Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish drama series.

• 05-06-2021 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭

Following on from forgotten Irish sitcoms, any Irish produced or set drama series that wasnt a comedy that's been forgotten. When Reason Sleeps, a four part anthology from 1987 of supernatural tinged stories, co production with Channel 4. Never repeated or received a home media release as far as I know. Two of the episodes are on YouTube, Fear Of The Dark and the Scar. A very rare foray for RTE into horror, makes you wish theyd done more stuff like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

On Home Ground. RTEs short lived replacement for Glenroe on the Sunday night slot, lasted one series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Big Bow Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On Home Ground. RTEs short lived replacement for Glenroe on the Sunday night slot, lasted one series.

Dominique McElligott played the tomboy daughter footballer in that... now starring in major US series The Boys.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Love Is The Drug’ and ‘Pure Mule’.

The tide is turning…

The Big Bow Wow.

To RTE drama what Extra Extra was to comedy. The bould Eoghan Harris was one of the script writers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Inside (1985)
    Set in a prison. Obnoxiously bad with future Fair City actors.

Inside (1985)
    Set in a prison. Obnoxiously bad with future Fair City actors.

I vaguely remember that, got very negative reviews.

Rebel Heart, 2001 series set around 1916 to war of independence.
    First episode I remember doing a great job of showing the 1916 Battle of Mount Street Bridge.
    (Miles ahead of the recent Rebellion series)

Quirke... detective series starring Gabriel Byrne set in the 1950s. Thought there was potential for a great series there but they threw in way too many anachronistic characters and behaviour. Should have had the confidence to be of the time instead of viewing everything through a modern prism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

‘Love Is The Drug’ and ‘Pure Mule’.

Pure Mule is hardly forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Rebel Heart, 2001 series set around 1916 to war of independence.
    First episode I remember doing a great job of showing the 1916 Battle of Mount Street Bridge.
    (Miles ahead of the recent Rebellion series)

Quirke... detective series starring Gabriel Byrne set in the 1950s. Thought there was potential for a great series there but they threw in way too many anachronistic characters and behaviour. Should have had the confidence to be of the time instead of viewing everything through a modern prism.

I dont remember Rebel Heart, is it available anywhere i wonder?

• Advertisement

Definately got a second series if I recall. Was woeful stuff.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dominique McElligott played the tomboy daughter footballer in that... now starring in major US series The Boys.

She was in another series with Colm Meaney a few years back set in the time of the building of the railways in the US. Can't remember the name but it was decent.

She was in another series with Colm Meaney a few years back set in the time of the building of the railways in the US. Can't remember the name but it was decent.

Hell on Wheels.
    There were a couple of Irish brothers iirc trying their hands at any angle they could.
    Started well then thought it went a bit 'off track' in middle... round about the time she exited the seried

The lead Anson Mount also popped up as Captain Pike in latest Star Trek series

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Hell on wheels.

Making The Cut and its followup DDU, Sean McGinley in a detective series set in Waterford, late 90s.

RTE did plenty one-off dramas in the 1970s & early 1980s.

The Greening Of America was written by Eoghan Harris. US satire with blackface, 1976

196291326_10165528435080089_7579644143729332345_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=TaObK4dEXBsAX_GmvFi&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f07f3d6e76dbccfeb89a5bd995bc0159&oe=60E18042

This has been posted before but is a good documentary on RTE's drama over the years. Broadcast as part of the RTE 40 celebrations in 2002. Includes a clip from The Burke Enigma (I barely remember a few scenes), a production that languishes in the archives and will probably never come out.

RTE did plenty one-off dramas in the 1970s & early 1980s.

The Greening Of America was written by Eoghan Harris. US satire with blackface, 1976

196291326_10165528435080089_7579644143729332345_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=TaObK4dEXBsAX_GmvFi&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f07f3d6e76dbccfeb89a5bd995bc0159&oe=60E18042

Was that anything to do with the book of the same name by Charles A Reich? Was the blackface done in a knowing, ironic way or was it a case of these were literally depicting black characters and there were no real black actors in Ireland of the 70s?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Remember one from when I was very young called The Price think John Kavanagh was in it. Older brother used to watch it.

Remember one from when I was very young called The Price think John Kavanagh was in it. Older brother used to watch it.

That was excellent and came out on DVD a while ago

• Advertisement

Was that anything to do with the book of the same name by Charles A Reich? Was the blackface done in a knowing, ironic way or was it a case of these were literally depicting black characters and there were no real black actors in Ireland of the 70s?

I think it was loosely based on it but Harris wrote / adapted the script. Someone I know had an off-air VHS copy years ago and I caught some of it - as far as I remember it was quite OTT and obviously satirical. Hard to tell on the blackface - back then the BBC were still running The Black & White Minstrel Show without any trace of irony.

Eugene McCabe's trilogy on The Troubles - Cancer, Heritage & Siege. We saw one of them in school. He died last year, wonder if RTE repeated any of them?

EDIT - Cancer is on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I dont remember Rebel Heart, is it available anywhere i wonder?

Rebel Heart was made by the BBC,only available on VHS now on Amazon for a ridiculous price.

Picture of 'On Home Ground' cast. Unfortunately Amy's career didn't go the same way of this show

000c7baa-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mid 80s, Charlie from Casualty as an IRA kidnapper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The Hanging Gale, McGann brothers fighting off English landlord in Ramelton in the 1800s

Two on TV3 around 2009/10.

The Guards, not sure if this was made into a full series, there was a pilot episode. From the clips I saw of it online it looked pretty riseable.

Jack Taylor, starring Ian Glenn. This was supposed to be set in Galway but from what I saw of it the setting was very vague. Dont think it lasted long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Not really a series, but watching the Barrytown thing RTE have been showing recently reminded me of 'Family'.
    I remember it being powerful stuff at the time, I'd definitely give it a watch if they ever played it again.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Not really a series, but watching the Barrytown thing RTE have been showing recently reminded me of 'Family'.
    I remember it being powerful stuff at the time, I'd definitely give it a watch if they ever played it again.

The episodes are all on Youtube. Sean McGinley was superb as Charlo, a right evil bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Proof and Proof 2 from approximately 20 years ago on RTE. I believe it was about a journalist investigating corruption.

The Clinic, which was set in a posh Southside private hospital.

The Treaty, which starred a young Brendan Gleeson as Michael Collins

Advertisement