Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic opinions?

• 10-06-2021 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Seeing a lot of people championing the Honda Civic. I'm on the look out for a used car (2015 upwards) and not sure what to get but like the look of the Civic.

I'm coming from a Nissan Pixo so anything will be an upgrade.

Don't do massive driving but would like a more comfortable car that's reliable for longer journeys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

Seeing a lot of people championing the Honda Civic. I'm on the look out for a used car (2015 upwards) and not sure what to get but like the look of the Civic.

Don't do massive driving but would like a more comfortable car that's reliable for longer journeys.

A lot of the civics around that age will be 1.6 diesels. I had one (estate) and they are a great car and maybe the most economic to run in terms of fuel consumption i ever had. Frequently got close to 4 litres to 100 km on the car.

If you are not doing a lot of driving the inevitable petrol versus diesel debate will come up. With the civic i never had any issues although i was probably doing a 70km round trip daily with cross country trips now and again.

I think you might find it hard to find a petrol car that age secondhand as we were still in the diesel hay day

A petrol civic would be a bit more thirsty but generally honda are quite good reliability wise. We have a petrol jazz thats 13 years old and i think my wife wants someone to steal it at this stage. It just keeps going if you look after it

You might do well to look in Northern Ireland for Civic - they are generally more popular in the UK so you might see more options there.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I’ve a 141 petrol Civic since 2015, like you don’t do big mileage, approximately 9,000km annually, 63,000 on the clock, only see myself buying one, maybe two more cars in my lifetime & would certainly strongly consider another civic, I’ve had zero issues, service it once a year, it’s chain driven so no timing belt to be done, they have a reputation for reliability, I find it comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

I went and looked at 2014 civic estates and test drove 2 high spec ones they were absolutely flawless and I think they look great although not everyone agrees on that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

Zylias wrote: »
    I went and looked at 2014 civic estates and test drove 2 high spec ones they were absolutely flawless and I think they look great although not everyone agrees on that

I think they changes the suspension in the civic around 2016 so if you can find a 161 or 152 might be better buy... i found the Tourer we had great. So practical in terms of storage etc. Honda's generally drive a little lighter so i found the 120 bhp lots of power for it from the 1.6 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Thanks folks. Im coming from a 1.0l Pixo with 60bhp so any difference will be big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another option would be to be something for half your budget. Your requirements are basic enough.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Another option would be to be something for half your budget. Your requirements are basic enough.

How do ya mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As in, instead of spending, say, €10k, spend €5k on a low mileage older car. Given that you don’t seem to be doing a lot of driving and the main requirement is being better than a Pixo, then do you need to be tying up that much money in it? Realistically a 151 isn’t going to be massively more dependable than an 09 for example. They’re both reasonably old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

There's one on done deal I'll link later it's a 2014 black civic estate top spec and it's gorgeous. Think it could be €12k or so but it's a private seller so room to move on that. Give it a look.

colm_mcm wrote:
    As in, instead of spending, say, €10k, spend €5k on a low mileage older car. Given that you don’t seem to be doing a lot of driving and the main requirement is being better than a Pixo, then do you need to be tying up that much money in it? Realistically a 151 isn’t going to be massively more dependable than an 09 for example. They’re both reasonably old now.

I get ya. Would you have any tips on what to look for?

I really only want one that's strong, reliable and just a nice change from the Pixo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement