Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a Topper

• 31-05-2021 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

My neighbour is selling an old topper which seems to work ok. But it doesn't seem to have any way of connection to the top link ( I think that's the correct term) and is just fixed to the tractor at the two lift arms. Is this normal? Is something missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

There should be an A shaped frame that bolts onto the lift arm mounts and has a chain or sling connecting it to the rear of the topper like in the image in the link below:

https://www.fleming-agri.com/product-catalogue/heavy-duty-6ft-topper/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Gorteen wrote: »
    My neighbour is selling an old topper which seems to work ok. But it doesn't seem to have any way of connection to the top link ( I think that's the correct term) and is just fixed to the tractor at the two lift arms. Is this normal? Is something missing?

Does it go under the arms a bit?

Some toppers, there is a bit that comes in farther into the tractor, so when raised, this stops the topper falling backwards...

Hard to explain, see pic below, and note where the holes for the lift arms...

https://mccordmachinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/P1180167.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Does it go under the arms a bit?

Some toppers, there is a bit that comes in farther into the tractor, so when raised, this stops the topper falling backwards...

Hard to explain, see pic below, and note where the holes for the lift arms...

https://mccordmachinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/P1180167.jpg

That looks like the one he has. I'll have a closer look and try to get a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

If it was a router that had it I’d buy new.

Fils wrote: »

I don't understand what you mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Ashill5

Roughly what would a new topoer cost

I don’t know I don’t sell toppers. As my previous advice I’d buy new if precious owner was a rooter.

I don’t know I don’t sell toppers. As my previous advice I’d buy new if precious owner was a rooter.

What's a rooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A rooter is someone who is a bit rough with things. i.e. his machinery would not be in good condition or well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

https://images.app.goo.gl/xvGhiXZPH3Fay59C9

This is a common older type topper, complete and never intended to be used with a top link. Caught under the rear arms and works fine, lifting and in work.

• Advertisement

A rooter is someone who is a bit rough with things. i.e. his machinery would not be in good condition or well maintained.

There is no ‘a bit’ with a router. Typical rooter now is with the berlingo van and haven’t washed it in 10 years, side rear light broke, trailing socket hanging off it. The dash covered in old fag boxes, empty bottles of club orange and various farming paraphernalia.

This is the topper in question. I don’t see how there can be a connection for the top link. It seems in fairly good order, is kept indoors and works ok. The button on the top of the PTO shaft is stuck (probably from lack of use). Can anyone suggest a value for this topper?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

Nothing wrong or missing from that type. Should be easy enough to free up the button, soak it in penetrating oil or wd40. Couldn't value it. What's a new one this size costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

If its working well and no major rust i think 450 to 600 should be plenty for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I never saw that type of set up before but a quick google has one on the back end of the tractor and doesn’t use a top link.

The price is from a year ago and condition different but you can guage from there.

https://www.adverts.ie/18506507

A brand new topper is around €1250-€1500
    I paid €1250 for a 6’ Fleming semi offset with galvanise skids around 3/4 years ago.

Thanks to everyone for advice. It's now mine and I wondered what sort of maintenance is required on one of these toppers? Do I need to grease anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Gorteen wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for advice. It's now mine and I wondered what sort of maintenance is required on one of these toppers? Do I need to grease anything?

Grease the drive shaft and might be no harm to drain the gearbox and use gear oil when refilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Check the blades - might need sharpening or replacing.

Advertisement