Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outdoor dining summer 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fitz* wrote: »
    €100,000 was allocated to Galway City to facilitate outdoor dining. I wonder if we'll see a breakdown of where this went to, as a few bins can't rack up that much of a bill.

How much do you reckon it will cost to open and close the various streets each evening for three months? Plus pouring concrete plinths in Middle St, Woodquay, and Salthill outside Da Robertas. And the metal gates outside Supermacs in Cross St. And replacing plastic bins that are fecked into the canal or burned out.

How much do you reckon it will cost to open and close the various streets each evening for three months? Plus pouring concrete plinths in Middle St, Woodquay, and Salthill outside Da Robertas. And the metal gates outside Supermacs in Cross St. And replacing plastic bins that are fecked into the canal or burned out.

Probably in the region of €100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pulse1975

Galway Council should be so ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,260 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Probably in the region of €100,000

Peanuts when compared to the money outdoor dining will bring to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Was great to see so many people out and about yesterday and enjoying the dining & drinking options that were available. A real buzz around the place again.

Really liked the Woodquay area and the extra seating is great, while it's dry! I do think that some other places in town are not really maximizing the space they have available, a bit of a missed opportunity IMO. It's a shame that the Skeff were not able to have their larger planned area in an already pedestrianised area. But that's only just me nit-picking. Still shouldn't be forgotten that it's great to have businesses back open and staff back in employment.

Maybe we can get those people who are constantly urinating in public to wee on all those burning bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Woodquay has a totally different vibe now. Hopefully it will be made permanent, if enough people demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

zell12 wrote: »
    Woodquay closed to traffic outbound (from Eyre St) and turned into the one moving lane inbound with speed bumps, and St Anthonys Place has the plastic bollards
    Pubs have put out seating and canopies. The brutalist concrete barriers take away from the ambience
    Woodquay has a totally different vibe now. Hopefully it will be made permanent, if enough people demand it.

But but but there's brutalist concrete barriers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

But but but there's brutalist concrete barriers

Throw a coat of magnolia on them, be graaand!!! ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

Is it possible to find anywhere in BOARDS (or the internet....) an updated list of which restaurants / gastro-pubs etc. are open for outdoor dining (i.e. they have their own outdoor tables+chairs, not take-away) in Galway City? It would save having to trawl through individual web pages / FB pages of restaurants one by one........

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Is it possible to find anywhere in BOARDS (or the internet....) an updated list of which restaurants / gastro-pubs etc. are open for outdoor dining (i.e. they have their own outdoor tables+chairs, not take-away) in Galway City? It would save having to trawl through individual web pages / FB pages of restaurants one by one........

Great idea, myself and hubby heading down at the weekend and can't find much info on this at all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm also searching for places that are open to book in for my wife's birthday but every restaurant I check seems to be closed. Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

This seems kind of up-to-date, but I'm not sure if they've updated all places that now do outdoor dining:

https://www.openingalway.com/p/home.html?m=1

Surely the "Elephant in the kitchen" is the fact that the main center of Galway (Shop Street, High Street, Quay Street) which is already pedestrianized has not gone further and been at least partly covered over for large scale outdoor dining? There's many restaurants here with 5 or 7 tables outdoors, but 20 or 30 indoors, they could be viable if they had 20 or 30 outdoors?

Couple of elephants:

The available footpath left between two restaurants in Quay Street is now ridiculously small. Maybe two metres wide, if that. Only way to get more tables is to cover space in front of other premises. So who gets what, and who decides.

Apart from Middle Street, most outdoor "dining" is actually outdoor drinking. 100% drinking in Raven's Tce and the Small Crane. Seated only, my a$$.

Couple of elephants:

The available footpath left between two restaurants in Quay Street is now ridiculously small. Maybe two metres wide, if that. Only way to get more tables is to cover space in front of other premises. So who gets what, and who decides.

Apart from Middle Street, most outdoor "dining" is actually outdoor drinking. 100% drinking in Raven's Tce and the Small Crane. Seated only, my a$$.

True - but further up, McCambridges, Garavans, Griffins, Taaffes, Kings Head, Tigh Coili, Ciarlantini, one-or-two-other-cafes-whose-names-escape-me could all have far more outdoor seats without blocking the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Couple of elephants:

I thought they got rid of the food requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Couple of elephants:

Oh FFS :rolleyes: - you were crossing your fingers that you'd be able to complain about the drinking!

Have seen plenty of people eating at Ravens terrace over the past few days, it looks to be great craic and I cannot wait to be sitting there with a Pizza and a Pint.

Try enjoy the good weather over the weekend. :D

xckjoo wrote: »
    I thought they got rid of the food requirement?

They did. But they didn't get rid of seated table service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They did. But they didn't get rid of seated table service.

Passed several pubs yesterday with outdoor seating and full tables and lots of people standing drinking pints

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah the pubs probably won't turn people away even if they don't sit down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

biko wrote: »
    Yeah the pubs probably won't turn people away even if they don't sit down.

I don’t know about that. Was in Taylor’s earlier in the week as a group of 7, had to book two tables and they were pretty quick to come over and tell us to use both tables when we inevitably tried to get all the group into the conversation.

A similar fate happened another group of 7 in there at the time, they had to split into two tables also. It’s a bit of pain really, but I suppose rules are rules, and at least they are being enforced for now.

It was great getting a few proper beers, but really not the same craic as in the pub before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

True - but further up, McCambridges, Garavans, Griffins, Taaffes, Kings Head, Tigh Coili, Ciarlantini, one-or-two-other-cafes-whose-names-escape-me could all have far more outdoor seats without blocking the road.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. There are some businesses that could potentially have larger outdoor seating areas without blocking up too much space. But they are not being used. Outside the Skeff for example to add to yours. There seems to be a lot of half-spaces used more than the full space which kind of just clutters up more space rather than using it smartly. I think Cross Street is done really poorly and actually ended up being a poor reflection on Front Door/Buskers/etc.

Now I have heard that some businesses are actually using a smaller seating space as they actually prefer to do takeaway pints. For some businesses, there's a lot more money to made on takeaway pints per hour compared to 4 people sitting down for a meal for the same amount of space used.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Me and mates were in Salthill yesterday and we got served even when tables were full, standing the whole time. Others were standing too.
    This was after-work beers so kinda early.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Haven't been into Galway City recently, but want to book a table for next Saturday night for a bite to eat and pints. Any recommendations for places that are taking bookings, and a have a decent covering in case of crap weather? First place I thought of was O'Connell's, but I can't see any info on their social media or website (which seems to be down) to suggest they are back open.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

RonnieL wrote: »
    Haven't been into Galway City recently, but want to book a table for next Saturday night for a bite to eat and pints. Any recommendations for places that are taking bookings, and a have a decent covering in case of crap weather? First place I thought of was O'Connell's, but I can't see any info on their social media or website (which seems to be down) to suggest they are back open.

Walked past it yesterday and it didn’t seem to be open. Was surprised considering how large their beer garden is.

Walked past it yesterday and it didn’t seem to be open. Was surprised considering how large their beer garden is.

Ya, rumours about that they've some building work that needs doing. No idea how true - but they ain't open.

If I wanted to book a place with good shelter, I'd go for Pucan, Rabbits, Taylors, Roisin Dubh or Neachtains. The rest are more flimsy or small.

Was in Salthill today, didn't see much special provision for outdoor dining apart from one (empty) concrete slab outside Supermacs.

Am I missing something or were plans scrapped? Assumed on-street parking would be removed and people spaced out. Seemed to be just people in small pens between pubs/takeaways and the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,326 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Was in Salthill today, didn't see much special provision for outdoor dining apart from one (empty) concrete slab outside Supermacs.
    There is a second one further on outside Mocha Beans with tables and chairs.

There is a second one further on outside Mocha Beans with tables and chairs.

And a far bigger one outside Da Robertas, which looks to be permanent.

• Advertisement

Urban design handled with the delicacy of a ring road project.

https://twitter.com/mistereatgalway/status/1405422415153405952?s=19

Advertisement