Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English cricketer suspended over tweets written as teenager

• 09-06-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭

What did Ollie Robinson say? England cricketer suspended over tweets – but Oliver Dowden hits out at ECB ban
    The Culture Secretary suggested it was ‘over the top’ for England to ban the seamer for tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/ollie-robinson-what-say-tweets-england-cricketer-suspended-racist-sexist-twitter-oliver-dowden-ecb-1038468

I think this is an interesting topic which could be relevant to many in society given how many post on social media particularly if they use there real name. Not such a problem on Boards unless someone is doxxed (I have no idea whether this has happened or not).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭iptba

Oops. Could a mod adjust end of title to “Culture Sec. not happy” please.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Kinda funny, wish I was friends with a Muslim so I could say that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jesus Christ can we just ban Twitter, will this all go away then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I caught the back end if this story today without knowing what the tweets were and, got to admit, I was expecting an awful lot worse than what I read in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I hear worse from 8 and 9 year olds in work ,

Offended is really getting to a low bar of what's consider actually offensive these days

• Advertisement

Seems tame... We really are building an extremely sensitive culture. God help all of us when this extends (which it will) to conversations that others (not involved) are listening to but are offended by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That type of craic goes around social circles more often than some may realise. In fact I’d say it’s the norm, just this fellow tweeted it
    Gatling wrote: »
    Offended is really getting to a low bar of what's consider actually offensive these days

Tbh I sometimes have to turn my phone off with the amount that gets relayed back from my brother with all the people he knows! A bit of quality control wouldn’t go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Offence archeology is the worst. It's a concerted effort to find shady things in the past of prominent people. I think that's what gets me. I imagine people entering various offensive terms into the twitter search page and searching a long list of twitter profiles until they strike gold.

The worst I've seen recently was Ellie Kemper being called a "KKK princess" because of a debutante ball she was crowned the queen of when she was 19. It was never a secret that she took part in this event. It's been on her Wikipedia page for a long time but suddenly it was a problem. She apparently should have known better than to take part in the ball because the organisation used to segregate the ball, long before she took part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

The problem is that people and organisations give in to this ****e, once the dam breaks and more and more famous people and companies ignore it and or essentially tell em get ****ed will it change

Do you remember when social media first started and basically anytime someone kicked up on a companies Facebook or Twitter the company would fawn all over them to avoid bad PR? Then next thing every chancer was making big public complaints over trivial ****e to get freebies and now companies have stopped giving in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Offence archeology is the worst. It's a concerted effort to find shady things in the past of prominent people. I think that's what gets me. I imagine people entering various offensive terms into the twitter search page and searching a long list of twitter profiles until they strike gold.

The worst I've seen recently was Ellie Kemper being called a "KKK princess" because of a debutante ball she was crowned the queen of when she was 19. It was never a secret that she took part in this event. It's been on her Wikipedia page for a long time but suddenly it was a problem. She apparently should have known better than to take part in the ball because the organisation used to segregate the ball, long before she took part in it.

The worst thing about all of this, is that the people who lead these hunts against others, are incredibly sad individuals, with little going on in their lives. They are usually not mentally well, and often deeply insecure and spiteful. The types of people who get a great kick of out taking anyone down, purely to satisfy themselves. These people should be the last people in society with power, yet they have much of it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

The problem is that people and organisations give in to this ****e, once the dam breaks and more and more famous people and companies ignore it and or essentially tell em get ****ed will it change

Do you remember when social media first started and basically anytime someone kicked up on a companies Facebook or Twitter the company would fawn all over them to avoid bad PR? Then next thing every chancer was making big public complaints over trivial ****e to get freebies and now companies have stopped giving in

It's a bit like liability standards. When the standards are high, the chancers don't even try and abuse them system as they know it's pointless, yet when the standards are low, they are trying left, right and centre to sue people for a few quid.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭joeguevara

His brother Tommy says it’s typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can you imagine the sad and pointless life of whatever pathetic rat bastard that informed on him?

Can you imagine the sad and pointless life of whatever pathetic rat bastard that informed on him?

That's what gets me. I'm not defending his tweets. But I just can't get over the image of people's twitter accounts being dredged for anything scandalous. It's really sad. There was a time when telling on people wasn't respected. Now, running to teacher is apparently fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

These are people who have never worked hard to achieve anything, who create nothing, angry with the hand they were dealt, taking time out if their busy **** schedule to go through old tweets

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Who cares. It's more fuel on the dumpster fire of culture war that the Tories are actually cultivating. Frankly wouldn't be what so ever surprised if it was the Tory party themselves that found the tweets. And people like the usual suspects on here get sucked into it.

The UK have long long list of form in this respect. Always manipulating constant ongoing daily .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Why don't they go after Bojo himself? He has said a lot worse down through the years. However as a Leeds fan, I disapprove of the Gary Speed tweet.
    "All the Young people I know, those under 20 -are just as avaricious as we flinty Thatcherite yuppies of the 1980's in fact, they have an almost Nigerian interest in money and gadgets of all kinds" -Bojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

I don't feel sorry for him and the blow back he's getting. It's one thing saying these things, but writing them down and posting it online is idiocy of the highest order. And of obviously offensive.

That said I'm not really into this whole cancel culture generally. Being an asshole online shouldn't be a career killer for him.

listermint wrote: »
    Who cares. It's more fuel on the dumpster fire of culture war that the Tories are actually cultivating. Frankly wouldn't be what so ever surprised if it was the Tory party themselves that found the tweets. And people like the usual suspects on here get sucked into it.

The UK have long long list of form in this respect. Always manipulating constant ongoing daily .

You're here, commenting. You're getting as sucked in as anyone else. You can't claim lofty detachment, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You're here, commenting. You're getting as sucked in as anyone else. You can't claim lofty detachment, I'm afraid.

Making one comment does not constitute getting sucked in. #bore. Raging about some people not working and masturbating over the internet to find old tweets is getting sucked on.

Culture war tastic nom nom. Feed me more stuff to enrage me further nom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Lots of stupidity to go around. There's the cricketer, for being a twit on social media. Then there's his management or whoever handles the non-cricket parts of his career - they should have got him to delete his public teenage ramblings as a matter of routine. Finally there's the ECB who could just as easily have said "This kid tweeted some stupid shít years ago and that he now deeply regrets. Here's a nice picture of him with a puppy".

There's a part of me that despises this modern narcissistic tendency in people who want the whole world to see and hear their stupid shít and maybe stories like this might get people to cop on a bit but at the same time I do feel that the punishment is a bit OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I saw it suggested somewhere yesterday (it may have been The Times) that it was a BBC jobsworth 'researcher' who ratted on him.

And another English cricker has been discovered to have tweeted something naughty at the tender age of 15. No name has come out yet.

Acosta wrote: »
    I don't feel sorry for him and the blow back he's getting. It's one thing saying these things, but writing them down and posting it online is idiocy of the highest order. And of obviously offensive.

That said I'm not really into this whole cancel culture generally. Being an asshole online shouldn't be a career killer for him.

The re-tweets of his that I've seen weren't particularly offensive. Immature and stupid. Nothing like the Paddy Jackson and friends filth.

The re-tweets of his that I've seen weren't particularly offensive. Immature and stupid. Nothing like the Paddy Jackson and friends filth.

I was of the same opinion, thought it was a storm in a teacup, but one of the big ones, which hasn't been included in the article above, is:

"I wonder if Asian people write emojis like this ¦-) "

Completely unacceptable, no matter how old he is/was.

$hifty wrote: »
    I was of the same opinion, thought it was a storm in a teacup, but one of the big ones, which hasn't been included in the article above, is:

"I wonder if Asian people write emojis like this ¦-) "

Completely unacceptable, no matter how old he is/was.

It's really shows that we live in great comfort, when we find such outrage in relatively small things. I remember coming across a Reddit post, about "deeply offensive" terms towards the Irish. I honestly laughed at the majority of them, and would take little offense if any of them were said around me.

If you think making "slanty eyes" jokes about Asian people is a relatively small thing, you're part of the problem.

listermint wrote: »
    Making one comment does not constitute getting sucked in. #bore. Raging about some people not working and masturbating over the internet to find old tweets is getting sucked on.

Culture war tastic nom nom. Feed me more stuff to enrage me further nom

Sure sure. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I saw it suggested somewhere yesterday (it may have been The Times) that it was a BBC jobsworth 'researcher' who ratted on him.

And another English cricker has been discovered to have tweeted something naughty at the tender age of 15. No name has come out yet.

They are circling around Eoin Morgan now.
    Who would have guessed, being Irish and all that.
    He appended "Sir" to a few tweets from 5 years ago, and it is apparently racist to use "Sir" in a tweet as of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What did Jackson say?

• Advertisement

They are circling around Eoin Morgan now.
    Who would have guessed, being Irish and all that.
    He appended "Sir" to a few tweets from 5 years ago, and it is apparently racist to use "Sir" in a tweet as of 2021.

It was gently mocking the courteousness of the Indians.

Similar to using "shure and begorrah" when recounting an Oirish joke.

Advertisement