Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunburn on cattle

Options
  • 05-06-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭

Folks I have a second calving dry cow with a few cuts in her nose due to photo sensitivity. Bought her a maiden heifer and she’d had it that year, no bother last year but cuts on her nose now. I put her in and they’re well healed. What would you put on her and would she do back out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Folks I have a second calving dry cow with a few cuts in her nose due to photo sensitivity. Bought her a maiden heifer and she’d had it that year, no bother last year but cuts on her nose now. I put her in and they’re well healed. What would you put on her and would she do back out?

If they well healed then go back out, just keep an eye on her in future again for a relapse.
    Maybe a mineral injection or drench before heading out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I had a CHx cow and for the last few years she was in a awful way with cut tits. In September 2019 when I noticed it her really bad but she was in calf so I said I would let her calf in 2020 and once the calf was reared she could go as I felt sorry looking at her with the cuts & the flys. In August 2020 a auld neighbor seen her & I told him the story of her. He told me to give her a shot of Vit B. Which I did, think it was something like 30mil but the cuts cleared up in a few weeks & there wasn't a bother on he.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I had a CHx cow and for the last few years she was in a awful way with cut tits. In September 2019 when I noticed it her really bad but she was in calf so I said I would let her calf in 2020 and once the calf was reared she could go as I felt sorry looking at her with the cuts & the flys. In August 2020 a auld neighbor seen her & I told him the story of her. He told me to give her a shot of Vit B. Which I did, think it was something like 30mil but the cuts cleared up in a few weeks & there wasn't a bother on he.

Can you tell me which Vit B you used as there is different types of Vit B.
    (There is Vit B1, B2, B3, B6 B7 & B12 - at least to human use.)
    Then there is Vitamin B complex that contains the different Vitamin B's.
    I am interested as I have had the same problem with one of my cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Can you tell me which Vit B you used as there is different types of Vit B.
    (There is Vit B1, B2, B3, B6 B7 & B12 - at least to human use.)
    Then there is Vitamin B complex that contains the different Vitamin B's.
    I am interested as I have had the same problem with one of my cows.
    It was Vitamin B1 I used.
    It is about €30 for a 50mil bottle and I think I gave the cow something like 40mil. Now she was an 800Kg cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

My father let that wee heifer out one morning I was at school her nose had cleared up and she’s looking happy. I notice her round the drinker a lot I think it’s stinging still but she’s in a field beside the crush so next time we’re taking them in I’ll throw a shot in her

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

She might need to come again for a bit longer, just bear that in mind.

Is there a shady grove, old orchard or haggard she could be left in?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Here's an interesting one for you. Is the attached Laurel?
    Neighbour here had a cow that got bad photosensitization last year. This year I noticed it starting again. She got a mild case with the first bit of fine sunny weather we got last month. Thing is, she got it in a field he was strip grazing and the last bit he grazed had this hedge. A coincidence, or is there something in it ?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Here's an interesting one for you. Is the attached Laurel?
    Neighbour here had a cow that got bad photosensitization last year. This year I noticed it starting again. She got a mild case with the first bit of fine sunny weather we got last month. Thing is, she got it in a field he was strip grazing and the last bit he grazed had this hedge. A coincidence, or is there something in it ?

I think your photos are of evergreen Griselinia hedging, cattle love it. Definitely worth checking out whether it is a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

greysides wrote: »
    She might need to come again for a bit longer, just bear that in mind.

Is there a shady grove, old orchard or haggard she could be left in?

That’s good thinking I’m gonna keep her about home for a while anyhow. She has hedges both sides that offer some shade. I’ll keep a good eye on her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Has there ever been research in this country to say there's multiple causes of sunburn in cattle in this country?
    I know it's liver impairment via damage.

Just reading an account from a farmer in nz atm where they give their experiences of facial eczema and how it was caused by a fungus in the pasture.
    They found out themselves before it became farmer knowledge that spreading lime curtailed to eliminating the problem.
    A certain variety species of grass in certain paddocks really showed up the problem for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Has there ever been research in this country to say there's multiple causes of sunburn in cattle in this country?
    I know it's liver impairment via damage.

Just reading an account from a farmer in nz atm where they give their experiences of facial eczema and how it was caused by a fungus in the pasture.
    They found out themselves before it became farmer knowledge that spreading lime curtailed to eliminating the problem.
    A certain variety species of grass in certain paddocks really showed up the problem for them.
    I used to add buckwheat seed along with phacelia to our WBC to aid pollinating insects and bees. I found out after that buckwheat can trigger photosensitisation in livestock so I have stopped buying it.

Advertisement