Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let myself go - need help

• 04-06-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hello! Between having a baby and the pandemic/working from home, I've really 'let myself go' over the past year. I've never been into make-up, heels, frills etc but I would have been reasonably well dressed in the past. I would usually have worn jeans, boots/converse/sandals and a jumper/denim shirt/nice t-shirt & cardigan (depending on the season/weather etc.). My style is a bit boho and I love accessories like colourful scarves and jewellery. In the past couple of years it feels like all of my favourite clothes have got stained/ripped/worn out and I have turned into a total slob.

Where do I start?? What kind of jeans should I buy now that skinny jeans are out? Any help/advice appreciated.

If it makes a difference I'm tall and hourglass/pear shaped, size 12ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EHellothere

I'm in the same boat with wfh, usually live in gym trousers and a nice top for when the camera gets turned on!! :) but I do feel a bit 'meh' most of the time, just not making an effort like I used too... so you're not alone! When I put on a bit of tinted moisturer/tan I feel 100% better tho.

If you like colourful scarfs and accessories, you can't go wrong with 2 black jumpers that you can dress up. I have a few long sleeved tops from Dunnes (they're really cheap, but handy for during the day!). Dunnes also always have some lovely colourful blouses that go lovely with jeans and just handy, while I like H&M for their jumpers & cardigans (also because of free returns).

I'd start with the basics, a good pair of jeans (I'm still into black skinnys so can't advise on that), and some basic tops/jumpers. If you can't upcycle some of your favourite clothes I'd just get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just bought some ‘ mom jeans’ and I love them. Got them in mango. I think they are reasonably smart and comfy to wear. Sizing is small though so be warned. I ignore the number. Currently wearing pale blue ones with colourful Tom’s and a plain grey t shirt and I think it looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I'm in the same boat with wfh, usually live in gym trousers and a nice top for when the camera gets turned on!! :) but I do feel a bit 'meh' most of the time, just not making an effort like I used too... so you're not alone! When I put on a bit of tinted moisturer/tan I feel 100% better tho.

If you like colourful scarfs and accessories, you can't go wrong with 2 black jumpers that you can dress up. I have a few long sleeved tops from Dunnes (they're really cheap, but handy for during the day!). Dunnes also always have some lovely colourful blouses that go lovely with jeans and just handy, while I like H&M for their jumpers & cardigans (also because of free returns).

I'd start with the basics, a good pair of jeans (I'm still into black skinnys so can't advise on that), and some basic tops/jumpers. If you can't upcycle some of your favourite clothes I'd just get rid.

Good to know I'm not alone! Don't wear tan but a little swipe of blusher tends to do the trick for me. Went and put some on after I read your post!

I also love black skinnies but mine are all getting to the end of their lives and I keep hearing that skinnies are dead :eek:

Think you're right though to start with a few basics that will let me wear some of the things that I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

fits wrote: »
    I just bought some ‘ mom jeans’ and I love them. Got them in mango. I think they are reasonably smart and comfy to wear. Sizing is small though so be warned. I ignore the number. Currently wearing pale blue ones with colourful Tom’s and a plain grey t shirt and I think it looks ok.

I tried on a pair of my sister's 'mom jeans' a while back and they were surprisingly nice. I'll take a look at Mango, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hi OP, it doesn't matter whether skinnies are gone or not. If you like them, wear them! :) I love my skinny jeans and have every intention of getting back into them. I'm at an age now where I won't have my wardrobe dictated by what's "fashionable" :D I find River Island good for skinnies - good quality and a good range of sizes from 6 short to 20 long and everything in between!

I'm in the same boat. Two pregnancies and lockdown - my current wardrobe is basically just black maternity leggings and maternity t-shirts. Before all this I always dressed up nice for work, and I admit sometimes I look at my "old" wardrobe with its dresses and high heels and I feel a sort of sadness for a past life :( It's weird. Fully intend getting back into it in a few months though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Antares35 wrote: »
    Hi OP, it doesn't matter whether skinnies are gone or not. If you like them, wear them! :) I love my skinny jeans and have every intention of getting back into them. I'm at an age now where I won't have my wardrobe dictated by what's "fashionable" :D I !

Was just about to write this!
    If they are still for sale it means they are still fashionable and relevant!
    I still wore bootcut when skinny came in and shall still wear both of them now. You wear what suits your size and shape.
    Hell i never even had a side parting so now im in fashion again with my middle parting! :pac:

I echo the post about dressing up basics, like you I haven't made any effort in the last year Nd half but I'm in the office a couple of days a week now and I've gone for a few nice blouses/tops with jeans that look good with boots/shoes and a couple of light cardigans/jackets.

Plus most things come back into fashion, so does it ever really go out? I think just suiting your shape is the main thing.

If you go to Dunnes/H&M they have a womens essentials/basic clothing range. Just thinking that my 'essential' list would be..

1) Dark jumper, light (eg camel/creme) jumper
    2) Couple of long sleeved tops for during the day
    3) Dark and light pair of jeans
    4) I have a denim jacket from pennies that I live in over the summer (the only thing thats properly lasted for me from there), just handy to throw over a top when you're running out the door. But could go for a trench coat.
    5) Once you have the basics start off building a few nice blouses (this takes time to find a few nice ones)
    6) In around August/September you should see a few nice summer bits (hopefully) going on sale, that's the right time to get some summer dresses/skirts. But you could also buy 1 or 2 nice chunky jumpers that are on sale now for the winter (if you're a bargain hunter like me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I find Arket and Uniqlo best for basic pieces that can be paired with more exciting items. Mango is good this year if you like boho stuff. Sezane has some lovely stuff but I haven't ordered from them yet.

I wouldn't worry about what type of jeans is in fashion. I never wore skinny jeans because they don't suit me. I think a pair of straight leg jeans is very versatile though. T shirt and jeans is very on trend at the moment, so are cardigans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 for the straight leg jeans! Penneys do a "Vintage Straight" that is a great shape. I was in & Other Stories the other day and they had some lovely looking jeans too, but I haven't tried them myself. They're actually a good shout for nice tees, shirts and blouses too.

Chino style trousers are a nice alternative to jeans as well.

If you've not been fitted for a bra in a while, I'd add that to the list. Clothes can fit so much better with the right bra!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

Hi OP,

Most of the online shopping site (asos, boohoo, etc) have a wide variety of brands/ options, where you can shop by shape and height :).

I think most people are in the same boat as you! Currently sitting in a pair of tracksuit bottoms and sweatshirt with hair in a ratty bun - time to get back into the routine of dressing me thinks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Good to know I'm not alone! Don't wear tan but a little swipe of blusher tends to do the trick for me. Went and put some on after I read your post!

I also love black skinnies but mine are all getting to the end of their lives and I keep hearing that skinnies are dead :eek:

Think you're right though to start with a few basics that will let me wear some of the things that I already have.

Don't worry, skinnys aren't dead, still plenty in the shops so if you like them, wear them! Its all about what you feel comfortable in and then just build from there. Penney's is great for jeans lately. I've got a couple of vintage straight leg jeans in there which I love. I tend to dress very casual, but just sort of jazz it up a little with a nice top/tshirt or nice trainers. I am not big into dresses, but I would have a few longer ones which I would wear with a nice pair of white trainers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Twee. wrote: »
    +1 for the straight leg jeans! Penneys do a "Vintage Straight" that is a great shape. I was in & Other Stories the other day and they had some lovely looking jeans too, but I haven't tried them myself. They're actually a good shout for nice tees, shirts and blouses too.

Chino style trousers are a nice alternative to jeans as well.

If you've not been fitted for a bra in a while, I'd add that to the list. Clothes can fit so much better with the right bra!

I love the Penney's vintage straight jeans, I have 3 pairs in different colours and they are so comfortable! Good quality too.

I agree about Penneys, I got two pairs of skinnies there over a year ago, one black, one dark blue. I've worn them a lot and they're still going strong, and the colour has kept a lot better than my River Island ones. Only cost something like €13 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

It doesnt help that the option for changing rooms is gone from most clothes shops now. I understand clothes have to be 'quarantined' for a period before being resold, so why cant they just quarantine clothes that the customer didnt like on in the fitting room? It's great that in-store shopping is back but it's a major bug bear of mine now that you have to go back and forth with returns and exchanges. Any decent shop is a 30km drive from me. Wanted to try on a few pairs of jeans I saw in Penneys yesterday (Im in the market too for new jean styles after suffering through skinny jeans for years, the '2 lbs of mince in a 1lb bag' thighs are delighted skinnies are out.) But left it off as wasnt sure what size I would be.

It doesnt help that the option for changing rooms is gone from most clothes shops now. I understand clothes have to be 'quarantined' for a period before being resold, so why cant they just quarantine clothes that the customer didnt like on in the fitting room? It's great that in-store shopping is back but it's a major bug bear of mine now that you have to go back and forth with returns and exchanges. Any decent shop is a 30km drive from me. Wanted to try on a few pairs of jeans I saw in Penneys yesterday (Im in the market too for new jean styles after suffering through skinny jeans for years, the '2 lbs of mince in a 1lb bag' thighs are delighted skinnies are out.) But left it off as wasnt sure what size I would be.

Some shops are allowing clothes to be tried on, but I think it is only jeans (bottoms etc) and not tops. I know Vero Moda are allowing you to try on clothes in my local shop, but only keeping a couple of the cubicles open. I tried on trousers the week they reopened in there. I always need to try on trousers & jeans, as i can't judge the sizes. Tops I usually don't need to try on as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Some shops are allowing clothes to be tried on, but I think it is only jeans (bottoms etc) and not tops. I know Vero Moda are allowing you to try on clothes in my local shop, but only keeping a couple of the cubicles open. I tried on trousers the week they reopened in there. I always need to try on trousers & jeans, as i can't judge the sizes. Tops I usually don't need to try on as much.

At least that is something they are allowing to be tried on, hopefully they will open up cubicles fully in the near futute.

Yes I really need to try on certain items of clothing too, especially jeans. I only really order off clothing websites that have free returns/they have a shop near me where I can return items too.

I actually only found out that Oasis have free returns in Ireland (all duties & taxes are paid by Oasis also)! They currently have 20% off everything at the moment, so will definitely be keeping an eye on their clothes. They usually do a good sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP I think a lot of us here can relate to your opening post!

My suggestion would be to go through your wardrobe and take out anything that doesn't fit and won't fit anymore, anything that is too worn and past it's best by date. Don't be worrying if it's not "in fashion" once it's your style. This will then give you an idea as to what you might be missing or need to update in your wardrobe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    take out anything that doesn't fit and won't fit anymore.

This is definitely the hardest part :pac: Being straight up with yourself. But then you can buy something to replace it, I'm sure that's the rules :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Twee. wrote: »
    This is definitely the hardest part :pac: Being straight up with yourself. But then you can buy something to replace it, I'm sure that's the rules :D

Oh yes this is so difficult. But for me I was getting more upset picking things out of my wardrobe to wear and getting worked up because they don't fit. And I was just reverting to the leggings and hoodies because I knew they fitted me. At least now after a bit of a wardrobe update I know when I go pick out something to wear that it's fits me as I currently am.

• Advertisement
Advertisement