Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

obi604 wrote: »
    Bump. Need to head out that direction and wondering should I avoid.

I think they are. We went out to Oughterard yesterday and there were several signs warning of roadworks further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

If it's a small road with no central marker then middle of the road typically is middle of the lane.

If there's a cycle lane and cyclists aren't using it it's worth asking why, it might not be as suitable as it looks (Doughiska for example).

Where there are proper segregated cycle lanes they should be used and I think they generally are used. But you'll always have the odd car-hating hero with multiple cameras mounted out looking for confrontation.

Yup and galway has it's fair share of those types some more well known than others along with few on this thread. Guess the cycle mantra won't be diluted, decades long of government support ( mainly FF) for car ownership and piss poor PT infra imo should be a driving conversation here for reduction of the mpv's as it would have the best realistic chance of success.

obi604 wrote: »
    Bump. Need to head out that direction and wondering should I avoid.

Was out there last weekend, I headed out via spiddal/ rossaveal and came out at mamm cross, no delays.

On return journey wasn't in any rush, road works are just shortly after mamm cross heading to moycullen. It was about 20/25 minute delay. This was on a Sunday so I'd imagine it would be alot worse other days, if concerned about time take the scenic route, it's bendy but you go at a steady pace and be careful of the speedvans as a fair few spots of reduced speed limit.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You've just realised I see. :)

Chief, I understand, being stuck in traffic in a car every day is hard and it's easy to blame other road users, but you now know that cyclists aren't the problem.
    You now know cycling doesn't make children sick.
    You now know that kids get colds from germs.
    You now know that green schools actively encourage kids to cycle to school.

Every day is a school day.

Love my car, not hard at all with the tech inside. (And no not using mobile while driving), just plan journeys with appropriate time. Post covid make it even easier.
    Cyclist are not a problem, yes but they are not the solution either.
    Not wearing appropriate clothes for the weather can contribute to getting sick (note video it was admitted they got drownded)
    Germ yes they are everywhere
    Schools don't want incidents published in the paper.

And yes if your not learning your wasting your time.

Laviski wrote: »
    Guess the cycle mantra won't be diluted, decades long of government support ( mainly FF) for car ownership and piss poor PT infra imo should be a driving conversation here for reduction of the mpv's as it would have the best realistic chance of success.

I think a lot of the bike talk is because it's a sustainable option and an immediate resolution of the traffic problem for those it suits. The frustration is with the lack of implementation of the councils own published plans and policies to make it safer, better connected and open to less confident or assertive cyclists. That's despite funding and staff being available but not being drawn down.

Public transport is the key to travel within the city for most, but the current offering is very poor and no sign of any urgency or much ambition in sorting it. Any improvement is painfully slow. It feels like there's little we can do to make it happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Council need to be directed by Ministers to act; that it's how you move people around efficiently, not private cars. Factor in climate change, carbon emissions etc..

It is mid-2021 and we're still talking about ring roads and traffic jams. It was the same in the 1960s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Love my car, not hard at all with the tech inside. (And no not using mobile while driving), just plan journeys with appropriate time. Post covid make it even easier.

Don't get me wrong, love my cars too, we do motorised holidays! I'm not even a cycle commuter any more since I became self employed, I'm more reliant on the car now. I just like cyclists, I think they're a good addition to the road, more cyclists - less traffic. I have absolutely no problem driving behind a cyclist or cyclists taking the lane, there's usually good reason for it.
    Cyclist are not a problem

Glad you've changed your mind because you're earlier posts about cyclists taking the lane sounded like you thought they were.
    Good., yes but they are not the solution either.

No, they're part of the solution, as VanWildcard's right Public transport is a huge part of it, but people have to use it.
    Not wearing appropriate clothes for the weather can contribute to getting sick (note video it was admitted they got drownded)

That's why cyclists wear appropriate clothing and getting wet is ok. My kids get soaked to the skin all the time, they swim in the sea, they get cold, they get too hot and they're never sick.
    And yes if your not learning your wasting your time.

We're in agreement on this one at least! :o Sorry for sounding a bit preachy earlier on.

Sorry for sounding a bit preachy earlier on.

Careful now, don't let SeaSlacker see this - remember we're meant to address each other as scum and want to punch each other in the face! :p

Glad you've changed your mind because you're earlier posts about cyclists taking the lane sounded like you thought they were.

it's just mentioning as an irritation as the incidents i come across there is absolute no reason for it. When cycling and going as a group or side by side and you know there is traffic behind, decent thing to do is to go single file for the 10 seconds to let the MPV's through. everyone gets along etc.

No, they're part of the solution, as VanWildcard's right Public transport is a huge part of it, but people have to use it.

to be honest i just don't see how that will make it attractive for people to give up their car, if your sitting in traffic and see cyclist in crap weather, you will have your heat/ac on and listen to radio or audiobooks or whatever, just nice and comfortable. However if you see busses whizzing by your every couple of minutes (and know bus would get you there 20+minutes sooner than car) you will be thinking to either get a taxi plate or leave car at home.

also no worries about being preachy, i'm just trying to diversify the conversation away from cycling stuff. they can pull z y z reports of how cycling is better yadda yadda ya. Its not going to change the mentality of car ownership due to successive governments planning in just incentivising car ownership. With awful planning, ripping up tram/train lines (granted country was broke), crap bus network with mainly at FF at the helm (surprised people still vote for them, wonder if the pro cycle lobby still do?)

I was in Maam Cross recently, works are still there but the new alignment is taking shape. Will be an interesting run when it finishes.
    Careful now, don't let SeaSlacker see this - remember we're meant to address each other as scum and want to punch each other in the face! :p

It’s like the racists who say “I’m not a racist but” and then proceed to write exceptionally racist takes. It’s a subconscious thing.

• Advertisement

Well at least you're becoming conscious of it.

Well at least you're becoming conscious of it.

Of you & your crew’s “I don’t think of car drivers as scum, but....” takes? Yeah. Been aware for decades mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The divide and conquer stuff is so old, childish and tiresome.
    A lot of adults who walk,cycle or use public transport are also car drivers. Have a car sitting out in the driveway, its moves on average about once a week.

The divide and conquer stuff is so old, childish and tiresome.
    A lot of adults who walk,cycle or use public transport are also car drivers. Have a car sitting out in the driveway, its moves on average about once a week.

“The BLM taking the knee stuff is so old, childish and tiresome.
    A lot of adults who go to football games are also black people. I have a black friend, I check in with him a few times a year.”

This is not to equate in any way the experience of black people with car drivers, only the similarity in anti car advocate language trying to avoid outing themselves as partisans and racists doing the same. It’s disingenuous, maybe even to themselves.

If you can put “I’m not a (thing), but…” before what you write, you’re masking partisanship.

A lot of adults who go to football games are also black people. I have a black friend, I check in with him a few times a year.”

This is not to equate in any way the experience of black people with car drivers, only the similarity in anti car advocate language trying to avoid outing themselves as partisans and racists doing the same. It’s disingenuous, maybe even to themselves.

If you can put “I’m not a (thing), but…” before what you write, you’re masking partisanship.

ok :D

You certainly are going down a rabbit hole here mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Interesting. So if someone was to say they aren't equating the experience of black people with car drivers, but then go on to equate the language usage of both, would that disingenuous or just masking patisanship?

Personally I'm not anti anything. I've a drivers licence and have driven for nearly 2 decades.

However I recognise that the dominance of the car has made a mess of Galway city. I also recognise that if the city is to grow by a further 50% in population over the next 20 years then we need to look at other ways of moving people around.

It's widely acknowledged that the roads in Galway have reached capacity. So if you want to allow for 50% more people going to school, work, shopping then the private car has to suffer in terms of access and priority.

Nobody has said cars can't access the city, they still will be able to, just they will likely have to take a detour to allow for buses, bikes and pedestrians.

Cars will still be able to park, just not on the streets as that space will be given over to buses, bikes and pedestrians.

Cars will still be able to go from one side of the city to the other, but they will have to take a longer, roundabout route to allow space for buses, bikes and pedestrians.

Cars will still be able to go through junctions but the sequence of lights will allow buses and bikes to proceed first.

And so on

There is no one trying to stop you sitting in traffic, you want to, go right ahead.

Everyone else will be focused on getting from A to B in the quicker, cheaper and more environmentally friendly way

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Just the attention he craves.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Mrs OBumble, scarlet for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jaysus Mrs OBumble, scarlet for you!!

Not even slightly.

Cycling or walking in rain that heavy is dumb.

Forcing your kids to do it is crappy parenting, to put it politely.

If you are cycling or walking and a torrential downpour starts, stop and take shelter.

It ain't rocket science.

Not even slightly.

If you are cycling or walking and a torrential downpour starts, stop and take shelter.

It ain't rocket science.

Thankfully we're not made of sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not even slightly.

It ain't rocket science.

Why? What will the rain do to you? Far more harm done on a walk on a fine day breathing in who knows what from the passing or stalled traffic.

That is the very opposite of polite.

Not even slightly.

It ain't rocket science.

Germs spread the cold & flu, not summer showers!!

Even if you weren't aware of this two years ago, you should certainly be aware by now! Wash your hands.

The City Council has been awarded €735,000 and County Council €501,000 for "Additional Outdoor Infrastructure".

"The Additional Outdoor Infrastructure Fund enables measures such as cycling and walking infrastructure, the re-allocation of road and street space and traffic management arrangements."

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b37ff-234-projects-to-receive-funding-under-additional-outdoor-infrastructure-fund/

https://twitter.com/Dept_Transport/status/1404415730167304201?s=19

Great to see more safe streets being rolled out. 170 schools around the country, of which 11 in the city & county of Galway

https://twitter.com/GalwayCycling/status/1406940448866848774?s=20

The decision on the ring road has been pushed back again at the last minute. Was due in the next week, pushed to end of August now.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/decision-on-galway-ring-road-proposal-encounters-further-delay/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The decision on the ring road has been pushed back again at the last minute. Was due in the next week, pushed to end of August now.https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/decision-on-galway-ring-road-proposal-encounters-further-delay/
    August 2031?? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement