Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

The exam coordinator in the school told us to keep them open anyway.

Quick question on postage - my closest post office closes at 4.30. Do the exams get put back into the locked box until lunchtime the next day when I get a chance to post them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭appledrop

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Quick question on postage - my closest post office closes at 4.30. Do the exams get put back into the locked box until lunchtime the next day when I get a chance to post them?

That's very unusual, the post might be gone but most post offices are open until at least 5pm and usual 5.30/6pm.

I'd check in with post office they might actual be open later for exams.

appledrop wrote: »
    That's very unusual, the post might be gone but most post offices are open until at least 5pm and usual 5.30/6pm.

I'd check in with post office they might actual be open later for exams.

Will do. I'm just going off the times printed in the record of posting booklet. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Warbeastrior

What's the story with the papers from students in special centres?
    Someone told me that in 2019. The readers/scribes/attendants had to wait in the room with the exam paper until the time had elapsed even if the student left after 30 minutes.
    Something to do with not disturbing the students in the main centre when leaving the paper to the superintendent etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Someone told me that in 2019. The readers/scribes/attendants had to wait in the room with the exam paper until the time had elapsed even if the student left after 30 minutes.
    Something to do with not disturbing the students in the main centre when leaving the paper to the superintendent etc.

That’s true yeah. Technically you can’t enter the main centre until the exams are done. I’ve seen people do it before though where they got a sound superintendent in the main centre who let them in but definitely not the done thing. Those in special centres just have to wait until the cam is over.

Do students in special centres sign the yellow roll also
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

I’ve been superintending for years, and my experience has been that the readers/scribes etc have always dropped their paper back to me whenever they were finished. It causes minimal disturbance in the main centre and I’ve always been ok with it.

If you’re supervising a special centre, I’d just ask the superintendent in the main centre if that would be ok. I can’t imagine that they’d say no, especially with the doors open this year!

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Do students in special centres sign the yellow roll also
    ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

On the new electronic marking booklets, is putting the pink HL sticker now redundant and the candidate shading in the 'Higher' etc under 'Level' sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

gaiscioch wrote: »
    On the new electronic marking booklets, is putting the pink HL sticker now redundant and the candidate shading in the 'Higher' etc under 'Level' sufficient?

Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Warbeastrior

60.20e for non SNA staff per session
    45.94e for SNA staff per session

What on earth has them thinking its ok to pay SNA's less for the exact same job?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Nobody down on my center roll for engineering tomorrow. This has happened before so I didn’t head into the school until the next session in the afternoon. Someone is after telling me that we must be there as someone might decide to do the exam. What is the point of having portal if this is the case. I’ll go in I supposed and sit in for an hour - if nobody comes by then will leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Nobody down on my center roll for engineering tomorrow. This has happened before so I didn’t head into the school until the next session in the afternoon. Someone is after telling me that we must be there as someone might decide to do the exam. What is the point of having portal if this is the case. I’ll go in I supposed and sit in for an hour - if nobody comes by then will leave.

Do you have papers for Engineering?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tiredteach

Yes that’s what they told me to do. I have the papers so I sit for the hour even though it’s not on the roll. Awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Random sample

Tiredteach wrote: »
    Yes that’s what they told me to do. I have the papers so I sit for the hour even though it’s not on the roll. Awkward.

I think it’s because the centres were done out before the final portal changes, so technically someone could have changed their mind. The school should know though. I presume you’ll be paid regardless?

Students are not allowed into the exam hall once thirty minutes have passed, so you could probably just stay for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭DubLad69

60.20e for non SNA staff per session
    45.94e for SNA staff per session

What on earth has them thinking its ok to pay SNA's less for the exact same job?

I would imagine it's because SNAs are in work during June, so they are already being paid by the department.

Aquals wrote: »
    Students are not allowed into the exam hall once thirty minutes have passed, so you could probably just stay for half an hour.

Probably could but was instructed to stay one hour

Probably could but was instructed to stay one hour

That’s a bummer, because if anyone shows up after 45 minutes, for example, they won’t be allowed sit the exam anyway! If it was me, I’d probably point this out to the powers that be in the school.

Or you could meditate for an hour! Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭DubLad69

That’s a bummer, because if anyone shows up after 45 minutes, for example, they won’t be allowed sit the exam anyway! If it was me, I’d probably point this out to the powers that be in the school.

Not necessarily. There are reasons why a student might be allowed to enter after 30 minutes, they just have to satisfy the principal that they were exceptional circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

sitstill wrote: »
    Do you have papers for Engineering?

No I don’t and engineering papers were not on my list of papers to cross check with my box so I presume I have no students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

After the English paper today, there was some confusion in my school about what to do with the used question papers, once the exam was over.

The guide states that surplus question papers should be returned in the stationery box with the original envelope (i.e. the envelope signed by the witness when opened).

However, I'm not sure what the rule is with the question papers that were actually used. Can anyone confirm? Do they just get left in the school?

Instructions in the general instructions were to put them back in the box after each session the past few years.

Only I got my instructions from the SEC. School does not tell us what to do.

Exactly what I did do. I enjoyed the silence and made a to do list !!

After the English paper today, there was some confusion in my school about what to do with the used question papers, once the exam was over.

The guide states that surplus question papers should be returned in the stationery box with the original envelope (i.e. the envelope signed by the witness when opened).

However, I'm not sure what the rule is with the question papers that were actually used. Can anyone confirm? Do they just get left in the school?

Students could always take them on with them before I believe. I told the superintendents to let them on with them. The surplus unused ones will be sent back I'd say.

I had this situation today. Student not listed on centre roll for any subjects as going all accredited. However, engineering papers in the box and a sticker with the said students exam number was given to the super. Said student the only person in the centre who does engineering.

I told the super to stay at home and confirmed with the student he wouldn't be in. Must be a mistake by the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Students could always take them on with them before I believe. I told the superintendents to let them on with them. The surplus unused ones will be sent back I'd say.

Thanks :) Sounds right (vaguely recall taking my own home many moons ago!).

Assuming this means that students cant take them if they stay until the end of the exam only and not if they leave early , since the guide states not to divulge info about the exam before it's over (?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Was told today by exam aide in the school that the post office closest closes for a half day on a Thursday. Wtf????

Now it doesn’t affect me as it happens. But this is not a country village

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Hontou

I have engineering papers too but no one on centre roll or advice slip for engineering. Only 8 in my centre and I asked the 5 in today were they doing engineering tomorrow - all said no. A few others seem to have engineering papers in the school too with no names down for it. No external candidates expected by the school. Must be a mistake or they put in the papers because projects submitted?

• Advertisement

Thanks :) Sounds right (vaguely recall taking my own home many moons ago!).

Assuming this means that students cant take them if they stay until the end of the exam only and not if they leave early , since the guide states not to divulge info about the exam before it's over (?!).

Yeah after the exam session is over it’s fine. Prior to the session finishing they shouldn’t take the papers with them.

Advertisement