Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home built fixie not using an off the shelf fixie hub

Options
  • 06-06-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there is much interest in this type of stuff here but I said I'd just throw up a quick post about a fixie I built about 10 years ago.

At the time everything fixie related was expensive (scene tax - probably still the case although maybe not as bad now) and I was trying to built this bike on the cheapest budget I could do it for.

I did want a clean and straight frame though so started with a Ribble frame non fixed frame which I bought cheap with the forks from some sale they had at the time from memory I think it was about 90 quid. It was a weird size - it had a small seat tube length vs a long top tube length hence why I have that ugly set up with the high stack and the stem turned upside down to reach similar set up to my road bike.

LBTHHkC.jpg?1

I bought the crankset new as well just to have the right type. Went with a 48 tooth based on the internet wisdom.

The rear hub was where I wanted to do the DIY thing.I had just got a milling machine and lathe and was looking for a first project so I did this as a proof of concept type of thing. So it does look experimental and maybe a bit bulky, but I haven't had to take it off since so it works OK. :)

I started with a 20mm through axle mountain bike front hub that had a 6 bolt disc fitting.
    I drilled the 16 tooth sprocket to bolt onto the disc mount (with the hub turned the "wrong" way around obviously). I then built the hub into an old wheel I got - using the spokes and Mavic Open Pro rim and spokes and building these up onto the Mountain bike hub. I built if with the correct offset to align the sprocket with the chain-set for a straight chain line.

FdXWguU.jpg?1

The front and rear adjustment for chain tension and is taken care of by the screws - I'm actually struggling to remember exactly how I mounted the axle into the end pieces - but the screws in front and behind adjust it forward and backwards - I must rip it up again and take some pictures.

pS17Kzv.jpg?1

It doesn't get a huge amount of use but I do take it on a training spin every so often.Really feels like you have done double the mileage when you use it and kind of satisfying to know that you've never stopped pedalling on the spin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Love these sorts of builds.

If you've any pictures of the fabrication process, throw them up

Loving the blue rim/tyre combination there !!! What rims are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

cletus wrote: »
    Love these sorts of builds.

If you've any pictures of the fabrication process, throw them up

Thanks. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the fabrication process but I'll dismantle it and take some pics of what is done. Need to do that to remind myself anyway it's been so long. Thinking about it actually it is more than 10 years ago - more like 12 or 13 I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Loving the blue rim/tyre combination there !!! What rims are they?

Mavic Open Pro, they were the go-to rim (along with the GP4) back in the late '80's early '90's I think before the prebuilt Mavic type stuff got popular.

Advertisement