Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sweet Tooth [Netflix]

• 29-04-2021 3:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

(Executive) produced by the two Downeys, this is a series based on a DC comic I had never heard of. Interesting & fairly eccentric premise, though that thumbnail makes it look way goofier than (I think) the actual show might be aiming for.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A full, story-centric trailer has popped up; nothing original about the whole "humans are the real monsters" theme, while the tone of it seems so earnest - considering how goofy the hybrids look. Still, gets points for its undoubtedly original look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dropped today, on the off chance anyone's interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Is this for Kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

In passing, I saw Grace give it a decent review.
    Then checking earlier and seeing it having 7.9/10 on imdb and 97% critics 95% audience on rotten tomatoes.

One episode in and it's a cross Fantasy / Post-apocalyptic world so far.
    Production quality is high so I'm guessing Netflix have put money into it and the acting is solid so far.
    I'd say it's more for mature kids. commonsensemedia gives it a 13+ age rating:
    https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/sweet-tooth

1:
    Not sure about the Doctor story, it felt like it introduced the world but faded as it went on. Maybe the Doctor will be back later. I liked the Pubba and son story. I really liked that "I'm seven so now I'm old enough" bit. I'm pretty sure I remember similar from my long-ago youth
    :)
    Got me in the feels a bit when the father got the sick. They transitioned on to the hunters and introducing the big man well enough. Want to see where it goes. Thinking a little bit that Birdie might be dead.

Really got Michael J Fox in Back to the future vibes from the outfit the kid was wearing at the end of the episode. He also looks a bit like the kid from the sixth sense .. who yeah isn't a kid anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Watched a few episodes... high production quality... the story just isn´t that interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

silly wrote: »
    Is this for Kids?
    I would say kids would like it tbh.
    I think it is rated 12.

I am up to episode 3 strongest episode so far for me. The kid who plays Gus is terrific.

2: I was like..
    The Bear Trap! Yeah, He's totally gonna set a few traps! Great idea!
    ... Nope! :eek:

Alright, so from the
    Doctors story, I'm guessing that the kids are being experiemented on and killed in order to extract some fluid or something that temporarily stops the sick.. but not permanently.

I like how they are doing
    the kids eyes like that. I remember a bunch of deer in the Phoenix Park scared the crap outta me like that when I was passing through it one night.

Slydice wrote: »
    2: I was like..
    The Bear Trap! Yeah, He's totally gonna set a few traps! Great idea!
    ... Nope! :eek:

Alright, so from the
    Doctors story, I'm guessing that the kids are being experiemented on and killed in order to extract some fluid or something that temporarily stops the sick.. but not permanently.

I like how they are doing
    the kids eyes like that. I remember a bunch of deer in the Phoenix Park scared the crap outta me like that when I was passing through it one night.
    I think you are
    right about the extraction of fluid, I am nearly sure some of the docs mentioned pineal or pituitary glands...I am pretty sure that is in the brain somewhere?
    it's a really interesting show, lots to enjoy.

3: Ha! Enter the
    classic baddie!
    :D That
    burning of Doug alive in his own house!
    :eek:

I recognised the girl who recued them but wasn't sure from where.
    She's Stefania LaVie Owen and was in the netflix show called Messiah (thread here)
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2901344/

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

5 episodes in. Very good show. Very well produced and I enjoy the sinister undertones and covid references. Looking forward to finishing it off.

• Advertisement

4: Bobby! :)

This Doctor story
    is wierd.. I assume his ultimate purpose in the story is to create a cure. Looks like the medical work would defnitely be experimenting on the hybrids.

The playground place
    was cool while it lasted. I assume there was a history between Tiger and Bear going back before this for it to go down so easy.
    Onwards to Colorado I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see Nonso Anozie is in this, that is a positive so must check it out

5: I'm not sure if
    the General killed the first doctor or maybe injected her with the Sick or something. Thinking he's going to drive Singh to do experiments. Not sure what's going to happen to the preserves.. thinking either they are about to be captured and delivered to Singh or they are going to run and meet Sweet Tooth.

6: Felt like
    it only inched along the plot but firmed up the team for Sweet Tooth, Big man and Bear. Also maybe the folks in the preserve will be ok.

Caught the first episode and I really liked it. Very different, and very bittersweet too. Not sure I'd say it was suitable for young kids but definitely older ones. The premise is interesting so wonder if the Hybrids idea will play any great role or is just window dressing. The child actor was very good; this kind of story lives or dies by its young leads so thankfully he did very well.

On episode 7 now.
    I thought it was odd they killed off a fairly big name like will forte early on glad they filled out his background. Glad they showed the origin of sickness as well
    Terrific show hope it finds an audience

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched all of it and a decent show with great chemistry between the two main characters. Annoying all the same that it was so obviously set up for Season 2 right from the start. Thought the pace could have been faster in places, especially with backstories.

Finished episode 8, hugely enjoyed the series
    really enjoyed the story threads coming together in that last episode. The acting in the whole show was pretty terrific, the young lead a real find, the exception would be poor stock villain, complete with twirling moustache...serious Dr Robotnik vibes.
    It looked fantastic and I found all the storylines compelling. It didn't drag like some Netflix shows have a tendency to do.
    Really hope there will be a second series so many things left to explore!

7: Hrmm.. I liked how they did
    this background story. Not sure where the last episode is going. There's still the general, the preserve and Birdie to figure out. Gotta be a season 2 lining up for at least one of those stories
    I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lovely show. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just finished it - thought the first episode dragged, was like what is it all about after avoiding any spoilers

But this is a very cute story and you won't go wrong watching it whether you're 13 or 30+
    There is plenty of pay offs - lots of tantalising threads that do wrap up (in case it is cancelled). The actor playing Gus is brilliant - the charm and innocence he portrays is perfect, like when he eats all the food or delight at apples

Great show and look forward to season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Well this was a fantastic little show.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Seen a few eps. It’s really good so far

At the halfway point and this show seems well suited to be described as "charming". Very (bitter)sweet story, its lead never once obnoxious or irritating. Already hoping this gets renewed

Finished. Overall, well made show. Moves at a slow-ish enough pace. Some pretty dark moments. A lot of heart.

8: That
    surgery scene was really unnerving! I was still guessing towards the end about where the show was going. At one point I thought they had somehow figured out a way to just wrap it up at one season. Gonna have to see if they get a season 2 to see how they get the kids out.

Funny
    *boink* moment with the car at the start.

Future: Well
    they're aiming for a second season. Guess the viewer numbers will tell. I'd watch it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

8-10 , wonderful family tv series.

Watched it with my children and they all loved it. It’s 12s as there is some adult themes but some of it would go over a child’s head. One of the few shows all my children sit down and watch together with me.

I really hope it’s renewed.

Good news! It was announced today Netflix was renewing this for a season 2.

Delighted with that decision; a really sweet story, and a good tonic against the notion all post-apocalyptic tales need to be inhumane or nihilistic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great news,even if not too surprising given it did very well.

Loved this show as it actually was sweet, benefitting from some excellent casting. A sort of modern day fairy tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement