Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used car

• 06-06-2021 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All, first time poster. I'm in the market for a "new" used car, and have whittled it down to 2.
    Could any posters give me their opinions between a 2016 2lt insignia and a 2014 1.6lt mondeo.
    Both diesel, 30k more miles on the mondeo.

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Trigger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A few more details might help in forming an opinion.

Mileage of the cars, specs, price, NCT, etc.

Might be handier to link to the ads if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Get a 2.0l Mondeo, the 1.6l is too underpowered for the size and weight of the car. Massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Trigger4882

Sorry, can't post pictures or links because I'm a new member here.

2014 Mondeo TDCI eco zetec, has130k miles, mot Aug 21

2016 Insignia Sri, has 74k miles, mot march 22

Sorry, can't post pictures or links because I'm a new member here.

2014 Mondeo TDCI eco zetec, has130k miles, mot Aug 21

2016 Insignia Sri, has 74k miles, mot march 22

Sorry, I forgot about that rule :)

Are they similar pricewise?

Also are they imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mot? Are you in the UK? How did you arrive at those 2 models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

Skoda Superb or Volkswagen Passat would be a better option imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Don't touch an insignia with a bargepole. Nothing but trouble.

Hi, yes both around the same money, both registered in the North, I'm living in the south but won't need to re register the car

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Don't touch an insignia with a bargepole. Nothing but trouble.

That's really only true of the pre-facelift first generation models. The refreshed model from 2014 onwards is as reliable as any of it's contemporaries.

Hi, yes both around the same money, both registered in the North, I'm living in the south but won't need to re register the car

The reason they are both the same price is that as you can see from other posters the Insignia is not as well thought of.

Also you might be better to get a second opinion on driving an NI registered car while living in ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 iBaxter

Hi All, first time poster. I'm in the market for a "new" used car, and have whittled it down to 2.
    Could any posters give me their opinions between a 2016 2lt insignia and a 2014 1.6lt mondeo.
    Both diesel, 30k more miles on the mondeo.

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Trigger

Came across this Skoda Superb, low mileage one owner, reasonable price, not sure if its manual or auto but might be of interest to you and maybe worth a look.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-skoda-superb-ambition/28342912

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

iBaxter wrote: »
    Came across this Skoda Superb, low mileage one owner, reasonable price, not sure if its manual or auto but might be of interest to you and maybe worth a look.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-skoda-superb-ambition/28342912

Automatic (DSG).

Lovely car but unfortunately way out of my price range, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iBaxter

Lovely car but unfortunately way out of my price range, thanks anyway

No problems , I think its an imported car anyway, another one which I came across is a Mondeo with low mileage for under €10K, maybe it would suit you.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2014-ford-mondeo-1-6-tdci-free-2-yr-warranty/28316126

Cheers,

Best of luck finding a car.

Advertisement