Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice for used car.

• 08-06-2021 8:12pm

New driver here but in late 20s.
    Thinking of buying a car and not looking for a tiny car. Looking for an average sized hatch back that is durable.
    I am looking at kia ceed or Renault megane.
    I am not very big on golf (heard vw usually have some type of trouble.)
    I will not drive a Yaris or any any Toyota Car.
    Please give me some suggestions on reliable and nice looking hatchbacks.
    Thanks 😘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Auris hatchback
    Avensis hatchback
    Corolla hatchback

3 near bullet proof cars
    Not very cool or exciting
    But cheap to run and rarely breakdown

Oh wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What’s your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Hyundai i20 did me very well. Big enough when you put the seats down :D not exciting but did the job

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hyundai i20 did me very well. Big enough when you put the seats down :D not exciting but did the job

Please don’t elaborate 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

Honda Civic.. look good, very reliable, good value

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What’s your budget

Doublebusy wrote: »
    Auris hatchback
    Avensis hatchback
    Corolla hatchback

3 near bullet proof cars
    Not very cool or exciting
    But cheap to run and rarely breakdown

Oh wait.....

I don't like Toyota cars though. Plus the insurance on them is pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

emulsifier wrote: »
    I don't like Toyota cars though. Plus the insurance on them is pricey.

Just winding you up
    Good luck on your search

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I literally came to post an almost identical question. Except my budget wud stretch to 10k

€5k budget.

I’d rather have a €3k Toyota and a few quid extra for insurance than a €5k Kia Ceed or Renault Megane.

If I have to pick between a Megane and a Ceed, can I have a bicycle and a bus pass instead?

No?

Okay, I’d pick:

A Ceed and a brown bag to put over my head with two holes to see out through. And a bicycle.

Or a Megane with a torch and spare batteries, a raincoat and a bus pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭elgicko

Honda civic, they are bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, if you aren't spending €5k on a Toyota, you're better off spending €3500 on something else and keeping the difference for when it lets you down.

Kia Ceed is an unreliable hateful POS, at least a Corolla just boring, for example.

JayZeus wrote: »
    €5k budget.

I’d rather have a €3k Toyota and a few quid extra for insurance than a €5k Kia Ceed or Renault Megane.

If I have to pick between a Megane and a Ceed, can I have a bicycle and a bus pass instead?

No?

Okay, I’d pick:

A Ceed and a brown bag to put over my head with two holes to see out through. And a bicycle.

Or a Megane with a torch and spare batteries, a raincoat and a bus pass.

Interesting, I have heard good reviews of the ceed car though. Any other options other than Toyota? Do you own a Toyota car?

Yeah, if you aren't spending €5k on a Toyota, you're better off spending €3500 on something else and keeping the difference for when it lets you down.

Kia Ceed is an unreliable hateful POS, at least a Corolla just boring, for example.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the advice. Are there any other options out there? Also, do you drive a Toyota car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

1 series BMW?

1 series BMW?

Lol, thanks, are you willingg to finance it for me?

Would you go away out of that, the Ceed is hardly unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

emulsifier wrote: »
    Lol, thanks, are you willingg to finance it for me?

They've been making them for 15years bound to be some within budget,

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would you go away out of that, the Ceed is hardly unreliable.

A bit tongue in cheek in fairness but they aren't the holy grail of reliability, with the same clutch and gearbox issues as a lot of the Hyundai/ Kia stuff, plenty of them out there suffering from a heavy pedal and trouble getting gear.

You see a lot of Mk1's not succumbing to rusted subframes too, both front and rear. Saucey enough to repair and good second hand stuff is thin on the ground.

Radios packing in, very hard to get second hand too and popular to give up the ghost.

Keyfobs, brake light switches, window switches, engine rads bowing.

In fairness the range of engines aren't too bad at all, in fact i would go so far as to say very dependable for the most part, it's the rest of the cars that are shoite, a Corolla they are not. Not that that's a good enough reason to buy a Corolla but on a tight budget i'd have one over a Ceed for sure, personally.

A bit tongue in cheek in fairness but they aren't the holy grail of reliability, with the same clutch and gearbox issues as a lot of the Hyundai/ Kia stuff, plenty of them out there suffering from a heavy pedal and trouble getting gear.

You see a lot of Mk1's not succumbing to rusted subframes too, both front and rear. Saucey enough to repair and good second hand stuff is thin on the ground.

Radios packing in, very hard to get second hand too and popular to give up the ghost.

Keyfobs, brake light switches, window switches, engine rads bowing.

In fairness the range of engines aren't too bad at all, in fact i would go so far as to say very dependable for the most part, it's the rest of the cars that are shoite, a Corolla they are not. Not that that's a good enough reason to buy a Corolla but on a tight budget i'd have one over a Ceed for sure, personally.

Compare it to a Golf like!

• Advertisement

Fair comment.

At least your friends will think you are cool in a Golf and you wont have to expalin to them what a Kia Ceed is and why it was a sensible purchase :pac:

They've been making them for 15years bound to be some within budget,

Lol, I mean I heard they are expensive to repair and always have issues... that is the bmw brand

Suzuki Swift? Decent 1.3 and 1.5 engines.
    Mitsubishi Lancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Fair comment.

At least your friends will think you are cool in a Golf and you wont have to expalin to them what a Kia Ceed is and why it was a sensible purchase :pac:

Depends on your friends...

Advertisement