Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards in 1939

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rawr wrote: »
    There's a lot of buzz coming out from Norway about Norsk Hydro making this stuff called "Heavy Water". I don't understand the fuss. It's water for crying out loud. If you have loads of it, of course it will be "heavy" :rolleyes:
    In a word, bombs.

It's because they make lots of hydrogen there for fertilizer which can be made into explosives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No war can last long now. The terrible consequences of destruction from the air will cause demands on the governments to end it quickly unlike the Great War.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

In a word, bombs.

It's because they make lots of hydrogen there for fertilizer which can be made into explosives.

Bombs?! Poppycock, my good man! POPPYCOCK!

Next you'll tell me this stuff can be used to split atoms and level whole cities. If you had said that I would presume you have been reading one too many Amazing Stories. That stuff will rot your brain!

People will leave cities if they come under air attack. Then airborne troops will take over the capital and take the Government prisoner. A war could be over in a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The bomber will always get through.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

There is nothing to stop them. By the time a fighter plane gets up there, they will be gone. Modern bombers can fly at near 250mph! Almost the same speed as a modern fighter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rawr wrote: »
    Bombs?! Poppycock, my good man! POPPYCOCK!
    Totally true. Electricity and water gives you hydrogen. Hydrogen and nitrogen from the air gives you ammonia. Ammonia and oxygen and you get nitric acid and that's what the explosives are made from. The war to end all wars would have been over a lot sooner if the Germans hadn't been able to do that.

Next you'll tell me this stuff can be used to split atoms and level whole cities. If you had said that I would presume you have been reading one too many Amazing Stories. That stuff will rot your brain!
    What ?

I can only assume you mean radium needles and pitchblende and why would you need a bomb when that stuff is nasty all by itself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

saabsaab wrote: »
    There is nothing to stop them. By the time a fighter plane gets up there, they will be gone. Modern bombers can fly at near 250mph! Almost the same speed as a modern fighter.

Aye, going to be hard to catch the fast twin engine bombers in one of these... what we have in No. 1 Fighter Squadron at Baldonnel.

Gloster_Gladiator.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i hear a ship was turned away from Cuba the other day, carrying 937 jews from Germany

i hear a ship was turned away from Cuba the other day, carrying 937 jews from Germany

Nobody wants them. Killing Christ is a black mark against their race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

saabsaab wrote: »
    Nobody wants them. Killing Christ is a black mark against their race.

Technically, it was the Romans who did it

branie2 wrote: »
    Technically, it was the Romans who did it

True but they turned him in. I'm sure Mussolini is a good Catholic and will listen to the new Pope Pius.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Sure the Yanks will take them, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Alexander Korda made a film about this a few years back, may we never see bomber fleets over Ireland.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Things_to_Come

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

"Beer Barrel Polka" by Will Glahe is some song. Well deserved to get to Number One!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Chapman, during his biochemistry days at Munich, had spent years examining and cataloguing all the human glands. He designated each according to a letter of the alphabet, and when he had them all isolated and labelled, he settled down to write a minute medical monograph on each one of them. Gland A, gland B, gland C-Chapman’s scholarly dossiers accumulated. Keats looked in to see him one day and found him apparently stumped. One of the glands would not yield to the experiment.

‘What’s the trouble?’ Keats said.

‘This gland N,’ Chapman replied, ‘is giving me a lot of trouble. But I’m going to keep after it. I won’t let it beat me. I’ll win yet.’

‘That’s the spirit,’ Keats said. Then he began to potter about the place, whistling some tune. Chapman pricked up his ears.

What’s that you’re whistling?’ he asked.

‘Wir fahren gegen N-gland,’ Keats said.

Chapman suddenly swallowed some medical potion he had been working at.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Reviews of The Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind, which premiered that year.

The merits of the new fangled modernist architecture and Frank Lloyd Wright in particular.

The price of porter.

A friend of a Galway fisherman told me that German U-Boats have a base off the Aran Islands! It can't be found easily as it is disguised as a rocky outcrop. They have food, munitions and fuel stored there for emergencies.

The same fella told me that foreign birdwatchers are really spies taking photographs for an invasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

I stand corrected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I see that the ship MS St. Louis, carrying 907 Jewish refugees from Europe, has begun sailing back, Yanks, Cubans and Canadians refused to let them stay.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

My post in Boards in early 1939 might be:

"What do ye think of this Hitler guy? Is he just all talk?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

How many of ye were at the parish mission in [town] last week and how often did ye go?

There was a black man in the village today! Over with a circus from England. The caravan stopped outside Biddy's Post Office-Travel Agent-Groceriies-Licensed Premises-Operating Theatre-&-Fun Emporium and in he walked with another fella to ask for directions to Youghal. Poor Biddy.. she was so taken aback, she blurted out the directions to Killarney by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Up Donegal wrote: »
    How many of ye were at the parish mission in [town] last week and how often did ye go?

Anything less than every morning and evening would be sinful, the priest might name you as a heathen from the altar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I see that the ship MS St. Louis, carrying 907 Jewish refugees from Europe, has begun sailing back, Yanks, Cubans and Canadians refused to let them stay.

They’ll be safer at home

Up Donegal wrote: »

Lovely ceremony!

There was a black man in the village today! Over with a circus from England. The caravan stopped outside Biddy's Post Office-Travel Agent-Groceriies-Licensed Premises-Operating Theatre-&-Fun Emporium and in he walked with another fella to ask for directions to Youghal. Poor Biddy.. she was so taken aback, she blurted out the directions to Killarney by accident.

Nice to have a bit of diversity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

You forgot to tell the bit about her forgetting to buy fags for her Da. She got a proper talking to from that, didn't she?

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Nice to have a bit of diversity

What's that?

Advertisement