Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 month old baby killed by dog

• 07-06-2021 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0607/1226428-waterford-baby-death/

RIP to the infant and I would not be able to imagine what the parents and family of the baby will be going through right now.

<snip>
    I have no idea of the circumstances of this tragic death.

I don't believe that dogs can ever be trusted 100% especially around babies and children and that is not to say I hate dogs, I do not.

Mod

A reminder to all posters to be respectful and use some common sense. This is a horrible tragic event and those closest to it could potentially read some of these comments.

There will be zero tolerance on baseless speculation

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Saw that story l earlier alright and it gave me a chill.

I've a 15 month old, a 1 month old and two medium sized dogs.

We try to be careful with them, but this sad story really underlines it for me.

So sad. I don't know how you'd cope with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Tragic, R.I.P to the child.

Comments about the general lack of responsibility from as the OP puts it the majority of dog owners are inaccurate and unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭archfi

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Tragic, R.I.P to the child.

Comments about the general lack of responsibility from as the OP puts it the majority of dog owners are inaccurate and unhelpful.
    Yeah, I'll strike out the 'majority' bit in my post as you're right, I simply couldn't know that (even though I put IMO there)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Very sad but no reason for knee jerk reactions.

The number of children killed by dogs is miniscule, and whilst one is one too many, you could argue against cars being on the road as a lot more are killed in road accidents.

I think we have 3 cases in the last ten years, but because it attracts a lot of media attention, it can seem to be a lot more.

So let's stop scaremongering or in the case of one poster jumping to conclusions on a party. ( Utterly ridiculous)

This is a very sad time for the extended family.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

With some breeds 100% supervision would still be pointless. They could do enough damage in the moments it would take to react to easily kill a child. Nevermind a three month old.

Think people are crazy personally to mix dogs with children but my thoughts are irrelevant really.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,582 ✭✭✭✭walshb

lawred2 wrote: »
    With some breeds 100% supervision would still be a pointless. They could do enough damage in the moments it would take to react to easily kill a child. Nevermind a three month old.

Think people are crazy personally to mix dogs with children but my thoughts are irrelevant really.

RIP

Yes. Even with supervision, the bigger and more powerful the dog, it can do so much damage so quickly, and to stop it would take real effort..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Poor little mite, may she rest in peace.

Do we really need a thread for this when the poor little child isn't even gone 12 hours..

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    Do we really need a thread for this when the poor little child isn't even gone 12 hours..

It wouldn't be a current affair if the thread was created later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Agreed. We all know it will descend into bickering about dangerous dogs shortly.

Rip little one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Sadly it reminds me of the case of a week old baby killed by the family jack Russell a few years back in the U.K. Unfortunately the size of dog doesn't really matter. R.I.P. Both babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

In my opinion the dog owner is responsible for the dogs actions. If the dog kills then that is manslaughter every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

RIP kid, you got no chance at living at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

A reminder to all posters to be respectful and use some common sense. This is a horrible tragic event and those closest to it could potentially read some of these comments.
    walshb wrote: »
    I hope to god this wasn’t some party buzz

Shouldnt have to say this but there will be zero tolerance on baseless speculation

Its in the news, it's going to be discussed. If you dont wish to participate then best to give the thread a miss
    We all know it will descend into bickering about dangerous dogs shortly

No, it won't

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hard to hear news like this.
    Poor child. Terrible way to die.

Family must be in total shock. Hope they find the strength to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭spakman

In my opinion the dog owner is responsible for the dogs actions. If the dog kills then that is manslaughter every time.

If the dog kills it's owner, is it suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

spakman wrote: »
    If the dog kills it's owner, is it suicide?

Probably not. Just stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RIP to the little angel.

Horrific news.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Very tragic. RIP little one

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I wonder what breed it was. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in any reports yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

archfi wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0607/1226428-waterford-baby-death/

RIP to the infant and I would not be able to imagine what the parents and family of the baby will be going through right now.

No doubt, this will reignite the general debate about having dogs and children in close proximity and the general lack of responsibility some dog owners have - ie, no training of dogs and indeed kids in how to behave around dogs.
    I have no idea of the circumstances of this tragic death.

I don't believe that dogs can ever be trusted 100% especially around babies and children and that is not to say I hate dogs, I do not.

Just an awful Tragedy, words escape me. RIP and condolences to the family involved.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

grassylawn wrote: »
    I wonder what breed it was. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in any reports yet.

Doesn't really matter, any breed of dog could seriously injure a sleeping little baby even without intending to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

This little baby girls death is such a horrible awful event to hear about. I’m so sorry for the baby and family. I’ve never been easy with the idea of dogs and babies being in close proximity. There’s just no way of knowing if anything will go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

RIP little angle. Heart broken reading that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You’re certainly right to always supervise the dog around infants - if you look at the list of fatal dog attacks in the UK, for instance, a number relate to very small infants.
    I know a lot of factors come into play but it’s not worth taking any risks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom

That link is chilling reading even though death from dog attacks are pretty rare. This case stood out as the neighbour reported the dog, police seized it but then returned it and it then went on to kill him a week later
    Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England – Victim and his smaller pet dog were attacked when his neighbour's five-year-old dog got out of its pen. Two months prior, victim reported the dog to the council, fearing it was a pit bull terrier and might attack. Police seized the dog but returned it to its owner a week before the fatal attack after deciding it was not a banned breed per Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. Victim suffered a sustained attacked and the dog was still mauling him when police arrived. The dog's owner was jailed for 10 years after he was convicted of owning a dog dangerously out of control causing injury resulting in death. He had failed to comply with an order to muzzle and restrain the dog, which had a history of attacking neighbours

There is also two recent cases there of dog owners having epileptic seizures and their dog attacking them during it. In one case the dog, a staffy bull terrier, was later found to have cocaine and morphine in its system.

A common thread through a good few cases is the dog had bitten humans or attacked other dogs/cats before going on to kill someone. Owners seemed oblivious to the warning signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Such a tragic case , you just can't be to careful around animals . A friend of mine had a rottweiler, when the baby came along everytime the rottweiler was around the baby it's hair used to stand up on its back . So he had to get rid of the dog , you just can't take the risk . You see idiots on YouTube filming there babies pulling out dogs thinking it's hilarious or cute. Some people need their heads examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Very sad story, can't imagine what are parents of the baby coming through right now.

Always had a dog in my life, love them and if they are raised right and with love, they give it back and become part of the family.

This is very old pic of my doggie and my older son, never had to be afraid to leave them two alone.

dav.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

R.I.P must be a terrible time for the family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't know anything about this current case.

I frequently see Tiktok videos of people 'introducing' their babies to the dog. Followed by montages of both curled up together asleep, rolling on the floor playing etc..

Without any hint of hyperbole, I think there is a role for social services to investigate in these instances. There is no safe dog when it comes to helpless infants. The guardians of the children are doing then a great disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Very sad story, can't imagine what are parents of the baby coming through right now.

Always had a dog in my life, love them and if they are raised right and with love, they give it back and become part of the family.

This is very old pic of my doggie and my older son, never had to be afraid to leave them two alone.

dav.jpg

More fool you...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement