Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any pics? Malcom Reed on youtube has a decent video on them.

In the what I had for dinner thread.

It doesn’t take long at all. Took like an hour at 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

awec wrote: »
    Any suggestions for things to try that can be done in 3-4 hours? Other than ribs.

If you have a few pound a roast of prime rib (as they say in the states) is one of the best things you can bbq in a couple of hours.

budgemook wrote: »
    If you have a few pound a roast of prime rib (as they say in the states) is one of the best things you can bbq in a couple of hours.

I tried short rib before. It’s ok. Beef ribs aren’t my cup of tea, they’re more like a Sunday roast than dirty bbq food.

awec wrote: »
    I tried short rib before. It’s ok. Beef ribs aren’t my cup of tea, they’re more like a Sunday roast than dirty bbq food.

No no, not short ribs (which I love but take all day), rib roast on the bone. Probably not what you want though based on your Sunday roast comment 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think I’ll attempt a Peking-style duck today. Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I think I’ll attempt a Peking-style duck today. Wish me luck!

you have to put up photos

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hargo wrote: »
    Personally I think ribs are over rated here for the amount of eating on them. As an alternative what I do is the whole belly of pork slow.
    I go for pork belly slices in tesco, you can sift through packs to see one with good fat distrubution.

Musgraves do frozen ribs cheap if you can get an account number to use. I saw one brand mentioned on a UK BBQ forum and said they were good, better than fresh ones from their butchers. Most supermarket ribs I got had terrible meat content, while some Chinese takeaways can have loads.

The are 10kg packs though, but about 4.25-5euro per kilo depending on brand. I think they were Spanish, maybe French. Musgraves also have lots of large slabs of meat really cheap which would be a good showpiece if you had a good few around. Like really long pork bellies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I picked up pork ribs from FXB - I think 13 euro, although I can't recall the weight. There was definitely ample meat on them, as these things go. I'd definitely be pretty confident going with one of the upmarket butcher suppliers should get something superior to supermarket ribs.

I rubbed them, then baked indirect at 150 for a few hours, then slathered in BBQ sauce and finished off at a high direct heat. The Pitt Cue Co method is to do them much lower, at 105, for several hours at the indirect heat but here I do weigh up the time invested relative to the amount of finished product and usually find ribs are a poorer economy than a different cut. I think a fast couple of hours at 150 is more tolerable.

On the subject of fast cooks I also wonder about trying the "fast and hot" approach to briskets that we see championed in the U.S now in some quarters. As I've said before I really wonder does the access they have to seriously thick and fatty brisket help with this kind of approach. I fear if we did that with a slender high welfare grass-fed Irish brisket we'd end up with something pretty rubbery.

---

At the weekend did a fair bit of cooking:-

Aimsir garden on Saturday.

The salads and flat breads were absolutely top notch, highly recommend. The meat options I was a bit underwhelmed by, although in fairness price-wise they were not megabucks.

High welfare heritage sausage coil - I think about 7 euro. Was tasty but unremarkable compared to comparable high end butcher products.
    Chicken yakitori skewers - Likewise. Couldn't fault them but maybe it's hard for them to elevate something like this to levels people associate with Aimsir.
    Pork jowl - This was about 16 euro and probably our own fault. We were expecting a centrepiece, this whisky-glazed marinaded piece of pork... But it transpires that pork jowl is 90%+ fat. It's meant to be like lardo, a kind of melt in your mouth type of fat you might want to eat. Except neither of us did, really. Only a tiny, tiny piece of pork cheek underneath all the fat. I guess our misunderstanding!

On Sunday bought a tomahawk in SuperValu, a little over 1kg for about 12 euro, was great value. I rubbed it, wrapped it, and reverse seared. It was sensational. Sometimes you get lucky with a piece of supermarket meat, I couldn't fault this.

Also mixed up about 1.5kg of beef koftas using a Sarit Packer recipe (From Honey & Co. cookbook). The secret is minced onion and garlic combined with milk-soaked bread. Tasty AF but there is no way to make a beef kofta look elegant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

foodaholic wrote: »
    you have to put up photos

555336.jpg

Here was my process, a combination of a few recipes:

Prep:
    - Separated skin from breast meat (using hands and a chopstick -- I've seen others use compressed air)
    - Poured a kettle of cold water over the duck to tighten the skin
    - Mixed soy sauce, honey and poured over the duck
    - Mixed salt & baking powder and sprinkled over
    - Left to air-dry for 3hrs

Cook:
    325-350F indirect, with drip trays to capture the delicious duck fat
    30mins breast-side up
    45mins breast-side down
    30mins breast-side up

Serve:
    Removed skin and chopped
    Shredded breast and leg meat
    Served with carrots, cucumber, scallions, steamed rice, hoisin sauce

Overall was happy with it. The skin could have been tighter and crispier -- next time I will air-dry for longer (traditional recipes recommend 24hrs at room temperature!). I also cooked two together, but there was actually quite a lot of meat off each duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi All,

I am looking for a garden BBQ, preferably a ceramic one.

I just found this one in Aldi.
    Are they any good?

https://www.aldi.ie/p/710257467649000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We have a dedicated Ceramic BBQ thread on here. I'm going to merge your post in there.

On the Aldi BBQs. They're very small so not suitable for cooking for more than one or two people. I'd also say they'll be all gone by now, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭masterboy123

You're right. They are all gone.

Could you recommend ceramic bbq for 3-4 people, please?
    We have a dedicated Ceramic BBQ thread on here. I'm going to merge your post in there.

On the Aldi BBQs. They're very small so not suitable for cooking for more than one or two people. I'd also say they'll be all gone by now, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

Picked up one in Aldi this morning. Great little job for €99 if cooking for 2 and will enjoy doing some hacks for it over time. My daughter has the Bono Minimo at €399. Its the same size as KJ junior and very suitable for 4 to 5 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

hargo wrote: »
    Picked up one in Aldi this morning. Great little job for €99 if cooking for 2 and will enjoy doing some hacks for it over time. My daughter has the Bono Minimo at €399. Its the same size as KJ junior and very suitable for 4 to 5 people.

Saw a guy in Clontarf this morning with a box on his bike. He must have walked from East Wall but he looked as pleased as punch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dazed909

Hi all, thinking of shelling out for a decent ceramic. I have a question though, I get the versatility of being able to smoke, do long slow cooks etc, but what are ceramic BBQ's like for a more 'traditional' irish BBQ fare of burgers, sausages etc. Both in items of taste / output but also ease of use.

Are they worth it if the main purpose is grilling with just the occasional long slow cook / smoke. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

i haven't actually got a chance to use mine yet but from my endless few weeks of deep diving into youtube it seems they are easy to fire up and get a high heat burger type of situation going.

one thing i will say is you can spend a ton of money on accessories, thermometers etc so keep that in mind when you are thinking of a price range.

Dazed909 wrote: »
    Hi all, thinking of shelling out for a decent ceramic. I have a question though, I get the versatility of being able to smoke, do long slow cooks etc, but what are ceramic BBQ's like for a more 'traditional' irish BBQ fare of burgers, sausages etc. Both in items of taste / output but also ease of use.

Are they worth it if the main purpose is grilling with just the occasional long slow cook / smoke. Any thoughts?

They are really easy to fire up. I lit mine this evening to cook a few German sausages. There is often a load of charcoal left from the previous cook so you just throw in a starter and give it 30 mins to get hot. The kamado Joe is an amazing grill.

They are really easy to fire up. I lit mine this evening to cook a few German sausages. There is often a load of charcoal left from the previous cook so you just throw in a starter and give it 30 mins to get hot. The kamado Joe is an amazing grill.

Ditto- to add to the OP query taste is all down to the charcoal and wood flavouring you use

Everything about using a kamado is easier and better except wheeling it out of the shed. It almost feels like cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Everything about using a kamado is easier and better except wheeling it out of the shed. It almost feels like cheating.

Tonight:
    - 1kg baby potatoes and 2 pieces of corn cooking indirect with the heat deflector high. After half an hour took them out and placed them in an oven at low temp to keep them warm
    - Removed heat deflector and added half moon iron cast grill. Set up high (gasket height)
    - Bunch of asparagus on the stainless steel grill and onions on the cast iron side and grilled for 15 min or so
    - removed onions, added bacon
    - removed bacon and asparagus lowered cast iron beside coals and grilled smash burgers
    - grilled the corn on the stainless steel grill (still on high position) for a few minutes while burgers were cooking

Fantastic dinner all made in the kamado in about 50-55 minutes total. It does feel like cheating

• Advertisement

Did a rack of spare ribs last night. Much better than the baby backs IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 An tAlbanach

Hi all. So looking at Kamado Bono as seems affordable compared to others. Is the medio suitable for a family of 5 with sporadic entertaining?

Also where can you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭con747

Hi all. So looking at Kamado Bono as seems affordable compared to others. Is the medio suitable for a family of 5 with sporadic entertaining?

Also where can you buy it?

A lot use Higgins https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/manado-bono-charcoal-grill/kamado-bono-media/ That will cook for for up to 10 people.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 An tAlbanach

con747 wrote: »
    A lot use Higgins https://higginsbutchers.ie/shop/manado-bono-charcoal-grill/kamado-bono-media/ That will cook for for up to 10 people.

Thank you. Long waiting times. I found another website but little reviews. I'll probably order from Higgins.

Thank you. Long waiting times. I found another website but little reviews. I'll probably order from Higgins.

They all come dfrom the same supplier, including Higgins. https://bbq4you.eu/ie/ Very decent guy. He has an ad on adverts too

Last weekend porchetta in the kamado

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

One point to keep in mind about ordering the Kamado is that there appear to be supply issues. I ordered early April and have order pushed back multiple times, looking at the end of July now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

Is the grill not a bit small on the kamados? I've a 57cm kettle and an awful lot of the time I'll have coals on half of it and keep the other side for indirect. And if I'm cooking for a couple of people I'll want all that space. Is an 18 inch kamado cooking area not a bit small?

I'd still love one, but I'd be keeping my kettle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The half and half systems are good, in my Bono Grande, if I am doing spuds or similar indirect I often pop them in their foil tray down onto the deflector plate, freeing up the grill above for steaks etc. during the indirect part of a reverse seer so it gives you two decks of indirect and the direct side available for finishing off or cooking fast stuff.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Is the grill not a bit small on the kamados? I've a 57cm kettle and an awful lot of the time I'll have coals on half of it and keep the other side for indirect. And if I'm cooking for a couple of people I'll want all that space. Is an 18 inch kamado cooking area not a bit small?

I'd still love one, but I'd be keeping my kettle too.

It depends. With the kamado you could have the whole grill for indirect cooking, not limiting you to half like in the kettle. Having said that, for direct grilling, it is a smaller grill

Advertisement