Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on two cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The dealer one is by far the better of the two, although it is a low spec example in terms of accessories. It's a better colour, better spec, probably has a better history and definitely has a better warranty which would be a must have for me with a DSG car.

Que someone saying €14k for a 6 year old Golf is crazy and to buy some oddball yoke like a Peugeot 308 or something.

That's what they make/thread.

I wouldn't touch that Wexford one with a barge pole, Calcutta spec, the wheels are aftermarket, i'd say John Joes house is a tein axle Elddis too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

First one is the older model, the 2nd is being sold by a part time dealer as he has 4 other cars for sale.

There has to be much better out there considering the price range you have gone with. As regards warranty, you will be pretty much looking at gearbox and engine on cars once they are 6 years or so old so much of a muchness in only considering dealer warranty. I would if it was me only buy privately if it was a person selling their own car, tends to be less risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

……. has a better warranty which would be a must have for me with a DSG car.

Que someone saying €14k for a 6 year old Golf is crazy and to buy some oddball yoke like a Peugeot 308 or something.

€14k for a 6 year old potential money pit once out of warranty with a touchscreen the size of a custard cream is crazy.

emulsifier wrote: »
    I don't see the car having any issues costing over 1500€ anyway

C7-EA4-E11-2537-489-C-A511-901980-B527-ED.jpg

I would expect the dealer one to come with a Das Welt warranty. I doesn't specifically say it but they are good value warranties for the dealer to buy and cover most of the big hitter issues on those Golfs.

Sure OP is going to spend €14k on something and anything could be a money pit. Worst of that car is it's only a Comfortline which isn't great really if you are spec conscious.

You'd want to be off your trolley to buy that other one private, even at 3k cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Awful value for money tbh. Shop around and keep an open mind on makes/models. Often individual car history and condition is far more important than alleged reputations at this level.

For that price range I'd be looking at a 2014 A3 or 2015 V40 R Design. You'd even get a top spec Focus for that kind of money.

Personally don't see the attraction to old low spec Golf's

For that price range I'd be looking at a 2014 A3 or 2015 V40 R Design. You'd even get a top spec Focus for that kind of money.

Personally don't see the attraction to old low spec Golf's

I think it's the wide availability of the auto box vs. it's rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Both cars should have had the DSG gearbox serviced twice now, [40k miles/60k KMs interval] if that's not documented walk away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
    To add a little more context,I suppose the reason for picking the golfs is I currently driving a polo and its been pretty reliable ...and that's about as much reasoning I have.
    Only other thing to add is I have to stick with an automatic and want to stay within 15k budget.
    I haven't really veered too far away at looking at other makes/models.

Is this BMW overpriced?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320-d/28205002

*I should add,I'm close to carrick,hence adding the above bmw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 iBaxter

This one may be of interest to u. Superb DSG. Might be worth a look.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-skoda-superb-ambition/28342912

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

€14k would put you in a much more younger version of the Golfs attractive cousin, a Seat Leon, preferably in FR guise.

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=Seat%20leon%20dsg&price_from=11500&price_to=14000

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.
    To add a little more context,I suppose the reason for picking the golfs is I currently driving a polo and its been pretty reliable ...and that's about as much reasoning I have.
    Only other thing to add is I have to stick with an automatic and want to stay within 15k budget.
    I haven't really veered too far away at looking at other makes/models.

Is this BMW overpriced?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320-d/28205002

*I should add,I'm close to carrick,hence adding the above bmw

Poorly presented ad- if you’re looking for €14.5 k in a private sale you’d want to make a lot more effort with the pics and history, details of the car

€14k would put you in a much more younger version of the Golfs attractive cousin, a Seat Leon, preferably in FR guise.

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=Seat%20leon%20dsg&price_from=11500&price_to=14000

Something along these lines?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-leon-2016-low-miles-amp-aut0-boxnew-nct/26201155

iBaxter wrote: »
    This one may be of interest to u. Superb DSG. Might be worth a look.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-skoda-superb-ambition/28342912

You selling that? It’s your second time posting it!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You selling that? It’s your second time posting it!

Gosh you are sharp. No im not selling it, just lending some assistance to this guy, but if i was in the market for a car right now this Skoda would be worth checking out iMO.

It’s certainly good value for money, and quite low mileage.
    It is a basic spec though but still a nice car.

It’s certainly good value for money, and quite low mileage.
    It is a basic spec though but still a nice car.

True, i didnt look at the spec in detail, photos arent great, but on the face of it, low mileage, one owner, decent price, probably worth a second look for anyone looking for something in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

iBaxter wrote: »
    True, i didnt look at the spec in detail, photos arent great, but on the face of it, low mileage, one owner, decent price, probably worth a second look for anyone looking for something in that price range.

I wonder which rental car company rented that out?

Base spec with no dealer stickers or number plate surrounds......screams rental car !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Base spec with no dealer stickers or number plate surrounds......screams rental car !

I know somebody looking for something similar, I've sent them in the link,they think it's priced low for the year and mileage,what are the potential too good to be true pitfalls here?
    If it was a rental it didn't put up much mileage and would have been serviced on time etc?
    Not sure if I believe the guy saying the car has to be sold because it's too big for his house,he has 31 lifetime ads but they could have been for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's some conclusion you jumped to there. It's a UK import so may have been imported privately hence no dealer stickers or number plate surrounds. It's also 5 years old so number plates could simply have been replaced in that time, doesn't make it a rental.

“Front assist not available” warning might be of concern.

Any thoughts on this volvo?
    I think an earlier poster recommend a v40
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v40-1-6d-se-gt-automatic/28029830

That’s the D2 version of the 2.0 engine so only 120bhp.

I think there are 150/180 and 190 versions of the same engine. I’d rather one of those. Preferably in R Design spec.

It’s still nicer than a basic Golf.

I think there are 150/180 and 190 versions of the same engine. I’d rather one of those. Preferably in R Design spec.

I'd edging more towards a hatchback/smaller car, just as its what I'm used to.
    I might inquire about the above car so.

I'd edging more towards a hatchback/smaller car, just as its what I'm used to.
    I might inquire about the above car so.

I like them. In fact I went to buy one 2 years ago.
    Found them very small inside, which was a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hi All,

Sorry for another car advice thread.
    Basically I have my eye on two cars.
    https://www.mullingarautos.ie/used-cars/12939281-volkswagen-golf-cl-1.6-tdi-d7-f-110-hp-5-dr/
    and
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-volkswagen-golf-1-6tdi-auto-dsg/27352189

To me they seem pretty similar but unfortunately I don't know a thing about cars.
    So I'm edging towards the first one as at least its from a dealership and have some comeback if there's an issue with the car I think.

Or am I completely mad?
    Thanks in advance

Having driven a "Match" edition which is comfortline line style spec with the toys included, I'd go for a highline if possible OP if you have your heart set on the VW. As always, look for timing belt change etc. Can't comment on Automatic as I had a manual.

Price of golfs has gone a bit mad recently, I bought a 152 2 years ago for just under 13k and dealer I've traded it into 2 years later is now looking for 2k more sticker price than I bought it for (albeit doing a service and new belt etc).

The golf is a solid if expensive pick - you might get an Audi A3 for similar money which is a step up in build quality in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any thoughts on this volvo?
    I think an earlier poster recommend a v40
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v40-1-6d-se-gt-automatic/28029830

That particular V40 has the 1.6d engine rather than 2.0d according to the reg.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    That particular V40 has the 1.6d engine rather than 2.0d according to the reg.

Reg says 1969cc

Advertisement