Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing ammo as an individual?

• 09-06-2021 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi all I've got a 6.5x55 and everywhere I go I can't get decent target ammo and im after lapua target ammo and it's a serious pain in the arse.
    And it's not like 6.5x55 is an uncommon target round it's used a plenty on the continent for hitting steel and knocking caribou and even moose
    I have a limit of 1000 rounds on my licence but I'm looking for 200-600 rounds of lapua scenar or Sellier and Bellot 142gr hpbt
    Would it be possible to import by myself ? Or would I be better off getting my local dealer to import the ammo for me and does have anyone have experience trying to get ammo imported in those small of amounts ie 1-3 cases
    Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've imported from the North (Tannyoky) and the UK (HPS).

Its the exact same process as importing a firearm you just name ammo (and quantity) instead of make/model and serial number.

I imported 500 form the North and 1,000 from the UK. It wasn't factory ammo, but that is somewhat irrelevant.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

I got an import licence for a rifle fairly recently and it's a pretty straight forward and efficient service from the Dept. of Justice. Applied online one Friday, had the licence in my hand the following Friday. As Cass says, there's a section on the form for importing ammunition.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/eu_individuals_importing

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

Cass wrote: »
    .............I imported 500 form the North and 1,000 from the UK. It wasn't factory ammo, but that is somewhat irrelevant.

Is imported ammo subject to customs/taxes/vat etc.

Just asking as I don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Never imported ammo from the continent but if you do find somewhere that does it please share, and the logistics company used.

I've eyed a few oddball(by Irish standards) calibres over the years and would be more likely to take the plunge if I knew I wasn't going to get crucified on feeding it.

I will say the import process is pretty damn speedy, had mine back in 2 days once, and if it is as smooth for ammo as for firearms you should have it back within 2 weeks at most(my experience over several firearm imports from Germany & UK).

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

JP22 wrote: »

Just asking as I don't know.

If your importing from the North you shouldn't have to pay anything but if your ìmporting from the UK mainland you will .

• Advertisement

JP22 wrote: »
    Wasn't when I done it as the UK was still in the EU, but now I'd say yes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Would importing ammo from the north not be a lot easier if you got a european permit, and psni permit?

I only suggest, as if your round capacity is low, sending multiple application forms is probably not the way...

It is a bit easier in that you don't have the cost of shipping from abroad, plus most places have a "franchise" or agent in the North. As you said you can get the PSNI visitor's pass and travel up yourself to collect if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I live close to the border and buy all my ammo in the North, I have my firearms and ammo on an NI visitors pass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Out of interest, is there much of a price difference on ammo, if bought up North?

Aside from the foreign exchange cost, you've the £16 for the PSNI. Any other costs (ignoring fuel and the commute) ?

I've been to the Tannyoky shop a few times, found them very good, but never looked to buy ammo from them.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Even with the exchange rate they are cheaper, but if your not close to the border or heading to the North for some reason it wouldn't be an option for most people down south.
    I bought 500 SK rifle match today 54 sterling that's about 63 euro so a saving of 7 or 8 euros I guess,
    The savings are bigger in something like CenX could be as much as 20+ euros

Advertisement