Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beer and Food Intolerances

Options
  • 07-06-2021 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

I recently went for food intolerance testing and the results indicated high intolerance to barley, wheat and yeast.
    On what little I know that means I can't have beer and wine but the man in the clinic indicated that clear spirits are an alternative.

But I recall hearing that lambic beers are made without yeast, does anybody here have any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

I recently went for food intolerance testing and the results indicated high intolerance to barley, wheat and yeast.
    On what little I know that means I can't have beer and wine but the man in the clinic indicated that clear spirits are an alternative.

But I recall hearing that lambic beers are made without yeast, does anybody here have any experience with this?

I too have an intolerance to barley, wheat and yeast. As does everyone else I know whose had that test done. Its a farce. I'd take those results with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Rmgblue wrote: »
    I too have an intolerance to barley, wheat and yeast. As does everyone else I know whose had that test done. Its a farce. I'd take those results with a pinch of salt.

Really? Did you find that avoiding them changed anything?
    I was going to stick to the plan to avoid them to see if the autoimmune reactions improved

Really? Did you find that avoiding them changed anything?
    I was going to stick to the plan to avoid them to see if the autoimmune reactions improved

You can cut it out and see for yourself if you like... But won't you feel great once you cut alcohol out altogether anyway? Its a tough one. But there was very little left on the list of what I didn't have an intolerance to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Can i ask where one would go to get this done?
    Go to your gp first is it?

You can cut it out and see for yourself if you like... But won't you feel great once you cut alcohol out altogether anyway? Its a tough one. But there was very little left on the list of what I didn't have an intolerance to.

Yeah that's definitely the catch, especially with junk. But some of the intolerances I apparently have are for foods that you wouldn't classify as junk so that's why I thought it could be a penny drop moment.
    I still have some scepticism mind you.

• Advertisement

Can i ask where one would go to get this done?
    Go to your gp first is it?

No there's a man in Dublin City who does it.
    He doesn't have the title of 'doctor' and I doubt a gp would refer you because it does not tow the line with Western medicine.

It's expensive mind you.

Yeah that's definitely the catch, especially with junk. But some of the intolerances I apparently have are for foods that you wouldn't classify as junk so that's why I thought it could be a penny drop moment.
    I still have some scepticism mind you.

Yea! Same! I have an intolerance with strawberries. Never had any issue so that was the one that made my mind up for me.

Yea! Same! I have an intolerance with strawberries. Never had any issue so that was the one that made my mind up for me.

I wonder if it boils down to what we consider 'an issue'.
    I mean it could be easy to disregard intolerance to the ingredients of an alcoholic drink because everyone expects there to be some degree of discomfort as our bodies deal with the alcohol.
    When it could be the case that some peoples hangovers are greatly worsened because of a wheat intolerance for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A lot of these intolerance tests are nonsense. And I have food intolerances - mainly wheat.

If you feel you have issues with some foods the only reliable method - and the one a gp would use - is elimination diet. Stop eating wheat (that is one of the main offenders) in all its forms, bread, cakes, sausages, loads of things, you have to get used to reading the packet ingredients list. Even crispy fries are often coated in wheat. Beer is the least of them. After a couple of weeks see how you feel. If you feel noticeably better try going back onto it for a few days, you will soon know if wheat is the problem. Then try omitting barley and so on.

Just giving up beer will prove nothing, there are many more sources of wheat, barley and yeast than beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They don't have beer yeast added but will been fermented with wild yeast instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Lambic beers are made with a mixed culture of microflora from the immediate vicinity of the brewery. That mixed culture does include yeast, along with a spread of other bacteria.

They are also made with barley and possibly wheat in some cases. There are some beers out there that are made with cereals that do not contain gluten, and there are products out their (polyclar to name one of them) that can extract gluten from the beverage to take it below 20ppm which allows it to be called gluten free.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

I'd apply a huge pinch of salt to that test. I have a severe allergy to shellfish - we're talking anaphylaxis. It happened me once and it was really scary. I had one of these tests done and according to the results I have no issues with shellfish. So, it might be better just to cut out foods, one at a time, to see what is causing your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Everyone I know who's done an allergy test turns out to have intolerances to wheat, barley, dairy and red meat.

looksee wrote: »
    A lot of these intolerance tests are nonsense.
    Just giving up beer will prove nothing, there are many more sources of wheat, barley and yeast than beer.

Beer is the only thing I was consuming with those ingredients so I'm just experimenting with elimination.

I was just hoping there would be a suitable beer on the market before I migrated to clear spirits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IgG tests done by 'food intolerance clinics' are harmful nonsense. If this is what you got done, ignore it and go talk to a real doctor.

L1011 wrote: »
    IgG tests done by 'food intolerance clinics' are harmful nonsense. If this is what you got done, ignore it and go talk to a real doctor.

It is, but what's harmful about it? I went to a 'real' doctor and he said he didn't know what causes autoimmune disorders like psoriasis and arthritis. His solution was a prescription for drugs to suppress my immune system. That sounds infinitely more harmful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is, but what's harmful about it? I went to a 'real' doctor and he said he didn't know what causes autoimmune disorders like psoriasis and arthritis. His solution was a prescription for drugs to suppress my immune system. That sounds infinitely more harmful.

What you've been told is a pack of pseudoscientific gubbins that will make you chase a dietary change that likely doesn't exist to "fix" something. You'll never find the supposed working diet because the test has given you false data and certainly nothing that could possibly help with autoimmune illnesses.

IgG tests by those clinics should be banned. Robbing people to give them false hope.

L1011 wrote: »
    What you've been told is a pack of pseudoscientific gubbins that will make you chase a dietary change that likely doesn't exist to "fix" something. You'll never find the supposed working diet because the test has given you false data and certainly nothing that could possibly help with autoimmune illnesses.

IgG tests by those clinics should be banned. Robbing people to give them false hope.
    What's your expertise to know that it is pseudoscientific gubbins?

Regardless of expertise his message rings through. Those tests are nonsense. Another poster explained a more reliable process where you removed certain foods before reintroducing them again to narrow down a cause. It's your best option. But of course you could follow the 'doctor' who ticked the boxes for you

Any knowledge of what they are looking for is sufficient to know that they don't do what they pretend to do.

You'll have trouble finding any actual scientific basis claimed on the sites of the providers of this guff, because there is absolutely no basis to it.

Basically - they show a marker response that has absolutely nothing to do with intolerance at all - indeed, in many cases, all it shows is that you've eaten it recently.

I'd go asking for your money back before making any dietary changes. You've been hoodwinked. Food is not causing your arthritis, you aren't intolerant to the other stuff the charlatans have told you about either.

Take ten minutes just to try find any reputable body recommending IgG testing. You won't find one. You'll find plenty telling you its nonsense though

https://www.aaaai.org/Tools-for-the-Public/Conditions-Library/Allergies/IgG-food-test
    "It is important to understand that this test has never been scientifically proven to be able to accomplish what it reports to do. The scientific studies that are provided to support the use of this test are often out of date, in non-reputable journals and many have not even used the IgG test in question. The presence of IgG is likely a normal response of the immune system to exposure to food."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Think we'll it there folks, this discussion is way outside the realm of booze chat. Happy to move it to one of the health forums if requested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement