Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deportation of Uyghurs to China by Muslim governments.

• 08-06-2021 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Uygurs who lived in the Middle Eastern Muslim-majority countries Egypt, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates have been deported to China by the governments of those countries.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/08/middleeast/uyghur-arab-muslim-china-disappearances-cmd-intl/index.html
    As Beijing's global influence expands, rights activists fear that even as Western nations take China to task over its treatment of Uyghurs, countries in the Middle East and beyond will increasingly be willing to acquiesce to its crackdown on members of the ethnic group at home and abroad.
    A Human Rights Watch report released in April said China had tracked down hundreds of Uyghurs across the globe, forcing them to return and face persecution. In many cases "it is impossible to find out what has happened" to them, the report said.
    For some Uyghurs, the extraditions from Muslim countries will be especially galling, shattering notions of Islamic solidarity and deepening feelings of isolation on a world stage where China's power has grown rapidly.
    For Maya Wang, senior China researcher at Human Rights Watch, the alleged treatment of Uyghurs by the autocratic governments of the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Egypt is not surprising -- despite those countries being signatories to the UN's Convention Against Torture.
    "A lot of these governments don't care about human rights," she told CNN. "They are unelected governments that persecute their citizens in their countries. There is no real rule of law and democracy when it comes to deportations of Uyghurs."

Given that these Uyghurs were thousands of miles away when they were sent back to China, why would the Chinese government feel threatened by them so much that it wanted them sent back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

For someone who's username is Political Analyst?
    You rarely open your threads with any, why?
    What's your analytical overview of the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭political analyst

banie01 wrote: »

Ah, not this again!

It's just a username!

Ah, not this again!

It's just a username!

It's a user name that implies you have an opinion and some degree of knowledge.
    Yet rather than present analysis, you ask questions.
    I'll ask again.

What's your opinion on this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

.....what's yours? Pot Kettle Black.

This sounds disturbing. I tagged my Congressman on it just so he was made aware of it. It is alarming that China is importing/extraditing muslims into its concentration camps, why should it be China's business if a muslim lives freely somewhere else, and is this Egypt for example getting rid of their own undesirables or being strongarmed by China in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

They were probably fighting for Daesh . The Chinese will shoot them in the back of the head and good riddance to bad rubbish I say. IF they were in Isis.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

This sounds disturbing. I tagged my Congressman on it just so he was made aware of it. It is alarming that China is importing/extraditing muslims into its concentration camps, why should it be China's business if a muslim lives freely somewhere else, and is this Egypt for example getting rid of their own undesirables or being strongarmed by China in some way.
    That's pretty good satire.

TBF OH, on threads I start in as important a matter such as extra-judicial extradition or deportation?

I'd be fairly certain I would lay out an opinion as to why I am against such actions.
    I have issue with efforts to skirt the rules with a newsdump and not actually having the OP provide their opinion.

It's something I probably have been guilty of in the past?
    But noone expects nominative determinism from me based on my username.
    The thread count of questions framed without opinion is a tad tiresome.
    That said, that's probably more my fault than PA's and not his can to carry in any case.

So just to be clear.
    I am against any form of extra-judicial deportation particularly when it's to country undertaking cultural repression and genocide.

I am perhaps guilty of having a bit of hope that someone who chose their username?
    Would make an effort to live up to it at some point.

That's pretty good satire.

?

TBF OH, on threads I start in as important a matter such as extra-judicial extradition or deportation?

I'd be fairly certain I would lay out an opinion as to why I am against such actions.
    I have issue with efforts to skirt the rules with a newsdump and not actually having the OP provide their opinion.

It's something I probably have been guilty of in the past?
    The thread count of questions framed without opinion is a tad tiresome.
    That said, that's probably more my fault than PA's and not his can to carry in any case.

So just to be clear.
    I am against any form of extra-judicial deportation particularly when it's to country undertaking cultural repression and genocide.

I am perhaps guilty of having a bit of hope that someone who chose their username?
    Would make an effort to live up to it at some point.

But you're arguing ad hominems. The OP is not the topic. The argument is invalid. He could be named Princess Jellybean, Critical Thinking or No Lives Matter, and it would not add value to, or discount the content of the post: news about China picking up muslims from other countries and packing them into concentration camps.

But you're arguing ad hominems. The OP is not the topic. The argument is invalid. He could be named Princess Jellybean, Critical Thinking or No Lives Matter, and it would not add value to, or discount the content of the post: news about China picking up muslims from other countries and packing them into concentration camps.
    So Fox News/ CNN calls them concentration camps and the whole world is supposed to believe them?

The notion that the USA cares about Muslims is laughable and the USA has no credibility on the matter.

• Advertisement

So Fox News/ CNN calls them concentration camps and the whole world is supposed to believe them?

The notion that the USA cares about Muslims is laughable and the USA has no credibility on the matter.

That's another ad hominem..

If you want to present an argument refuting that there are crimes against humanity happening in China right now, I am open to your evidence.

The point is this is a common tactic from the OP.
    Open an emotive thread and give zero opinion.
    I note the OP has said, "not this again, it's just a name"
    So they have had the issue broached previously?
    Yet carry on, that's fine.
    It is their name, their call but if you choose to call yourself "political analyst" and don't analyse or offer opinion on emotive topics?
    It doesn't proffer a path to actual conversation.
    It's basically a newsdump, with zero opinion.

It's an important topic and one that needs discussion.

Is China deporting Uighurs unlawfully ongoing?
    How many have been taken back to China in this manner?
    What governments are complicit?
    What actual evidence is there?

Is a western response to China seeking to repatriate its citizens for it may claim are criminal acts?
    Lessened by Western support for the US when they were carrying out such actions with rendition, non citizens and Guantanamo?
    Does the west have the moral authority to act?

Is this a Chinese internal matter?
    What extradition arrangements does China have in place with countries that have facilitated deportations?
    Is there a legal basis for any of the extraditions?
    Are China just exercising economic or military threat?

Lots of avenues for analysis and grounds for discussion there, so I'll let ye carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah, not this again!

It's just a username!

You can't be using inaccurate usernames

Exactly Don, exactly ;) :pac:

That's another ad hominem..

If you want to present an argument refuting that there are crimes against humanity happening in China right now, I am open to your evidence.
    The onus is on the person making the positive claim.

Again the notion that the USA cares about Muslims in general is laughable and it is not an ad hominem to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Given the behaviour of the CCP over the last few years, nothing surprises me about them anymore. IMO its slowly coming to light that there is nothing they won’t do, and feel they can hold the whole world to economic ransom to get whatever they want. Their reach obviously extends far and wide, and judging by some of the responses on this thread, their apologists care just as little about right and wrong as they do.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Firblog

Uygurs who lived in the Middle Eastern Muslim-majority countries Egypt, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates have been deported to China by the governments of those countries.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/08/middleeast/uyghur-arab-muslim-china-disappearances-cmd-intl/index.html

Given that these Uyghurs were thousands of miles away when they were sent back to China, why would the Chinese government feel threatened by them so much that it wanted them sent back?

It's not just "middle eastern muslim majority countries" https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/why-a-controversial-chinese-swiss-agreement-has-been-left-to-expire/46230768

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Chinese have observed the US/UK support murderous head-chopping jihadists from Libya to Afghanistan and is saying 'fuck that' and has taken those pawns off the chessboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Too right. We are actually 10000 maniacs. Watch out!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

The Chinese have observed the US/UK support murderous head-chopping jihadists from Libya to Afghanistan and is saying 'fuck that' and has taken those pawns off the chessboard.

Chinese Department of the Interior problem. Nothing to see here. Now if our government was awake and was more interested in protecting Irish citizens instead of Ibrihim Halawa, Kalid Kelly and some numpty from Uzibekistan who go around shooting up the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    Chinese Department of the Interior problem. Nothing to see here. Now if our government was awake and was more interested in protecting Irish citizens instead of Ibrihim Halawa, Kalid Kelly and some numpty from Uzibekistan who go around shooting up the shop.

What the Chinese are doing to the Uyghur population is criminal. Pointing out their rationale is not an endorsement of such behaviour on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭growleaves

I do.

growleaves wrote: »
    I do.

I shall do my utmost to be both 1st of my line and remain my pale blue white colour forever then!
    Promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Firblog wrote: »

The CCP cannot tolerate criticism anywhere on this planet. As Chinese power grows, critics of the regime will feel less and less secure wherever they live and less willing to speak out. If the Uighurs were breakfast, and neighbouring countries lunch, we could yet end up on the menu later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭SeanW

Considering that Fox and CNN are on opposite sides of a bitterly divided political spectrum: yes. If the conservatives at Fox and the woke brigade over at CNN both use words "concentration camps" to describe what the Chinese Communist Party is doing in East Turkestan then yes, the Chinese are probably putting Muslims in concentration camps. If the likes of Sean Hannity and Don Lemon agree on something, there's probably a very good reason why they do so.
    They were probably fighting for Daesh . The Chinese will shoot them in the back of the head and good riddance to bad rubbish I say. IF they were in Isis.
    If. As those laconic Spartans would have pointed out "If" is the key word here. It's possible that all the Uighurs being sent back to concentration camps were "fighting for Isis" but it's more likely that the CCP and their shills are using the "we're fighting terrorism" excuse to engage in genocide.

And it's more likely the latter because the CCP is doing similar things to Tibetans and Mongolians in Inner Mongolia. The same kind of cultural extermination, minus the concentration camps. Not to mention being existential threat to the people of Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Maybe Ireland can take them in...and some of the lads posting here can put them up in their houses.

It's a user name that implies you have an opinion and some degree of knowledge.
    Yet rather than present analysis, you ask questions.
    I'll ask again.

What's your opinion on this matter?

Asking questions is one of the reasons for OPs on this site.

Two cheeks one arse.

There is a long standing tradition in the USA called the bipartisan consensus. It means that so far as the mass murdering hegemon's overseas campaigns of mass murder are concerned neither side of the non existent US political divide will question the evil empire's campaigns of mass murder overseas.

The mass murdering hegemon is the USA and so is the evil empire.

Some people got killed in new york and how many Muslims have the Americans killed in revenge?

A million?

SeanW wrote: »
    Considering that Fox and CNN are on opposite sides of a bitterly divided political spectrum: yes. If the conservatives at Fox and the woke brigade over at CNN both use words "concentration camps" to describe what the Chinese Communist Party is doing in East Turkestan then yes, the Chinese are probably putting Muslims in concentration camps. If the likes of Sean Hannity and Don Lemon agree on something, there's probably a very good reason why they do so.

If. As those laconic Spartans would have pointed out "If" is the key word here. It's possible that all the Uighurs being sent back to concentration camps were "fighting for Isis" but it's more likely that the CCP and their shills are using the "we're fighting terrorism" excuse to engage in genocide.

And it's more likely the latter because the CCP is doing similar things to Tibetans and Mongolians in Inner Mongolia. The same kind of cultural extermination, minus the concentration camps. Not to mention being existential threat to the people of Taiwan.

Asking questions is one of the reasons for OPs on this site.

Just asking questions is a well known anti semitic dogwhistle.

• Advertisement

Firblog wrote: »

Has the Swiss government deported an Uyghur? Switzerland is a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights.

Advertisement