Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow and Bone [Netflix]

• 17-12-2020 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭

peteeeed wrote: »
    Netflix Announce "Shadow and Bone" Series Based on Popular Novels by Leigh Bardugo

In a world cleaved in two by a massive barrier of perpetual darkness, where unnatural creatures feast on human flesh, a young soldier uncovers a power that might finally unite her country. But as she struggles to hone her power, dangerous forces plot against her. Thugs, thieves, assassins and saints are at war now, and it will take more than magic to survive

Shadow and Bone stars newcomer Jessie Mei Li as Alina Starkov, Ben Barnes as General Kirigan, Freddy Carter as Kaz Brekker, Archie Renaux as Malyen Oretsev, Amita Suman as Inej, and Kit Young as Jesper Fahey.

https://ew.com/tv/netflixs-shadow-and-bone-adaptation-reveals-premiere-date-series-details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never read the books on which this is based, but does look like another Chosen Adolescent One story - there much to it beyond that?

The production looks pretty lavish, so I guess Netflix have some faith it might do well for the 3 seasons it'll give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I was like.. I know that guy! Turns out he was Billy Russo in The Punisher:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1602660/
    maybe it's the beard that threw me off..

He was also in Westworld but I don't remember him from that as much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer has surfaced; definite bangs of a Chosen One narrative, no doubt. Can't argue with the look of it though;

Dropped today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews look excellent will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's no GoT or Witcher

Struggled to get thru the first episode - entire cast is pretty much Gen Z/millenials and shows with the acting and dialogue

Show feels like it has similar fantasy elements as Carnival Row and His Dark Materials. Money has clearly been put in as the effects and camera work are high end.

1: Good intro to the universe. For the story.. it seems at first
    to be cut and dry .. she's got this new power, she'll save the day.. after stuff happens with all these others.. probably good n bad.
    I'm guessing there's going to be more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I finished reading the 2nd book last week so gonna take this really slow and start the 3rd book soon and watch along.

FYI: Kaz and his crew are from a different series of books (Six Of Crows Duology) based in the same universe and those books are REALLY good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Watching it at the moment and I’m on episode 7. Good enough story and I do like it. The General really reminds me of Gray from Eastenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Enjoyed it myself and found it a fairly easy watch. I thought the lead was decent even if there was a fair amount of rent-a-villain going on around her. Definitely not the worst 8 hours you'll waste on Netflix!

2: I liked the build up in this episode. Showing
    the testing system, the different magics, introducing the General, setting up the motivations of the thieves.. they're all-in now. At a guess.. maybe the General has something more to do with the fold than he's letting on for now.

3: The Goat!!!
    So SOFT! That was brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Binged through this over the last 2 nights, and it's pretty much in fairness, tired tropes aside. Effects were really well done, the world is interesting if not completely original (void aside), acting is pretty good for the most part. The main one has some genuine really good natural moments, with others feeling forced. Could see the ending a mile away, and I wish for once
    they wouldn't make the bad guy so obvious. Yer man did a good enough job of trying to seem genuine at times but the wardrobe never helped. I know that's also the point, but im sick of the usual bad guy pretending to be good even though its blatantly obvious he's not. I'm also tired of the love story requirement in everything, boring!!! It didn'tfeel natural, definitely forced and the show suffered during those scenes mainly, imo.

The world has me interested, but its cookie cutter formula might kill it for me, unless season 2 changes it up. Not a terrible show, but nothing standing out from it either. Worse shows to watch out there. And I do appreciate that it's not PG. I feel a lot of these shows could benefit from a higher aged target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Two episodes and I’m out.
    None of the characters are doing it for me and the world is so two dimensional I can see all the books I’ve read waving at me from behind the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched it all....it is fine, passed the time.
    The costumes and look of it are terrific, clearly a big budget.
    But it was all a bit predictable, the acting was extremely variable, some good some very stage school like. I preferred the criminal gang side to the Alina Starkov
    and her soppy stupid twilight light love triangle (the Mal actor was dreadful)
    Ben Barnes was fun though.

Also the storyline with the woman accused of being a witch seemed barely related and felt tacked on.

4:
    Damn, when Mal got shot and Mikhael go done through the chest
    :eek:
    Thought Mal was gone for sure.

5: That was brilliant! :)
    I was like .. AHA! I KNEW IT!!
    :D
    Slydice wrote: »
    At a guess.. maybe the General has something more to do with the fold than he's letting on for now.

I really liked how
    Brekker had already put together the body double and the betrayal of the conductor!

So, now
    to see if Mal can keep up with them!

6: Alright, Now it's on!
    Race to the Stag being Hunted on one side.. and possibly going to end up with Nina on the other? and then Brekker and crew.. who are going to be an escape or maybe a way to the fold to take it down.

7: Dammit!
    Cliffhanger! Noooo!

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    7: Dammit!
    Cliffhanger! Noooo!

And so long to wait til the next episode :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

i enjoyed the first season of this. More buffy than game of thrones with its melodramatic storylines but its an interesting world they've depicted. Only really good from 5th episode on, so is a real slow burn.

Finished! Enjoyable series. Solid work put into the show by all involved. Good intro, plot, character stories and world building.

8: I was
    expecting Alina and Mal to somehow get out. Wasn't sure if they'd push to take down the fold.. although with how the fold was created so easy.. I didn't put it past them. I think they made the right call. Also glad they didn't hide Kirigan surviving.. it was a kinda obvious move when they didn't show him die. I really started gelling to the Nina and Matthias story.. though.. Nina would be clear and easily get through to Matthias for most of the series but then it felt like maybe the storywriters hide a log-jam for how to divide them and suddenly Nina couldn't communicate with Matthias as easily.. in my head I even started imagining her going all Shakespeare on him "foresooth, hath not the nature of devious machinations intent upon our ingracious detachment" an Matthias just being there like
    :confused:

Future: Would definitely watch more from this world. Assuming
    Season 2 is going to be bringing Nina and Matthias more into the others stories... along with some kind of battle to, at least try, to take down the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only about 5 ep in but really enjoying this. Visually it looks brilliant at times

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 2nd season.

Season 2 releasing on March 16th

Damn Netflix - will have to rewatch the first season again because I don't remember much of what happened

• Advertisement

Advertisement