Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Thanks :) Sounds right (vaguely recall taking my own home many moons ago!).

Assuming this means that students cant take them if they stay until the end of the exam only and not if they leave early , since the guide states not to divulge info about the exam before it's over (?!).

Yes students are definitely not allowed to take the question papers with them if they leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Hontou wrote: »
    I have engineering papers too but no one on centre roll or advice slip for engineering. Only 8 in my centre and I asked the 5 in today were they doing engineering tomorrow - all said no. A few others seem to have engineering papers in the school too with no names down for it. No external candidates expected by the school. Must be a mistake or they put in the papers because projects submitted?

Yeah it sounds like a mistake that could’ve been made by someone organising the boxes. An odd one. If there’s no one on your centre roll for engineering and none of them actually taking the subject and just opted for an AG, then there’s nothing to worry about. No one can show up expecting to take an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

After the English paper today, there was some confusion in my school about what to do with the used question papers, once the exam was over.

The guide states that surplus question papers should be returned in the stationery box with the original envelope (i.e. the envelope signed by the witness when opened).

However, I'm not sure what the rule is with the question papers that were actually used. Can anyone confirm? Do they just get left in the school?

In my school, all surplus papers are left in the staff room after the exam has finished. Don’t think it’s gonna make any difference either way once the end of the exam has passed. Sure the morning papers are posted online at around 11.30am every day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tiredteach

Was told today by exam aide in the school that the post office closest closes for a half day on a Thursday. Wtf????

Now it doesn’t affect me as it happens. But this is not a country village

I’m not surprised, the post offices are going through a bad patch. If it happens, you can save it to your nearest post office on the way home or if there’s a DSU still open they’ll take the envelope too. They are generally very helpful in the DSU’s. Otherwise lock it back in the exam paper box until next posting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I won't make the Post Office tomorrow. It will be tight, but I hope I will be able to make it before it closes early on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Tiredteach wrote: »
    I’m not surprised, the post offices are going through a bad patch. If it happens, you can save it to your nearest post office on the way home or if there’s a DSU still open they’ll take the envelope too. They are generally very helpful in the DSU’s. Otherwise lock it back in the exam paper box until next posting.

I'm in an LCA centre so my exams are relatively short so I should get there before lunch tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Warbeastrior

DubLad69 wrote:
    I would imagine it's because SNAs are in work during June, so they are already being paid by the department.

The thing is though, teachers are contracted to the end of June as well but are paid the higher amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭DubLad69

The thing is though, teachers are contracted to the end of June as well but are paid the higher amount.

They are contracted to Mid-June, but in reality, in every school, they are long gone by the time the exams start.

Where as in reality, the vast majority of SNA's in the vast majority of schools are still in the school building. In addition, working as a special center superintendent, reader, scribe etc would be much more aligned with an SNA's normal duties than those of a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

spurious wrote: »
    I won't make the Post Office tomorrow. It will be tight, but I hope I will be able to make it before it closes early on Friday.

You can go to another post office and claim mileage. One year I had a LC centre with a clash. I drove to the post office in Tallaght as it stayed open till 7.30!! Not sure if it still does?

I never usually go to the one beside schools at the end of the day as they tend to be so busy!! It just delays me with traffic etc.

Also to get rid of the boxes at the end I always drive to Churchtown because it’s handy to get and out of and they are super nice. I have had awful trouble in the past getting rid of those boxes!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I rang An Post and asked. All the normal post offices shut at 5.30, but once I have the pre-printed labels, he said they will take them in the DSUs.
    I know I could easily get to the local DSU and they will tell me otherwise, but at least it's open til 7.

• Advertisement

DubLad69 wrote:
    They are contracted to Mid-June, but in reality, in every school, they are long gone by the time the exams start.

Where as in reality, the vast majority of SNA's in the vast majority of schools are still in the school building. In addition, working as a special center superintendent, reader, scribe etc would be much more aligned with an SNA's normal duties than those of a teacher.

So why are teachers let away? Why are SNAs not let away when teachers are?

It adds to the massive disrespect that SNA's receive.

Nobody will make the post office where I am today. They will put the papers in the box here overnight then send tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 finicio

So why are teachers let away? Why are SNAs not let away when teachers are?

It adds to the massive disrespect that SNA's receive.

SNAs in our school finish at the same time as teachers. Why have you a bee in your bonnet.

What disrespect are you referring to? Certainly not disrespected by teachers, they have an important role to play in schools.

finicio wrote: »
    SNAs in our school finish at the same time as teachers. Why have you a bee in your bonnet.

What disrespect are you referring to? Certainly not disrespected by teachers, they have an important role to play in schools.

I questioned the different rate of pay myself when I seen it tbh.I believe they should be paid the same as teachers for reader/scribe, etc. They play an extremely valuable role in schools but saying that, those who are here until the end of June are at sweet f*ck all.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I questioned the different rate of pay myself when I seen it tbh.I believe they should be paid the same as teachers for reader/scribe, etc. They play an extremely valuable role in schools but saying that, those who are here until the end of June are at sweet f*ck all.

I agree, of course they should be paid the same.

And some principals keeping them in school in June is ridiculous whether they are at sweet f*ck all or not.

I've heard stories of SNAs being asked to clean lockers or organise books for book scheme. They should down right refuse to do that. Surely not in job description.

finicio wrote: »
    I agree, of course they should be paid the same.

And some principals keeping them in school in June is ridiculous whether they are at sweet f*ck all or not.

I've heard stories of SNAs being asked to clean lockers or organise books for book scheme. They should down right refuse to do that. Surely not in job description.

That’s common enough in our place. They could be doing anything in here in June. Often times they’re doing nothing though. Pretty pointless.

finicio wrote:
    If you see the Forsa Facebook page, your school is very much an exception cos no SNAs that ive seen finish the same time as the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

For those of us collecting a new box of exam scripts on Sunday, do we take the empty exam paper box with us after tomorrow's last exam? If so, to where do we bring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

gaiscioch wrote: »
    For those of us collecting a new box of exam scripts on Sunday, do we take the empty exam paper box with us after tomorrow's last exam? If so, to where do we bring it?

There’s a list of post offices, postal distribution centres in the booklet where they can be dropped off.

Leftwaffe wrote:
    Nobody will make the post office where I am today. They will put the papers in the box here overnight then send tomorrow.

Its going to be tight enough tomorrow evening too. Friday traffic and my local post office shuts early. I might end up giving them to the DSU with the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Hontou

gaiscioch wrote: »

You take it home empty on Friday then take it to the centre where you picked up your papers on Tuesday and get it refilled for next week. Your slot time for Sunday is on your appointment letter that you showed to pick up this week's papers. Don't forget your lock and key.

Hontou wrote: »
    You take it home empty on Friday then take it to the centre where you picked up your papers on Tuesday and get it refilled for next week. Your slot time for Sunday is on your appointment letter that you showed to pick up this week's papers. Don't forget your lock and key.

Thank you for clarifying that.
    I completely misread the instructions. I thought I had to bring it to the DSU and collect a new one on Sunday.
    Looking at some earlier posts, it seems I am not alone.

**edit
    I need to check.

**and as if by magic...
    Use the same box for the duration.
    Have it empty and open in your boot on Sunday and you keep the key.

Spare or unused exams to be left in stationery box.

I've deleted some needlessly inflammatory posts and responses about SNAs.
    I think most of us would agree equal pay for equal work and support SNAs in their calls to be paid the same if they are superintending. It is blatantly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've deleted some needlessly inflammatory posts and responses about SNAs.
    I think most of us would agree equal pay for equal work and support SNAs in their calls to be paid the same if they are superintending. It is blatantly unfair.

I dont understand why an SNA would get paid less for superintending, it makes zero sense!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Millem wrote: »
    You can go to another post office and claim mileage. One year I had a LC centre with a clash. I drove to the post office in Tallaght as it stayed open till 7.30!! Not sure if it still does?...

Tallaght Post Office i.e. the one in the Square used to open late on Thursdays and I think Friday but doesnt anymore.

If you ring them up the automated message says they open late, but I asked the last time I was in there and was told they have stopped opening late. So it closes at 5:30 unfortunately.

If you see the Forsa Facebook page, your school is very much an exception cos no SNAs that ive seen finish the same time as the teachers.

I'm not doubting you. Of the three schools I know well, SNAs finish same time as teachers.

What are they doing in schools in June. They should downright refuse to do anything they are not contracted to do

Geography tomorrow. What’s the story with the projects held in the school? Who sends them away? Are they sent by the superintendent or school?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Geography tomorrow. What’s the story with the projects held in the school? Who sends them away? Are they sent by the superintendent or school?

The examinations aide will give you the projects which you include with the candidates scripts.

finicio wrote:
    What are they doing in schools in June. They should downright refuse to do anything they are not contracted to do

I think the main issue is that principals or deputy principals can make life very difficult for a SNA if they don't agree to do what they are asked even if it isn't in their job description.

Whereas a teacher can for the most part work away themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Thank you for clarifying that.
    I completely misread the instructions. I thought I had to bring it to the DSU and collect a new one on Sunday.
    Looking at some earlier posts, it seems I am not alone.

**edit
    I need to check.

**and as if by magic...
    Use the same box for the duration.
    Have it empty and open in your boot on Sunday and you keep the key.

Spare or unused exams to be left in stationery box.

The SEC might be keeping an eye on this thread as they just sent us all a letter clarifying this specific point about the box.

Advertisement