Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 6: Azerbaijan GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hopefully vettel can make use of his free choice of tyres to start tomorrow to get a good strategy in.

Start and first lap should be a belter tomorrow, max will want to get the jump on Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

There is a thread for this separate to the race thread .

Can ye take the Lewis stuff over there. It wrecks threads every season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Harika

F2 races were quite messy, but good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Should be an eventful race anyway, bonkers qualifying session.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So just at the end of watching the session now. Is Leclerc still on pole?

Just watched Sky storyline yes he still is good. Hopefully it will be a good race. Can't be as boring as Monaco anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Alonso (the world's worst whinger) is also lashing out after qualifying, a lot more strongly than Max was.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alonso-blasts-rivals-for-driving-over-their-abilities-and-says-its-unfair.X5spE79vhNMvv5p3w6NEv.html
    Fernando Alonso outqualified team mate Esteban Ocon and made it into Q3 in Azerbaijan for the first time ever, but the Spaniard wasn’t entirely happy on Saturday evening, blaming a ‘messy’ stop-start qualifying session on some of his rivals "driving over the possibilities of their car or their abilities".

“It was very chaotic, it was a messy qualifying,” he said. “Four red flags… that was difficult to get into the rhythm on the qualifying pace, on the track improvement, on the grip conditions that you get on Saturday. It’s the same for everybody, so you just try to adapt quicker.

"[It's] unfair probably that the people that crashed, they repair the car and they start in that position tomorrow.

"All the other cars, we are in parc ferme until tomorrow, we cannot touch the car, so why they can change all the parts that they caused the red flag? Maybe one day we are in that position and we take advantage of the rule.

"I think the people need to calm down a little bit and drive 98% in a street circuit because if you crash and you start last in the race, maybe you don't drive over your possibilities.

"And I think today with so many people driving over the possibilities of their car or their abilities."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Alonso (the world's worst whinger) is also lashing out after qualifying, a lot more strongly than Max was.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alonso-blasts-rivals-for-driving-over-their-abilities-and-says-its-unfair.X5spE79vhNMvv5p3w6NEv.html

He isn't wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

There probably should be a penalty of some sort. They are hardly going to use the tires from the accidents and front wings .. one place penalty for each change .

Would probably be fair or something to that affect .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Can I just say, and it's probably been years since this has happened, the top five on the grid are from 5 different teams.

It's great to see the whole grid so mixed up. Will make a great race tomorrow!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This feels like the race where Verstappen and Hamilton wipe each other out into turn 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

flazio wrote: »
    This feels like the race where Verstappen and Hamilton wipe each other out into turn 1

Hamilton on the inside. Max to get around the outside to go Side by side and Collision in turn 2

Think we will have at least 1 red flag and a few safety cars. Although there wasn't even a Yellow flag in Monaco.

Am hoping Sainz wins. If he hasn't stuffed his gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Hamilton on the inside. Max to get around the outside to go Side by side and Collision in turn 2

Good chance that Leclerc and Hamilton touch also. Leclerc’s not going to give an inch into turn 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You'd imagine someone is going to have a lock up and hit a barrier. I'd be surprised if there wasnt a red flag today especially with how turn 15 went in qualifying and practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

both this race an monaco have no place on the F1 calander. all were gona see today is flags. ad the odd overtake on the back straight. its all gona be done in the pits. pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nozebleed wrote: »
    both this race an monaco have no place on the F1 calander. all were gona see today is flags. ad the odd overtake on the back straight. its all gona be done in the pits. pointless.

Well they do have a place because if all the tracks were the same I’d be fairly boring. While I have an issue with this track and the long final straight and how it makes DRS and overtaking a joke, it’s a good track with some interesting sections. And the qualifying yesterday was very exciting.

Overtaking is done in the pits at all races because it’s part of the art of F1 of getting ahead of your opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Other than both being street circuits, Monaco and Baku couldn't be any more different. One is narrow and twisty with no straights or any overtaking zones, the other is massively wide (except for the castle section) with a gigantic flat out main straight. There'll be plenty of overtaking today. And surely drivers need to be challenged, make a mistake and you're in the wall. Not like other circuits with massive run off areas which are much more forgiving of mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Think we will have at least 1 red flag and a few safety cars. Although there wasn't even a Yellow flag in Monaco.

Am hoping Sainz wins. If he hasn't stuffed his gearbox.

Can't see either Ferrari winning. They'll get gobbled up on the main straight by DRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You can also pretty much guarantee a safety car (especially as they’re sponsored now), so the timing of that could’ve decide the race. Hamilton and Ferrari have apparently both sacrificed tyre wear for straight-line speed, so a cheap pit-stop will be very welcomed at any point. But if the RBs are kinder on their tyres, they can perhaps stay out longer and wait for a safety car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MevinLegend

Idiotic comments. This track is up there with the most overtakes every year and they don’t all just happen on the back straight. I don’t know why you would complain about there being safety cars/flags as they make the race more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ferrari are not changing Sainz's gearbox, they changed as much as they could according to Carlos.

• Advertisement

There'll probably be a safety car on the first lap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Think this may be the race when Red Bull can finally have Perez up there alongside Max and as a result can try some new strategies especially with Bottas so far back and unable to help Mercedes.

Fancy Lewis or Max to win with Perez working well as a helping hand in third.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Judging by Hamilton’s sheer delight at being second yesterday I’d be surprised if the Merc is in the running. He’ll need a tow all race.

That RB looks like the fastest car out there. So you’d have to think it’s Max’s to lose.

Having said that. Verstappen and Hamilton did an extra two laps on their race start tyre yesterday. The softs are a pile of ****e here.

With that in mind, I fancy Vettel to score some good points as he’ll get to start on the mediums. Is it a two-stop race if you’re starting on the softs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hamilton has a great chance to lead from the first corner.
    In the F2 race grid positions 2,4,6 all gained on those ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'd like to see both Verstappen and Lewis take eachother out on Turn 1. It might lead to a more exiting race overall.

Either way, my money is on Mazepin to take out two drivers in the first lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Baku is one of the tracks I look forward to the most each year. It has a bit of everything. We get to see a lot of overtaking but with consequences. Like a monaco/monza combo. I don't get the hate this track gets, we have always had great racing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Ted and co really trying to hype this up.

Bookies have Lewis and Max pretty much neck and neck, Perez 16/1 and the rest 50/1+ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I know what you mean, However i like the likes of this track.

Looking at some of the onboard is unreal - there is very little margin for error, no big run-offs to get away with mistakes.

Cool shot of one of the mercs during Lewis' post quali interview.

hkx4h9otzg371.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Actually have no idea who is going to win this, going to be a good one. Enjoy all!

Advertisement