Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lighthouse cinema vs IFI

Options
  • 11-06-2021 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

For those of you who live in Dublin, do you prefer going to the Lighthouse cinema or to the Irish Film Institute? Both show more arthouse films, as opposed to bigger cinemas.

Lighthouse or IFI? 24 votes

Lighthouse cinema
    87% 21 votes
    IFI
    12% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The Lighthouse shows quite a bit of mainstream cinema as well as more obscure, cult type stuff. The cinemas are very comfy and the building is a bit quirky and impressive.

The IFI is great for world cinema seasons and more arthouse fare. The building is a lovely place to visit in the centre of Dublin. Since they renovated the cinemas the seats are more comfortable too.

I voted for the Lighthouse but they’re both great cultural venues in Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe they have renovated since, but the last time I was in the IFI - and I think it was Screen 1 - the seating was phenomenally narrow, while the sound system decided to blast out at ear rattling volume (this was a special screening of Blade Runner, maybe 4, 5 years ago now?). After complaining twice we just left as it was too loud - something I have literally never complained about before or after.

The Lighthouse is a much comfier, modern set-up, though again the last time I was there the experience was tainted slightly by the smell of stale booze (this was a Midnight showing so TBF it probably was due its clean).

I'd add the Stella to the list: very expensive tickets but giant, comfortable leather sofas, and table service? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe they have renovated since, but the last time I was in the IFI - and I think it was Screen 1 - the seating was phenomenally narrow, while the sound system decided to blast out at ear rattling volume (this was a special screening of Blade Runner, maybe 4, 5 years ago now?). After complaining twice we just left as it was too loud - something I have literally never complained about before or after.

They put new seats into the IFI a few years ago which gives a lot more legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Lighthouse for me. Great cinema with a better selection of Movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Lighthouse for me. Never liked IFI, especially it's location: when you leave, you are straight out into the Temple Bar riff raff :) Mind you Smithfield is no paradise either, but I like the size and feel of Lighthouse: more modern, more European. Plus staff are nicer there (in my experience) and I love the seating.

• Advertisement

Lighthouse all day, but thats based on a visit to the IFI years ago- twas like sitting on a school chair for two hours

If theyve renovated then fair enough

Special word for their odd outdoor showings, though- they are absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

IFI is great, I much prefer the IFI experience over the lighthouse...the only thing I dislike in the IFI is screen / cinema 3... the tiny one... the seats are not comfy and there a general feeling of cramped space...also anybody that needs to use the bathroom has to walk directly in front of the screen blocking it momentarily and that’s annoying...

Ok, if you need the bathroom but ive been at screenings there where people were up and down with regularity getting drinks, snacks and what not... it’s a poor design basically...but that aside I’m an IFI guy....

I also much prefer exiting into temple bar over Smithfield, especially if late.... much safer feeling area.... Smithfield is a bit grim late at night..

been going to the IFI for 15 plus years...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Love both.

Very different vibes and both doing a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,830 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lighthouse easy.
    IFI they did a nice job of the communal areas refurb, but screens are still tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Hell is being confined to a sold-out Screen 3 a the IFI, watching a three-hour German film. My god, I don't ever remember being so uncomfortable.

Oh, wait, I do. It was watching a three-hour mind-melter, a few rows from the front, in Screen 1. Any seats to the right of the door leave your neck aching. Also, because of the number of speaker events held at the IFI, there is a permanent table with chairs on top of a podium below the screen. I cannot understand how an institution that styles itself as the national cinema doesn't see a problem with leaving a table between the screen and the audience.

They've since replaced the seats in Screen 1 (and maybe the others), but bizarrely they went for a shade of turquoise that makes them look like airplane seats (which I expect will age terribly), and the comfort is about the level that high street cinemas reached ten years ago, and have since eclipsed.

So, without a moment's thought, I nominate the Lighthouse. Such a shame, because the IFI's location is fantastic (about the only thing that brings me into Temple Bar) and it has a lovely cafe. And although the Lighthouse has a great range of popular and art house films, there's much that the IFI shows that the Lighthouse doesn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement