Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Dura Ace (maybe)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's not easy on the eye. i really don't like the angular look on the RD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think it looks a bit cheap and tacky.

I'd still 100% take it if offered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It's not much different from the 9100 series looks wise so I think it looks fine. With the focus on wireless and 12 speed I didn't expect much change in the astetic side of things.

Will be interesting now to see if the released cassette comes on micro spline only or can fit current systems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's not much different from the 9100 series looks wise so I think it looks fine.
    it's not much different from 9100, hence it looks ugly!

i bought an ultegra groupset after R8000 came out but i deliberately asked for 6800 (partly because it was cheaper, partly because i did not like the look of R8000)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's all a bit Michael Keaton Bat man looking

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Alanbt

it's not much different from 9100, hence it looks ugly!

i bought an ultegra groupset after R8000 came out but i deliberately asked for 6800 (partly because it was cheaper, partly because i did not like the look of R8000)

9000 is lovely looking. Something not just all black really would stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

That won’t be the finished product. I’d expect a different finish on all metallic parts.

The textured hoods will be nice I reckon. But hardly ground breaking - Sensah have them on their €100 Empire groupset

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Looks grand to me. Plainer is better in terms of not challenging the aesthetics of a build. It'll be a sad day if it's announced disc only or electronic only though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

fat bloke wrote: »
    It'll be a sad day if it's announced disc only or electronic only though :(

It's been suggested its both, unfortunately. The new shifter design doesn't allow for sweeps of the brake lever from the pictures availible — there may still be a separate mechanical design. However, during the release of 9100, the Shimano marketing guys said Dura Ace is a pro specific groupset above everything else. The pro's are no longer riding disc's (Fausto Pinarello was spotted on the new, disc only Dogma 14, so Ineos will switch to discs), everyone's riding Di2, so why produce another rim brake and/or mechanical model?

Here's hoping that they do release mechanical and rim brake versions for new Ultegra and 105 — the everyman workhorse gruppo's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The F14 will have disc and rim brake options. Carapaz has been photographed on the rim brake version so Ineos may well be sticking with rim brakes for another season.
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    It's been suggested its both, unfortunately. The new shifter design doesn't allow for sweeps of the brake lever from the pictures availible — there may still be a separate mechanical design. However, during the release of 9100, the Shimano marketing guys said Dura Ace is a pro specific groupset above everything else. The pro's are no longer riding disc's (Fausto Pinarello was spotted on the new, disc only Dogma 14, so Ineos will switch to discs), everyone's riding Di2, so why produce another rim brake and/or mechanical model?

Here's hoping that they do release mechanical and rim brake versions for new Ultegra and 105 — the everyman workhorse gruppo's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The F14 will have disc and rim brake options. Carapaz has been photographed on the rim brake version so Ineos may well be sticking with rim brakes for another season.

I stand corrected if thats true, but will they stay on rim brakes if Shimano go disc only for 9200? How ironic, though, that a team prides itself on being at the forefront of everything in cycling, might still be riding rim brakes and using generation old calipers next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

velo.2010 wrote: »
    rim brakes...... the forefront of everything in cycling.

Exactly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

fat bloke wrote: »
    Exactly. :)

Agreed. Disc brakes on road bikes - the answer to a question that wasn't being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gn3dr wrote: »
    Agreed. Disc brakes on road bikes - the answer to a question that wasn't being asked.

you know the best thing about disc brakes. not cleaning aluminium sludge off your forks after wet rides

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Disc brakes on a TT bike are the ultimate!

Advertisement