Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental four seasons rubbish

• 06-06-2021 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Bloody fuming. After getting rid of conti gp 5000s as they were about as durable as toilet paper, I bought a set of 4 seasons.

They were great up to now. One of the sidewalls has burst on it. I honestly will never buy another continental tyre again

Anything else decent, durable yet fast 28/32s in a road bike tyre please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

See here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of mileage on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have GP5000’s on two bikes... I think they’re a great tyre. Never had any issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Have had many conti tyres (abeit tubular) split at the sidewall like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah bollocks, you jinxed me. just copped my own front tyre (not continental!) is starting to delaminate.

555147.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The sidewalls are the weak point in Conti tyres but that's what gives the beautiful ride quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Specialized Roubaix 30/32

Excellent tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The sidewalls are the weak point in Conti tyres but that's what gives the beautiful ride quality.

I’ve had two Gp4000 in my bike life & one blew halfway through a threshold interval, never again.

My current brand rarely puncture with no blowouts ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

dahat wrote: »
    I’ve had two Gp4000 in my bike life & one blew halfway through a threshold interval, never again.

My current brand rarely puncture with no blowouts ever.

Don't keep us hanging, come on, blurt it out. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Don't keep us hanging, come on, blurt it out. Lol

Tufo calibra plus, not seen many here use them.

• Advertisement

what sort of mileage on them?

Very little. Nearly brand new.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I have GP5000’s on two bikes... I think they’re a great tyre. Never had any issues with them.

I gave my set away on here for free. They were dirt. Rolled lovely and were fast but no durability in them and were a pig to get on and off.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    See here

Can you get tyres repaired?

Very little. Nearly brand new.
    Refund?

Refund?
    The damage could have been caused by sharp debris rather than a fault.

Refund?

Yeah I got them online and I've emailed them about the issue.

I gave up on Contis a few years ago after multiple punctures/side wall damage. However, I decided to give them another go and in recent days fitted a pair of GP4000's to one bike and 4 Seasons to another. I have been using Durano Plus with hardly any punctures for the past few years but they are very 'dead' to ride on. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Contis this time around.

(I've probably just jinxed myself now!).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I gave my set away on here for free. They were dirt. Rolled lovely and were fast but no durability in them and were a pig to get on and off.

I love Schwalbe but they are a nightmare to change. Keep ripping the hand off myself

i bought a secondhand pair of GP4000s off Cram and got good use out of them; sold them on with a bike so they're with their (at least) third boardsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

My rear gp4000 sidewall split around 3000km ago. I put a puncture patch on the inside of the tyre as a fix. It’s been grand since.....I probably should replace it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

saccades wrote: »
    Specialized Roubaix 30/32

Excellent tyre.

Armadillo. If you're not racing puncture protection > negligible speed gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

dahat wrote: »
    Tufo calibra plus, not seen many here use them.

Nice tyres and good value usually

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Michelin pro 4 endurance for training for me, nice balance between puncture protection and speed.
    You just fant get a fast tyre that doesnt compromise on puncture protection op i think thats just unlucky.

the tyre i posted above i've been very happy with; hutchinson fusion 5, bought in sept 2018 i think. they have the tubeless ready version for under €25 in decathlon IIRC.

My rear gp4000 sidewall split around 3000km ago. I put a puncture patch on the inside of the tyre as a fix. It’s been grand since.....I probably should replace it

Thanks for that. I gave it a shot. Ill see how it goes. Buried a load of glue into it and stuck a load of patches on it.

Tried the patch job. No luck. I have a set of halfords bike hut 35c there. I might just throw them on and see how I go. I'm sick of spending mad money on tyres that don't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I love Schwalbe but they are a nightmare to change. Keep ripping the hand off myself

I just got my first flat on the back wheel of my Giant Quick-e bike The tires (tyres) are Schwalbe G-Ones. According to the technician that fixed it, they are not great on durability, and the walls seem very thin and dried out. Still, I have 2300 km on them, can't complain. I had the tube changed and kept the tire because the ones I will be getting later weren't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've used Michelin Pro4s for years. Never any issues. Yes they get a few nicks and the odd puncture but they're reliable.

Last year, I decided I'd give GP5000 a whirl. They roll really well and are somewhat quicker than the Michelins. But I'm switching back to Michelins as soon as the GP5000s pop. I don't expect them to wear out - they'll most likely suffer irreparable damage before then.

Every Michelin I've ever used (over 7 years and two bikes) was replaced because they wore out. While I've only being using Contis for just over a year, all have been replaced due to failure/damage/whatever and I accept that the failure may have been caused by whatever was on the road.

But I'm starting to see a trend hence my decision to switch back to Michelin. I've two brand new GP5000s in the shed so maybe they'll influence my decision.

EDIT: The Contis are an absolute ba$tard to mount. The only tyre for me that has ever broken a tyre lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Whatever about using a tyre lever to take a tyre off quickly, don't tell me folks are using levers to put a tyre on!!

HTFU as they say :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

vittoria rubino pros used the for years in their various guises. can be a bit puncture prone (esp thorns) and a nightmare to put on my fulcrum racing 6 tyres (a cinch on bontrager aeolus 5 though). have a control on the back after wearing out one, after about 3000km not the hardest wearing tyre out there !

Advertisement