Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some site news...we're moving! [Update in Post #138 4/6/21]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,593 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Closing an account and then opening a new one is not against the rules unless it's to get around a ban in which case the admins are usually quite good at spotting it. There is no 100% approach to this other than making people reg with real names and ID and so on which will never happen on Boards.

I don't want to get off the topic of features of the new platform so I will leave it there for now.

Nah, don't reveal the sekkrits.

Remember when the internet talked about IPv6? Whew! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely agree. I can only imagine how vBulletin is being held together by little staples and some super glue after this long and it's a long overdue upgrade.

Sure, it might take a little while to get used to. For others maybe a bit longer than that.

But given the new features already announced by Niamh and the possibilities of more when the switchover is all done over time (I'll be asking about automated vote counters for Werewolf games :D Don't worry right now guys, we will talk soon though ;) ) I am seriously looking forward to it all.

The site may change in looks a bit and we might lose some old friends (pray for pac) but in the long-term this will be a fantastic thing to keep the site going.
    #PrayForPac

:pac:

#PrayForPac

:pac:

Ah stop it you're making me nostalgic FreedomSmiley.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Overheal wrote: »
    Ah stop it you're making me nostalgic FreedomSmiley.png

Why is he Swedish?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dear god, the idea of migrating millions of posts across to a completely new platform without losing any of them or breaking any links, or exposing any PMs or any of the 10k other things that could go wrong is the stuff of nightmares!

I hope you have sent every single one of your dev and test team lavender infused foot spas and copious nay, excessive, prescriptions of valium

And anyone who complains about the delayed launch has no idea of how much work is involved in this kind of move

Best of luck guys, and if you break anything, can you please just lose all of my awful misinformed and poorly thought out posts and keep the good ones?
    Much appreciated

• Advertisement

Trigger wrote: »
    Why is he Swedish?

:D

How. Dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As it goes, dot go fixing what’s not broken.

I have big issues about losing the ability to post anonymously. That function is in place for a reason and those forums won’t be able to operate the same way without it.

Second thing that I’m nit happy with is the ability to add others to PMs, without the no knowledge of both parties, I don’t think that’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

There is not going to be a Reddit style interface and there will be no option to revert to the old site if that's what you mean.

No, no approval is required to add someone to a chat much the same as no approval is needed right now if someone wants to forward your chat to another user to read. In short, don't divulge anything too personal or sensitive unless you trust the recipient.

This is not a feedback thread for moderation, it's purely for information about the new platform and how that will work.
    Thanks for your feedback "Emmet" :)

Niamh I'd just query that part in bold as I don't believe we have that ability currently.

I just tried it and got this:

You may send your message to up to 1 people at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Purgative wrote: »
    Niamh I'd just query that part in bold as I don't believe we have that ability currently.

I just tried it and got this:

I just tried it out and i did not get
    You may send your message to up to 1 people at a time.

I sent a third parties pm to you, totally without their knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It was always possible to share PM's with other users, but I thought it was a site-bannable offence before, or at least heavily frowned upon, outside of specific PMs in relation to Dispute Resolution

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was always possible to share PM's with other users, but I thought it was a site-bannable offence before, or at least heavily frowned upon, outside of specific PMs in relation to Dispute Resolution
    Yes - anyone posting the contents of a PM sent by another user in a public forum without the permission of the sender is contravening site rules with the exception of the Dispute Resolution forum where PMs exchanged with a mod in connection to a card or forum ban may be posted without such permission

We cannot control what posters do in terms of them forwarding PMs to another user. We can act if a recipient reports a PM (which is the only way we, as Site Admins, can view the contents of a PM not sent directly to ourselves) and we conclude that site rules were breached within that PM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Beasty wrote: »
    Yes - anyone posting the contents of a PM sent by another user in a public forum without the permission of the sender is contravening site rules with the exception of the Dispute Resolution forum where PMs exchanged with a mod in connection to a card or forum ban may be posted without such permission

We cannot control what posters do in terms of them forwarding PMs to another user. We can act if a recipient reports a PM (which is the only way we, as Site Admins, can view the contents of a PM not sent directly to ourselves) and we conclude that site rules were breached within that PM

thats great but how is the person supposed to know if their PMs are being sent to somone else. unless it was something increadably specific and only shared with one user then its very hard to track where the leak was if you just hear your info back weeks later

surely the system should notify both parties if another person is being added to the chat

thats great but how is the person supposed to know if their PMs are being sent to somone else. unless it was something increadably specific and only shared with one user then its very hard to track where the leak was if you just hear your info back weeks later

surely the system should notify both parties if another person is being added to the chat
    Raalistically, it's not technically possible to prevent the forwarding of a PM as all the forwarder needs to do is copy - n - paste to get around any technical solution that prevents the original being directly forwarded.

The only way it can be policed is if the recipient reports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Raalistically, it's not technically possible to prevent the forwarding of a PM as all the forwarder needs to do is copy - n - paste to get around any technical solution that prevents the original being directly forwarded.

The only way it can be policed is if the recipient reports it.

i understand that you can never stop someone finding a way around the rules but this is a change to the rules that allows users to include others in private conversations without the knowledge or permission of all parties. thats a big diference and not one i think should be made.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am only referring to the existing system which is no different from any email system. Anyone in receipt of an email can forward it to whoever they like and the original sender may know nothing about that

Anyone who has used our PM system can see the forward option on the full site

What 12 hours to go or something like that. Good luck you crazy diamonds, have a meal plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Overheal wrote: »
    What 12 hours to go or something like that. Good luck you crazy diamonds, have a meal plan.

Nah, Niamh announced it was delayed a few days ago.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/117346713

Nah, Niamh announced it was delayed a few days ago.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/117346713

Ah. I'd upate the OP or the announcement post so I didn't know anyway :o

Niamh did put a link to that update in the OP on Friday

I'm blind ignore me. I represent blind users.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Niamh did put a link to that update in the OP on Friday

Right, but the update is so short, the delay should just be added to the title. People assume those updates are some mod note about user behaviour and rarely read them. It should actually just be a new announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hi, just wondering, with all the new “acknowledgements” for posts will these be totted up, as the currant “thanks” are?

I’m someone who, almost, exclusively uses the “touch site” so was unaware of this until quite recently. It looks like I have a pretty good ratio of “approval” from the users of this site and would hope that such esteem would carry over to this new “setup”.

Sorry, just “bumping” this as it seems to have been lost in all the nonsense and dark mode questions.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So, I bookmark (in my browser) threads on the touch site.

EG:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058019068/112

2058019068 = General Chat Thread II
    112 = Page number

Without the page number in the URL, it defaults to the first page.

Can I instead link to something like:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058019068/last

To go to the last page, or most recent post?

Will this be possible in the new site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So, I bookmark (in my browser) threads on the touch site.

EG:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058019068/112

2058019068 = General Chat Thread II
    112 = Page number

Without the page number in the URL, it defaults to the first page.

Can I instead link to something like:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058019068/last

To go to the last page, or most recent post?

Will this be possible in the new site?

Doesnt this do this already on this site?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2058019068

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Neowise wrote: »

That doesn't work on the Touch site, it defaults to the first page.
    Hopefully it will work on the new responsive site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Any updates on possible time frames for the read-only no-post phase?

During that time, will you keep us apprised of updates on Boards facebook and twitter accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You can get Boards on Facebook now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

You can get Boards on Facebook now?!

https://www.facebook.com/boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,321 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think Feedback is being monitored, I'm sure the move to the new platform is eating up everyone's time, it's a big undertaking.

• Advertisement

I don't think Feedback is being monitored, I'm sure the move to the new platform is eating up everyone's time, it's a big undertaking.
    As far as I know the admins work mon - fri 9-5, so no one will see it until the morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement