I like that they're colourful.

555833.jpg

555835.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Another thing going for the Tiernan's jersey is you get to see it in the Veulta, similarish to the Burgos colours.

I like the revamped Bray Wheelers one, mostly as the older Bray Wheelers one was pretty bad!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Peterx wrote: »
    Another thing going for the Tiernan's jersey is you get to see it in the Veulta, similarish to the Burgos colours.

I like the revamped Bray Wheelers one, mostly as the older Bray Wheelers one was pretty bad!

Bray have to win best improved kit!

The UCD kit is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As it's getting a mention and I do like the current iteration. Also there is a story behind the colours - Blue for the sky and sea, purple for the heather (and the now missing Yellow for the gorse). Not sure how to embed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Have Dublin wheelers changed theirs recently?

I thought I saw some in a mint green type type with italicized writing over the weekend and it was nice.

I'm in agreement with wishbone ash otherwise. The de ronde jersey is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

oh no, that's ugly. i can count six, possibly seven usher logos on it. that's why i liked the dunshaughlin one, it's a nice classic simple design.
    it's like this, but without the rainbow stripes.

No you're ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

I'm hesitant to buy my own club jersey considering you're basically a billboard, nevermind that it's not the nicest looking club jersey out there. Most of them I've seen are a bit ugly tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭billyhead

Swords CC. Close the thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

Weepsie wrote: »
    Have Dublin wheelers changed theirs recently?

I thought I saw some in a mint green type type with italicized writing over the weekend and it was nice.

I'm in agreement with wishbone ash otherwise. The de ronde jersey is lovely

Could have been Ashbourne Wheelers?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

As a neutral Johnny no-mates club, I'd give Sundrive my vote. Although it does look very similar to the one the chap wears on the Strava log-in screen...any idea what jersey this is?

Capture.png

• Advertisement

Saw a fella up my way last week in kit that was like the offspring of the Wanti and Androni jerseys. Mainly white with blue shoulders and a tonne of different logo's.

No idea what club it was but it looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

colm18 wrote: »
    As a neutral Johnny no-mates club, I'd give Sundrive my vote. Although it does look very similar to the one the chap wears on the Strava log-in screen...any idea what jersey this is?

Capture.png

Brixton cycles, my old local club, rode with them for 5 years while I lived in London. I still ride around sligo in the kit. I know the guy in the strava pic, but rarely rode with him as I mostly rode on the track, he’s a cycle courier that rides with the club mostly on the road.

The kit is actually shop kit, so anyone can buy it, but the associated club also wear it. It was redesigned earlier this year so it’s slightly different, but still the nicest club kit: https://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/product/3884/milltag-brixton-cycles-classic-jersey-recycled-fabric-m/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

comete wrote: »
    Could have been Ashbourne Wheelers?

Yup, think so. Especially given the part of the world I was in

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Morris Garren

Sundrive have had one of the best jerseys for many years, and I agree with the love for St Tiernans too. Unfortunately it seems easier to identify the more garish and uglified club jerseys than the cool ones-- there should be a National committee set up to ensure compliance with some minimum standard of velo-coolness before these are let loose on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I always thought the Powerhouse sport jerseys looked well, especially from 2019. Although I was only ever used to seeing them from behind on race day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I haven't seen it in the flesh, but I like the look of the new Ballymena kit.

555915.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Not a member, but St Teirnan's by a distance for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭jamesd

Portumna CC, designed by local school.

Cycling Ireland used to have a page with Club Jerseys - vanished now.

Would be cool to have some sort of online archive of current and old jerseys. Might throw one up on Flickr or someplace similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I liked the SDCC one, Carlow newest one is nice as well. I like the STCC kit and I know I appear biased but I hated their old one, it was awful. I do dislike Lucan and Longford for the simple fact that they have the same colours, same initials and I simply dislike Hi Vis yellow unless it intentionally garish. Orwell appears to be influenced by the HIghroad HTC kit which I like but it doesn't work great with the green, but green is a hard colour to pull off in a kit unless it is a large block colour I think. I also like the sundrive kit, tempted to join them just for the kit.

Advertisement