Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call centre

• 07-06-2021 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

DO companies usually only hire young people for call centre jobs?

I’m in my late 40s and I need to get back to work. Am I wasting my time or do I ha e just as much chance as someone younger ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

they'll hire anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

I work in one.

The youngest person I have met in the job is 19 years old, and the eldest I have met was in her late 50s/early 60s (she had three children, all adults, some of which are older than I am.)

You've got just as much chance as anyone else of getting the job. But what I will say is that the majority of people in the office are in their 20s and are only doing it for the experience. We see people walk out the door on a weekly basis because they've been offered something better somewhere else. Older people don't tend to stick around for long because they generally dislike the nature of the work and the pay is a lot less than their previous gig. There's a disconnect between them and their much younger co-workers a lot of the time too because of the age difference and a lack of things in common sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    I work in one.

The youngest person I have met in the job is 19 years old, and the eldest I have met was in her late 50s/early 60s (she had three children, all adults, some of which are older than I am.)

You've got just as much chance as anyone else of getting the job. But what I will say is that the majority of people in the office are in their 20s and are only doing it for the experience. We see people walk out the door on a weekly basis because they've been offered something better somewhere else. Older people don't tend to stick around for long because they generally dislike the nature of the work and the pay is a lot less than their previous gig. There's a disconnect between them and their much younger co-workers a lot of the time too because of the age difference and a lack of things in common sometimes.

I might do okay so - I don’t like rap or social media but I know all the Pokemon :p

I saw jobs going at Sky Ireland and the application is a questionnaire and to record yourself on video (answering scenarios). No CV - and I thought this is ideal.

So I applied after I started the thread but got disqualified after the questionnaire - some of my responses where not the correct way to deal with customers.

I can apply again in 3 months but have no idea what is wrong with the answers I gave so I wouldn’t do any better a second time.

I’ll try for other companies but Sky is the only one I recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Would €450 per week be the going rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

PMBC wrote: »

Yes I'd say that would be close enough, then sales commission on top depending on the role...

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salary/Sky-Dublin-Salaries-EI_IE3903.0,3_IL.4,10_IM1052.htm

• Advertisement

I saw jobs going at Sky Ireland and the application is a questionnaire and to record yourself on video (answering scenarios). No CV - and I thought this is ideal.

So I applied after I started the thread but got disqualified after the questionnaire - some of my responses where not the correct way to deal with customers.

I can apply again in 3 months but have no idea what is wrong with the answers I gave so I wouldn’t do any better a second time.

I’ll try for other companies but Sky is the only one I recognized.

The one I'm in had no questionnaire or other tests. I submitted a CV to a particular recruitment agency that deals with the company and does the hiring for them. For a lot of call center jobs, you can get into them through agencies so it's worth trying agencies for these types of jobs. It wouldn't hurt to even call them for a faster answer than emailing them because they have a huge database full of CVs to pull from to fill these roles.

The only thing they had me do was 15 min interview with two people from the agency to determine if I was an okay fit for the job or not. After that they just asked for proof of my qualifications. Like most of my co-workers, I am overqualified for this job and I'm only here for the experience. :pac:

PMBC wrote: »

Yes; but for the amount of abuse you'll get from customers it's not worth it. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

I might do okay so - I don’t like rap or social media but I know all the Pokemon :p

I’ll try for other companies but Sky is the only one I recognised.

They don't care about age, I worked in one years ago and age was from 18-60. Nobody cared once you could do the job

In terms of the application, best to prepare before doing an interview like that. Plenty of people offering prep work, best to pay first and then do interview. Also call centre covers a huge area, you have sales/support etc. All different types of jobs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Yes; but for the amount of abuse you'll get from customers it's not worth it. :pac:

You can be in a call centre that is run for internal customers, so no abuse. You can be in direct sales for distribution companies who are selling to companies who then sell to customer. Again no abuse in that.

If you are going for a job in eir customer support then expect abuse.

Advertisement