Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass that cows eat in the fields

• 05-06-2021 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for this silly question and I have no environmental axe to grind either.
    You know the field that the cattle are in during the day, munching away happily - is that ordinary grass or is it helped by fertiliser?
    I was poking around this site and I see that silage grass is, so I reckon hay must be too, but I didn’t see anything about fresh grass.

I’ve remembered something else I was wondering about also:
    Does anyone think there is a difference in the taste of steak, depending on the part of the country it comes from? I never notice any difference and anyway I like streaks of fat through the meat to give it flavour!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some of it is improved with reseeding and grown on with fertiliser, some isn’t.

Sometimes it’s given gliding or slurry to bring it on.

Lots of developing work on having fields of “multi species” plants where they complement each other and grow more volume without fertiliser.

Fertiliser is desperately expensive, has probably increased ten fold when compared to beef prices over last 20 years. Farmers are really careful with its use, sometimes there’s a picture painted of farmers throwing out fertiliser for the sport, the opposite is true really.

Taste of beef is more to do with breed, age and how it’s butchered. Supermarkets will get it packed and onto shelves as quickly as possible, when we killed our heifer last year she was hung for 21 days before butchering to let the meat rest and mature, it makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Ok, that's great. Thank you for the explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,101 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

While I agree with Brian, I'd add that a multi species forage does change the flavour of the meat .

Danzy wrote: »
    While I agree with Brian, I'd add that a multi species forage does change the flavour of the meat .

You are what you eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You are what you eat.

Better steer clear of pig's head so !

• Advertisement

Better steer clear of pig's head so !

I would regardless of what it ate :D

I haven’t eaten nice pork in a while. I’d love a decent chop.
    It either smells strongly or feels like eating polystyrene.
    I heard of a place in rathgar that sells organic free range pork.
    I will try it sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Kewreeuss wrote: »

You should try Iberico Spanish Pork some time. The pigs are fed on acorns. You'll seriously question the meat you eat after that.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The grass that cows eat in Ireland it's just forced green sward. Because of sprays, there are no buttercups daisies or other plants to give flavour.

The cattle have such a boring diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Actually have cows eating nettle this year. Never seen it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

The grass that cows eat in Ireland it's just forced green sward. Because of sprays, there are no buttercups daisies or other plants to give flavour.

Not spraying grass for weeds or docks anymore. Tight grazing with sheep in the winter is really improving grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You should try Iberico Spanish Pork some time. The pigs are fed on acorns. You'll seriously question the meat you eat after that.

Dined on something similar in France ten years ago - like a totally different product compared to the conventional stuff in terms of flavour etc.

Actually have cows eating nettle this year. Never seen it before.

Something I've noticed recently with intensive dairy herds is that when cows are moved across a road for milking, they go mad for whatever is growing in the roadside ditches. Ivy, Cow Parsley, Brambles u name it. Suggests to me their diet of chemically forced monoculture PRG is really lacking in many essential elements:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Something I've noticed recently with intensive dairy herds is that when cows are moved across a road for milking, they go mad for whatever is growing in the roadside ditches. Ivy, Cow Parsley, Brambles u name it. Suggests to me their diet of chemically forced monoculture PRG is really lacking in many essential elements:(

Or cows being cows....

Kewreeuss wrote: »

Chicken, Pork, have all gone downhill in the last few years.fast finishing, no complexity in diet, killed much quicker.

Killed 2 pigs here one time, they had an acre of scrub and old grass, kitchen scraps, bit of silages, the falling apples of an orchard.

Meat was incredible.

If you can get the brix up in grass it's as a complete plant as you'd ever need.
    Cows know what they need.
    Same as cravings in a pregnant woman.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Or cows being cows....

You see the same thing with sheep kept on lush monoculture swards - scour and worm issues are common too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Or cows being cows....

True....
    Like us all they like something different

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

I have some species rich upland hay meadows coming into its first full flower this year and was actually wondering what effect it would have to the taste to the sheep that will graze the crop ( or hay weather permitting).

Has native grasses, plantain, meadow buttercup, yellow rattle, red clover, red bartsia, yarrow, self heal , birds foot trefoil and a couple more I can’t think off hand. Don’t think they will take to the knapweed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I have some species rich upland hay meadows coming into its first full flower this year and was actually wondering what effect it would have to the taste to the sheep that will graze the crop ( or hay weather permitting).

Has native grasses, plantain, meadow buttercup, yellow rattle, red clover, red bartsia, yarrow, self heal , birds foot trefoil and a couple more I can’t think off hand. Don’t think they will take to the knapweed though.

Waste of time being the most pious farmer in the parish if it ends up in the same frdige truck to meat markets on the continent with the rest of commodity crap. The future for farms in rich high cost western countries is putting sparkles and glitter of what ever washing is needed to make customers pay a premium via mail order meatboxes etc.

Well sold is better than better grown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wrangler wrote: »
    True....
    Like us all they like something different

Some French producers are marketing grass fed beef on the basis of regional Terroir which includes local soil, topography, and climate

Something we should have a lead on here as a lot of beef produced globally is neither grass fed or produced outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Irish farmers are always boasting about the quality of the grassland here.

It's just the same old boring forced shyte all the time. No colours in the grass. No flavours.

Such a dull diet for the cattle. It's probably some kind of animal cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

0/10 on trolling effort...

0/10 on trolling effort...

Green party vegan from Dublin. :D

Surely there are some south facing window box gardens to be tended in Govt Buildings :confused: I hear they feed all the GP hangers on around those offices just from those ledges.

Irish farmers are always boasting about the quality of the grassland here.

It's just the same old boring forced shyte all the time. No colours in the grass. No flavours.

Such a dull diet for the cattle. It's probably some kind of animal cruelty.

Bit of emulsion on it and you'd see the growth in them.

Brian says the grass doesn’t get sprayed much.
    And maybe we should push the terroir thing too, if we are extending our markets into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

A cow is very curious by nature, walk into a field with them and stand still...they'll go mad for you exactly as you describe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sounds like the other one who is always banging on about beef and farmers and generally clueless tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭emaherx

Buttercups can actually give cows a belly ache.

Very few beef cattle are fed on the type of grass you describe, they are far more likely to be fed on more natural diverse grass swards. Or weedy rough grazing as some may know it as.

It amazes me how many visitors to this forum come with the opinion that all of our grass land is either a chemical enriched monoculture or they see nothing but fields full of weeds.

Advertisement